F1 Opinion 35

October’s audio podcast with Sir JYS

Ahead of our December issue – that will be in UK shops on October 28 – we sat down with Sir Jackie Stewart to record a podcast. Why ahead of our December issue? Well, Sir JYS will be the guest editor of the magazine.

opinion  Octobers audio podcast with Sir JYS

We won’t tell you too much about the upcoming content – that will have to wait for a few weeks. However, suffice to say that it should be a cracker.

opinion  Octobers audio podcast with Sir JYS

The podcast went as well as we expected and Sir Jackie’s opinions on modern Formula 1 remain as relevant as ever. We hope you enjoy it and as always, let us know what you think. Don’t forget to watch out for the Decemeber issue at the end of October, it’s not to be missed.

35 comments on October’s audio podcast with Sir JYS

1. Garry, 12 October 2011 11:29

Fantastic podcast and definitely worth the wait.

JYS is as lucid and forward thinking as ever…

I would LOVE to here more about his test sessions with the F1 cars after he retired. Cars, laptimes, etc I think it would make for interesting reading.

Thanks to all Motorsport magazine.

2. Michael Spitale, 12 October 2011 15:41

Jackie did not even blink at taking Kimi to Williams especially considering how much he likes Rubens. Great to hear Sir Jackie back the Kimster

3. Andy Muggeridge, 12 October 2011 18:54

Another excellent podcast from an excellent raconteur.
    Obviously no love lost between Jackie and Jenks – and who can blame him quite frankly.

4. István Simon, 12 October 2011 20:34

Great to hear Sir Jackie’s opinion on the current subjects – thanks, MotorSport Magazine!
    But I just can’t understand what’s the point in constantly asking Jackie Stewart those “what would have been, had he been going on racing” into the 1970s. He had a good reason to stop, and he stuck to his decision. I respect him for that much more than if he had played a Michael Schumacher in returning from retirement.
    Thanks for the memories, God bless, Jackie!

5. CH, 12 October 2011 21:03

Privilege to hear him. Thank you.
    Cannot have him back too soon for another.

6. Mario Carneiro Neto, 13 October 2011 03:30

Immensely enjoyable to listen to JYS speak, particularly because he’s still massively opinionated. Thanks a lot for this gents!

@Michael Spitale: Agreed. I’m a big Rubens fan, but WIlliams need Kimi to shake things up.

7. C C, 13 October 2011 12:07

As ever, a great Podcast. A real highlight to listen to it on my normal dull walk to work. My old Man was never a fan of JYS for a few reasons but always admired his bottle. I guess this has rubbed off on me a bit, but it was still a pleasure to listen to one of the all time greats.

If you could snare Berger, Irvine or Mansell for a future Podcast, i’m sure there’d be plenty to talk and laugh about with those characters, none of whom will hold back.

8. Hamfan, 13 October 2011 13:50

A really nice interview (again) – thanks MS team – lots and lots of interesting morsels – quite humorous at times, too.

I can’t say I’ve ever really warmed to JYS for some reason, despite my high regard for his commitment to safety when he apparently took a lot of flak, and respect for his driving record, of course, but I’m too young to remember any of it in real-time. Perhaps it’s the accent that grates, its schoolma’m-ish tone, or the caricature, borderline-sectioning-worthy ‘Scotsman’ act (only people from small, non-threatening countries can get away with such antics – would be downright scary if Schuey started strutting around in Lederhosen, espousing Germanic pride at every turn..) – or could it be that it’s always a bit ‘me, me, me’, starting every answer with ‘Back in my day..’, ‘If he’d been driving back in my day…’, etc? I think I’d like him a lot more if he’d stick to just talking about the era he drove in, rather than trying to make us think, as he really does appear to, that what was valid then is equally as valid now in more than just a general sense. Only the name, ‘F1′ is really the same – the old DRM is a world away from modern DTM, ditto for 60′s and noughties F1.

But he is truly a great of his era – and some. And his opinions on that world are worth their weight in gold.

The one big question I’d have asked, though, would be does he regret the relationship he had with the incompetents at RBS and Fred Goodwin in particular – what does he feel about RBS now? His autobiography shows him to be quite a mate of ‘pension’ Fred. Still chums?..

9. Andy Muggeridge, 13 October 2011 17:27

I do understand where you are coming from Hamfan.

I found Jackie’s autobiography abit of a let down.
    Up to the point when Stewart GP gets sold it’s fine but then it’s a series of name drops of JYS’ high profile friends “when I was on the Royal Yacht with Princess Anne……when I was playing golf with Sean Connery…..when I stayed with the King of Spain…..”zzzzzzz

Check out the revised “My Racing Life” by Derek Bell for a much much better read.
    Any chance of Derek on a podcast ??

10. Hamfan, 13 October 2011 20:05

Derek Bell would be a good one. I have the original My Racing Life, but need to be convinced the updated version adds much more – I hope he’s just added chapters from where the story left off, not revised the earlier ones – the fact that it was written in 88 or 89, fresh after his golden era with Porsche, gives it an of-its-moment feel. Great read anyway.

The Stewart autobio can be highly recommended for the racing stories/detail – especially the 68-73 peak, and the bits on Clark and Cevert, but the rest is a bit too show-offy (Mansell’s was the same, and probably most of them are, so this isn’t exactly a complaint…)

Mansell would be a good subject for a podcast – though I suspect he might have feelings towards NR not too dissimilar to Stewart’s towards Jenks, so not sure how comfortable it’d be in the studio..

Schumacher would be the ultimate catch, from the modern era, and ‘The Hakk’ would be good, too. Alan Jones and Rosberg Snr would also be interesting. I hope they have a long list of targets lined up. Long may it last – and, I might as well ask here, is there another CD compilation in the pipeline?..

11. Michael Spitale, 13 October 2011 20:07

I was very surpised he said about Stirling Moss… “Stiriling was married, but only occasionaly” I hope I heard that wrong, but that seemed a bit out of bounds

12. Tony Geran, 13 October 2011 23:03

Great podcast guys, but where’s Part 2? Would have liked to have heard some more about his time with Tyrrell, he must have some great yarns to tell about Uncle Ken? Would love to know who offered him $6,000,000 in 1981, wasn’t Ronzo per chance was it? Don’t think Bernie or Frank would have countenanced that and Ferrari had Gilles. Agree with some of the observations about JYS being too me, me, me but when you think of what he achieved it really is an amazing story. To reflect on his drive on the “original” Nordschleif in the wet and fog in 1968 still sends shudders down the spine.

13. Nigel (not that one), 14 October 2011 11:10

I LOVE hearing Uncle Ken stories, if anyone hs any please publish them!
    Good podcast guys, well worth listening to.

14. Rich Ambroson, 14 October 2011 20:52

Thank you to all at Motorsport for these podcasts. These go beyond value, frankly they are a service to the racing community. Great stuff!

I must be getting on in years, as I was surprised to hear the reminder of who Jenks was. For some reason I presumed everyone would know that, then I realized how many years I have on the clock!

Thanks again for these, they are treasures.

15. Rich Ambroson, 14 October 2011 21:31

I agree with those who note that Derek Bell would be a great guest for one of these!

16. Steven Roy, 14 October 2011 22:44

As ever JYS doesn’t disappoint. Love that the Kimi question was answered instantly with no hesitation. I an’t believe the podcast is less than an hour long though. There must be lots of good stuff that didn’t make the edit.

I like that JYS assumes his audience has some knowledge rather than the usual approach we get in the media that motor racing has to be explained as if no-one has ever seen it before.

Hamfan,

Never read such rubbish in my life.

17. Michael Spitale, 14 October 2011 23:39

I would love to hear Vettel… Reason being, he has a huge sense of history of the sport where as many others like Schumi never cared for the history. Plus Vettel does some great impersonations such as NIgel Mansell

18. Rich Ambroson, 14 October 2011 23:57

I’ve heard Vettel can quote Monty Python chapter and verse as well. He’d be a fun guest, for sure. Would love to hear his impersonation of Il Leone!

19. Michael Spitale, 15 October 2011 14:45

vettel doing mansell… go to 6:30

20. Simon Hird, 16 October 2011 16:02

A question I’d love to have answered is whether Jackie ever considered buying Tyrrell when he set up Stewart GP. Stewart Team Tyrrell would on the face of it have been a match made in heaven….

21. Hamfan, 17 October 2011 16:42

Quote: “Hamfan,
    Never read such rubbish in my life.
    JYS’s voice grates but you want to listen to Mansell? JYS too me me me but you want to listen to Mansell?”

OK, I’ll spell it out again for the hard-of-understanding (yes, that appears to be you, Steven Roy) – I said it was a good, interesting interview, despite my reservations about JYS, that what he says about his era is worth it’s weight in gold.
    Try the Oxford Reading Tree…

22. Finlay Grogan, 19 October 2011 01:00

Scary, podcast published on 12th October and JYS comments how we take it for granted that people will survive big accidents, fast forward 4 days and a champion is dead.

RIP Dan Wheldon

23. Pete, 19 October 2011 22:25

Sad indeed.

24. anthony metti, 20 October 2011 09:13

Good to hear from Sir Jackie and all due respect to the great man, it was a bit ME-ME-ME, regardless of the question.

If Sir Jackie listen to it objectively I’m sure he will agree.

25. CH, 20 October 2011 18:46

JYS on Peter Windsor’s program, Oct. 19. 1hr. interview.

26. Graham Brown, 22 October 2011 12:51

Once again MotorSport delivers in spades, thank you.
    Finlay, can only agree with the tragic irony of JYS’s comments ahead of Indycar’s black day at Las Vegas.

27. Dave the Expat, 25 October 2011 04:11

Wish I had one of those “Pod-thingies” so that I could listen also. :-(

28. fernando silva santos, 27 October 2011 20:51

I Know Sir Jackie Stewart in Portugal 1n 1971.
    It´s a great man

29. mike, 30 October 2011 02:33

always like hearing jackie’s opinions – he’s really enjoyable to listen to!

I was thinking, I always love hearing Martin Brundle’s stories but it’s always over all too soon.
    I think you guys should try and get him properly for an hour sometime, maybe over the winter?

we haven’t heard enough about his times with schumacher or about his nasty incidents or best moments in sportscars, as he always has distracting things happening.. mostly having to tell us what’s happening on screen. I often wish the action would just stop so we can hear his tales more fully

30. Andrew Bodman, 30 October 2011 07:16

I was disappointed to see some of the minor criticisms made by other readers/listners above regarding Sir Jackie Stewart. Jackie is the most successful British driver measured by his F1 World Championship wins (3) and second most successful measured by F1 wins (27). He also achieved the second best ever F1 race winning margin at the 1968 German Grand Prix: 4m 3.2s. This was at the Nürburgring Nordschleife in wet and misty conditions, a circuit dropped from the F1 calendar after the 1976 race as it was deemed too dangerous.

Jackie Stewart’s safety campaign in F1 met resistance from many quarters but he stuck with it. Had he not done so, more drivers would have lost their lives in this sport and we could have had governments imposing safety conditions on our sporting regulations rather than FISA/FIA.

At the age of 72 his mind is still sharp. In the current edition of Motor Sport Jackie lists his top five drivers of all time. He excludes Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher and I agree with this decision 100%. He also provides useful insights in his podcast which some of today’s F1 drivers could benefit from applying.

For all those requesting Nigel Mansell participates in a future podcast, you will not receive anything like the same insightful, intelligent and balanced comments. Jackie Stewart still commands respect for those that have open eyes and ears.

31. John Warnock, 2 November 2011 13:13

Well said Andrew Bodman. Jackie Stewart is and always has been a truly remarkable man; from his shooting, to his driving, business acumen, safety crusade, team management, and much more.

I think that his enormous contribution to safety at racing circuits cannot be over emphasised. It must have taken enormous determination to persist in challenging the accepted wisdom that racing was supposed to be dangerous and racing drivers were supposed to be fearless. I’m sure the vast majority of his contemporaries would now agree with his stance but he was the one who spearheaded the changes.

As for Sir Jackie’s habit of referring to his own career repeatedly, surely that’s the point of having someone with such a wealth of experience on a podcast?!

Please, please have JYS back on again. It seems to me that there are few people that are more articulate or better qualified to comment on the complete spectrum of motor racing.

32. john read, 2 November 2011 22:30

If I achieved one tenth of what JYS has, my ego would be ten times his, so I reckon we should forgive his self-references.
    I agree with Andrew.

33. Ron Donaldson, 5 November 2011 18:24

That interview with Sir Jackey Stewart is the most thought provoking I have ever heard,He has a wealth of imformation still to be tapped into even by the new drivers of today. One Idea would to asign all F1 drivers with a master mentor as Sir Jackie Stewart would be number 1. My dear departed fartherinlaw spoke so highly of Sir Jackie as they were in contact through there common interest driving,His name was Alfred Taylor and was a chauffeur for Lord Ancaster and would talk about smooth and balanced performance driving both being quality professonals. Many thanks and best wishes in future for more enlightening quality interviews.

34. Arturo Pereira, 8 November 2011 12:32

Great podcast !!

35. Alastair Warren, 11 November 2011 09:15

Nice to hear Sir JYS on the BBC coverage of FP1 from Abu Dhabi.

Thank you for another great podcast. Has ’3 litre Capri’ ever sounded cooler?

Despite any off track indiscretions by Sir Stirling Moss it was Sir Jackie that came down with Glandular fever.

_X5J5728

F1 team principals

22/04/14

Lee McKenzie discusses the team principal role in F1 after the resignation of Stefano Domenicali and the return of Ron Dennis.

Alonso-Hulkenberg

Formula 1′s minimum weight limit

04/04/14

Nigel Roebuck looks at the problems caused by Formula 1′s minimum weight limit

Massa-Bottas

Overtaking your team-mate

01/04/14

After watching Massa and Bottas in Malaysia Andrew Frankel sought the opinion of Sir Stirling Moss

Ed-Foster

Ed Foster

Read Ed's profile and more …