Race 43

Mallory Park under threat

It sounds as though Mallory Park is in a bit of a pickle. Verbal decibels have reached danger level in a row over its number of days’ usage and the noise that they generate. Its operator wants more of the former, to remain, it insists, viable in these straitened economic times, while some locals want less of the latter.

Test days have been cancelled, as have public meetings. And there is speculation that the site in Leicestershire has been earmarked for a housing estate. Circuit owner Chris Meek, a former lap record-holder, insists that he has not been approached about any such sale and that the amount of money mentioned in news stories wouldn’t even cover a deposit.

Despite the Chinese whispers, it’s undeniable that Mallory is having to revisit its working practices and the concerns that they create among its neighbours. This is hardly surprising given that the current creaking agreement has been in place since 1985. That’s a remarkable statistic when you consider how shouty the noise debate has become in recent times.

race  Mallory Park under threat

It does seem odd that you can buy a house close to a motor racing circuit and then complain about the mechanised row drifting over your fence or hedge. As someone who used to live at the end of a Heathrow runway, I am inclined to write: tough!

That’s a sentiment I once expressed to a lady who bought a house on the boundary of a cricket ground and complained on the day that she moved in about a ball landing in her garden. I took the opportunity to also snarkily point out that her new abode was directly beyond deep midwicket, a scoring area beloved by 2nd XI sloggers.

She refused to return the ball.

Fortunately, I will not be involved in the Mallory Park negotiations.

I should also point out that, according to Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council, the complainants are not all new residents; some have lived in nearby Kirkby Mallory village for many years.

The same council document alludes to physical threats and to concerns over people from outside the borough flooding it to express their support for the circuit. The former is completely unacceptable: from either side. The latter is understandable from both points of view.

race  Mallory Park under threat

As motor sport fans, we feel compelled to help. It’s important, however, that we express our viewpoint while maintaining both an emotional and physical distance. Wading in won’t help. A resolution will require calm heads and reasoned argument. It’s been done before – 28 years ago – and so it can be done again, even though attitudes have changed and apparently hardened since.

Let’s hope the figures that I’ve read are opening bids with room for manoeuvre.

Let’s hope the matter can be kept out of the courts. For that way lie delay, disaster and disappointment.

And let’s hope that this year is not Mallory Park’s last. For it has packed a lot into its 1.35 miles during the preceding 57.

Actually, there has been a sporting venue at this former WWII RAF Standby Landing Ground – the lake in the middle is a later addition – since 1948. Initially it was used for horse trotting, and then for grasstracking – bikes and sidecars – before being metalled in 1955.

Mallory as we know it was opened in April 1956 by Bob Gerard, the redoubtable, bespectacled Leicester racer who twice came within a place of scoring a World Championship point in 1950 aboard his highly developed pre-war ERA.

race  Mallory Park under threat

The inaugural meeting was for motorbikes and, in truth, the two- and three-wheeled brigades have had the greater affinity with the place: the British Touring Car Championship stopped its visits after 1982; the British Superbike Championship attended as recently as 2010.

John Surtees, Bob McIntyre, Mike Hailwood and Barry Sheene have won there. The most famous bike victory, however, was scored by Derby’s John ‘Mooneyes’ Cooper, whose BSA Rocket, cheered to the echo by 50,000, pipped the supposedly unbeatable MV Agusta of multiple world champion Giacomo Agostini at the 1971 Race of the Year.

Cars’ heyday occurred in the 1960s and ’70s.

In 1962, Surtees, now in his guise of racing driver, won the International 2000 Guineas on Whit Monday to give Lola its only Formula 1 victory under its own name. Jim Clark had put his Lotus 25 on pole but was never in the hunt because of fading oil pressure.

Pure F1 did not return until the national Aurora AFX Championship of 1978, with Geoff Lees giving local marque Ensign a victory. The series returned later that year and Queenslander Bruce Allison won, I kid you not, the Dave Lee Travis Trophy in a March 781.

race  Mallory Park under threat

By 1980, Chilean Eliseo Salazar was squirting his RAM-run Williams FW07 round in fewer than 40 seconds.

Formula 5000 somehow rumbled its thunder round, too – with wins for Peter Gethin, Hailwood, Graham McRae, Alan Rollinson, Keith Holland, Steve Thompson, David Hobbs, Bob Evans, Guy Edwards, Teddy Pilette and David Purley. Holland also took a McLaren for a dip in the lake.

Aussie tin-top oppos Frank Gardner and Brian ‘Yogi’ Muir scored wins in both Ford Falcon Sprint and Chevrolet Camaro. At a squeeze.

This compact track was – sorry, is – better suited to nimble Formula 2s and the cheeky Minis of John Rhodes, Warwick Banks and John Handley, plus the Saab 96 of Björn Rothstein and BMW 700 of Hubert Hahne. The latter pair fought an epic three-hour battle in 1963 in what was the ETCC’s fourth ever round.

Mallory’s F2 highlights included Jochen Rindt’s debut pole of 1964, Ronnie Peterson’s spectacular crash at the Esses of ’71, and Dave Morgan’s humbling of the works teams the following year in Ed Reeves’ updated Brabham BT35 on narrower tyres that suited the chilly conditions.

race  Mallory Park under threat

Mallory Park’s future is what really matters. But its history – even the farcical land-and-lake invasion by the Bay City Rollers’ hysterical teenaged Tartan Army at a 1975 Radio 1 Fun Day – is an inextricable part of why it matters.

As a total by the by, I noticed that the International 2000 Guineas was the 11th of 22 non-championship F1 races held in 1962. These races took the sport through from January to December, and from South Africa to South Africa via New Zealand, Belgium, Norfolk, Sussex, Pau, Liverpool, Northants, the Bay of Naples, SE20, Champagne, Solitude, Sweden, Sicily, Denmark, Cheshire, Mexico and an airfield in Western Australia.

That’s a lot of effort for zero points. So I retrospectively awarded some on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis.

And that year’s winner of my Non-Championship World Championship was: Jim Clark. His 58.5 points included four outright victories – plus one he shared with Team Lotus colleague Trevor Taylor in Mexico – and a trio of second places.

The consistent Bruce McLaren (three wins) was the runner-up on 49 points, followed by Graham Hill (two wins) on 40, ‘Yorkshire Trev’ (2.5 wins) on 35.5 and, with a victory apiece, Innes Ireland and Jack Brabham on 35 and 29.

The other race-winners were Willy Mairesse (two for Ferrari) and – all with one each – Lorenzo Bandini, Masten Gregory, Dan Gurney, Stirling Moss, Surtees and Maurice Trintignant.

race  Mallory Park under threat

But there was a twist. My concurrent eight-round British Non-Championship Championship – with rounds at Snet, Goodwood (twice on the same day,) Aintree, Silverstone, Mallory and Crystal Palace (held on the same day), plus Oulton Park – was won by a single point by: Graham Hill, the man who would pip Clark to that year’s real World Championship.

While Clark was retiring at Mallory Park in June – a similar problem would really cost him dear at East London in December – Hill was in the process of winning the four-cylinder class in Rob Walker’s Lotus 18/21. His third place that day made all the difference.

In my hypothetical world at least. Life is so much more straightforward there.

race  Mallory Park under threat

43 comments on Mallory Park under threat

1. Paul Havell, 7 March 2013 10:52

As one of the guys running @savemallory on twitter, I’d just like to say what a well written and informed piece this is.
    We as supporters of Mallory agree entirely that “mob handed” is not the way forward and we would distance ourselves from any such action.
    We do however wholeheartedly support the circuit in any of its endeavours to remain a viable race circuit and will assist to that end in any way we can.

2. Dave Webster, 7 March 2013 18:07

If one lives on a beach, one may expect to be flooded twice daily. The Mallory Park Circuit has been in existance since the 1950′s. I have to regard those who choose of their own free will to buy a house adjacent to a motor racing circuit, then complain about the noise, to be plain bonkers! I lived at Newbold Verdon, next door to Kirby Mallory; we could hear the noise; we lived with it. There were sheep in the field next door; we didn’t complain about them either!

3. Mick Blizzard, 7 March 2013 20:48

I have so many Mallory memories… My first Motorsport experience in the very early 60′s. being frozen to within an inch of my life in between races sat in the Gerard’s grandstand, needing a tractor to pull my Dads Triumph Herald out of the mud by the foot bridge.
    When I was old enough to have my own car and tackle the Hinckley one way system on the way to the track,then mistakenly going in through the competitors entrance and being told the guy in front had made the same mistake,but “he’d been told which way to go so follow him” and ending up driving through the gate onto Shaws and finding myself in the paddock ! Magic moment ;-)
    Who can forget the Red Rovers Capri in the supersaloons.
    The Formula 5000′s , Minis in the same race as huge American saloons.
    The chaos at the Radio 1 meet. And one Mr Noel Edmonds hiding in his caravan after stuffing his Mk 3 GTX Cortina.

I’m still going after 57 years and so must Mallory.

4. Listerine, 8 March 2013 00:10

Very sad to hear about the threat to this fine old circuit, but the name of the sponsor on Salazar’s FW07 cockpit sides made me laugh in the context.

5. Dave Cook, 8 March 2013 10:16

Ah, that Radio 1 meet….. KIds running across the track in front of the clubmans cars doing 120 plus, wombles falling out of VW campers. Mad.

6. Daryl McGrath, 8 March 2013 12:26

Bloody NIMBY’s….

And that goes for all circuits where the NIMBY brigade are getting more of their own way.

7. chris b, 8 March 2013 14:58

i am a bit mystified by the nimby’s and their ambitions to limit other’s enjoyment and as other’s say, [a] why move there in the first place [b] why stay there- beyond me, we had a similar thing at Croft and you just wonder

what i would add is that it seems Mallory is hardly promoting itself and that’s a shame, its a nice little circuit and friendly – perhaps MS you could take a leaf out of the ‘olden’ day when there was a comprehensive fixture list per month – that was useful

8. John, 8 March 2013 15:16

The problem seems to be that Mallory has been exceeding the agreed number of events days. Granted, this has been part of an attempt to make the circuit a viable business, but it’s still a move hardly calculated to win friends in the surrounding area. As far as I can tell, there are a very small minority of residents who have a problem with the presence of the circuit, but there’s a slightly larger one who, with some justification, have a problem with noise on an ever – increasing number of weekends and weekdays. That said, Mallory is one of my favourite small circuits and I hope they can reach some sort of agreement with locals.

9. Phil Rainford, 8 March 2013 17:26

If you wish to sign ..this has been set up

Phil

10. Andrew Scoley, 9 March 2013 07:38

The perfect venue for Formula E then. Hope the issue gets resolved in the circuits favour, a bit of give and take on both sides perhaps.

The paint job on the FWO7′s a bit iffy, but the car still looks great compared to today’s dog’s breakfast F1 cars.

Remember watching Mike Wilds in a F3000 car chasing someone in a F5000 car in some libre race there in the late 80s early 90s, great fun.

11. Daryl McGrath, 9 March 2013 12:19

Andrew Scoley, the F5000 was likely being driven by Tony Trimmer in a Lola T330/2. He used to ring the neck of that thing, I had the pleasure of seeing him thrash it around Mondello here in Ireland a number of times. Trimmer was a libre stalwart through the 80′s and early 90′s. I think Richard Lyons races that car now, or at least the tub of it built up with other bits.

12. Andrew Scoley, 12 March 2013 08:01

Daryl, I think you are probably right on that one, seems to ring a bell.

13. Ralph Wall, 21 March 2013 12:57

been going to mallory over 50 years for bike racing would be a complete disaster if it was no more, hope this nonsense gets resolved

14. David Hanson, 21 March 2013 13:53

The Mallory Park Cicuit has been established for 57 years and has been a well supported leisure activity. How can local residents who have chosen to live nearby since 1955 complain when they know fullwell that motor racing is noisy !.Surely the cicuit has a strong case for an established use.

15. Hugh Freeman, 21 March 2013 19:09

I’ve raced (sort of!) at the track several times, and now use it once or twice a year as a test venue for younger riders using my bikes. Apart from being one of the few remaining circuits to allow ‘proper’ ACU testing sessions every week, it has some of the most accommodating staff I have ever come across. Long live the ‘Friendly Circuit’
    Hugh

16. Dave Middleton, 21 March 2013 22:28

Great days riding and watching classics at the VMCC festival of 100 bikes. Hope this is not the last year.

17. John, 22 March 2013 12:22

Bloody do gooders. Next step golf course for it I suppose.

18. Wacky, 22 March 2013 17:21

Unfortunately its the sign of the times where people wish to spoil things for others by complaining and whinging when they knew the circuit was there on purchase of said house.
    The main trouble is their opinion’s get heard along with a sympathetic ear and places like mallory park suffer!
    I do hope there is someone in authority that can resolve this problem and go tell the whingers to…..
    Just look at that superb write up with all the great sporting legends, what about the future racers, where are they going to compete?
    Laterz Wacky

19. Stuart Dunn, 23 March 2013 18:01

This news really saddens me. It worries me where the country is heading when it comes to motorsport, it seems that everyone seems to want to moan about something, which if there is a noise I can understand however this is the reason I chose not to live near an air port, or next to a main road.
    We all have our pastimes and we all have hobbies, I just wish folk would leave this one be, as before long, this industry will be another destin for the history book. Also Mallory is steeped in history, and to loose such a historical place, is simply wrong, if it were a tree, or a building, it may well be protected! The classic car market is booming, along with this are the historical motorsport groups and up to date motorsport groups, the last thing we need to do is drive this abroad also, and by threating iconic venues like Mallory is doing such a thing. To the moaners, please please please find something else to moan about!

20. Dave Wall, 25 March 2013 10:56

Training Ground

How shortsighted people are. While those who CHOSE to live next to a Motor Race Circuit do not want their Sunday mornings disturbed(most have commuted on test days) it is worthwhile pointing out to residents in the wider council catchment just how much income is brought to the area. Also a number of Motorsport businesses have established over the years as a result of the “Friendly Circuit”

It is unfortunate that the resident race school found it necessary to de-camp to its purpose built circuit at Prestwold near Loughborough in the interest of economics and flexibility of use (Incidently overcoming protests from locals, including a couple of tintack sabotage efforts!)

For many years Everyman Motor Racing incorporated into its popular and ground breaking Driving Experience days the ARDS courses for those wishing to take up Motor Racing at an amateur or professional level and it was a great privelege to train and certificate hundreds of drivers, many who went on to become household names in the sport/industry.

Having also run race teams I know that everyone will concur when I say that Mallory is(was) the best value in money and the set up of the circuit for testing. If you can make a car handle round Mallory you have a base set up for every circuit in the country(World!)

We must stick together and fight in the pits,on the track and on the spectator banking. Any campaign will have my full support.

Dave Wall

Senior Instructor at Mallory for 23 Years

21. Terry Jacob, 27 March 2013 18:55

Forty years after its closure I still mourn the passing of Crystal Palace , we need to defend all the tracks we have .

22. David Huddleston, 28 March 2013 15:54

I first went there in 1957 aged 12. My parents did not know where it was other than somewhere near Hinckley. An AA patrolman on his motor bike was stopped and managed to find directions for us. I still have the programme. When I could drive a friend and I went to all the meetings in the mid/late Sixties. I then competed there occasionally, or at least I started when everyone else did! Happy Days! A great little circuit which needs saving

23. pete, 9 April 2013 18:34

The answer is simple, rather than sell/close the circuit, buy all of the house of the people who object and rent them out to motor sport lovers.

24. MICK MORRALl, 30 April 2013 21:39

It will be a very sad day if a few people who are not motor sport fans can get such a fabulous venue closed . I suppose they can always go and make loads of noise at football matches and no one moans . My memorise of Mallory Park go back 60yrs watching grasstrack racing as a child , seeing Dick & Jim Tolley / Eric Oliver /Bill Evans etc , and then when i had my own transport watching Chris Vincent in them days invincible , Max Deubel on his B M W Owen Greenwood on his controversaul 3 wheeler , watching Agustine / Mike Hailwood / John [mooneyes] Cooper , Dereck Minter to name a few , and then there was all the car meetings Minis / Anglias / Mustangs / Camaros / Cortinas and many more . I went to the British Rally Cross championship meeting what a shambles no programs when we arrived, no speakers on the Stebbe Straight no one had any idea what was going on , so much time wasted getting cars onto the grid between heats . Not the ussual slick meetings we are used to at Mallory Park .

25. Russell, 1 May 2013 17:31

I recently bought a house in Kirkby Mallory , and live 500 yds away from the entrance .

I can hear a small amount of noise , but nothing to get bothered about and I must say I quite like it .

I’d rather it stays ,” Better the devil you Know”

26. Bob Venstone, 4 May 2013 19:41

I first went to Mallory Park when I was twenty years of age. I am now 73. How can people stupid enough to either move to a house next to a race track or event build one near it and the complain about the noise.

27. kieron france, 15 May 2013 17:45

I really do hope that we can save Mallory park I have some great memories of this place my first ever motorcycle track day and eight more since its a brilliant place and I do tend to agree why do people decide to live by a race track and then complain its beyond me I wonder if I build a house next to Gatwick airport do you reckon I could get that closed down I doubt it .

28. Mark Vernon, 16 May 2013 10:21

I am a past Mallory motorcycle champion and cannot believe the age old argument, the track was there before most families get over it or get out . When you buy a house you do a local search and I’m sure most have heard of Mallory Park and Kirkby Mallory being a race track venue. I Have given the best part of my life to motorcycle sport and most of it at Mallory, they are great people at a wonderful venue, why do people seem hell bent on shutting Mallory, I don’t get it. Sorry if I sound like I’m a angry ranter, that’s cos I am.

29. Chris, 19 May 2013 16:33

I took my son to Mallory today as I haven’t been for a few years and was surprised to find there was no racing.
    Having found this website I am surprised to see that local residents are complaining about the noise. If you buy a house near a race track, you have no right to then complain about the noise from racing engines, just the same as moving near an airport etc etc etc

30. Dave Brierley., 22 May 2013 20:28

Mallory is my local circuit. I love its intimacy, history and the enthusiasts who use it or watch racing there. As such I’d love to live in the village! And as has already been said, ‘ You buy a house next to etc’.
    We MUST keep Mallory alive and in the hands of people like Chris who know how important this circuit is and continue to manage it as befits its unique place in British MotorSport.

31. Mrs Christine Wright, 25 May 2013 08:47

I am one of those people (old) who has been involved in all aspects of motorcycle and motor racing events for many years, and upset to learn that the residents of Mallory are complaining about the noise?
    Please reconsider your views! Either go out for the day or, better still, never buy a property near a race track
    Maybe if you took the trouble to go and talk and meet the riders and their families, you could possibly change your mind?
    Remember many people complain about ‘the younger generation’ not working or getting up to mischief, is it not better that they are interested in having a hobby (although I realize it is expensive) but if you are a spectator, it just involves paying an entrance fee to cheer on your favourite rider?
    Have you ever considered that most young riders etc. have to learn about engineering and how an engine is constructed?
    So PLEASE before you carry on your vendetta, just stop and think what unhappiness this would cause to many people.
    Just a passing comment, my grandson is riding (enduro) this weekend and he and his friends are just outside my back door, preparing their bikes!!

25th May 2013.

a

32. David Thomas, 28 May 2013 18:32

Typical modern society, balls to the historic meaning of the track, the amount of memories skidded into the history books, all that matters is when some person bought a cheap house next to the race course ( I say cheap, I mean cheaper than the same house in the next town, purely down to the fact their is a whopping race track in their back yard) they now think they have the right to complain. If you ask me this is where this country is going down the pan, there are councils willing to demolish or run out of business these historic sites just to please the few. My home towns high street is a complete mess because the council officials have no back bone to say lets preserve our country by preserving the history of every town. I am relatively young 27, and I find it so irritating (trying to stay composed) that this is allowed to happen, instead of trying to please the few people who are to miserable to embrace such things which make the town they live in special they are trying to ruin it and the council are accepting this. It’s always the same and it needs to stop! Soon we will be a blander place to live, when mowing your garden has a council partition against it because its too noisy. So to make a few people happy they are going to ruin it for 1000′s who have used this place and who are still using it! It’s time to wake up and smell the coffee!! The government are taking the great out of our once proud country one historic place at a time, I fear for my children and their children. I hope the race track is to be able to operate as usual.

33. Arthur Bailey, 30 May 2013 19:42

I have been visiting Mallory Park since the 1960′s although I have not been for about 5years now I am retired and live in Norfolk.
    Mallory is a special circuit, especially for bikes, which is my first love, (I have also been to many car meetings also).
    I hope that everyone who is trying to close this wonderful circuit will understand that a small amount of noise and disruption is nothing to the.amount of extra noise and traffic that building a housing estate will cause. I know as I bought a new house at the start of a large estate in Loughborough years ago, and we had noise, dust and constant traffic with lorries for over two years.
    Please think that to change from a race circuit to a building site will be a decision you will soon regret.

34. Richard Leason, 5 June 2013 13:11

I have lived in Mallory for 20 years, and moved here with full knowledge of the noise created by the track. I have no problems with the racing, quite happy to endure the chaos of traffic on sundays, no complaints about a reasonable increase in the amount of noisy days as I understand that it has to be a viable business, the problem started when a motorcross track was built next to the village and then used 2 or 3 times a week. the start of the current debate was a drifting event weekend that went on till 2 am. If the track had not had complete disregard for the planning conditions, ie ‘taking the p**s’, and just requested a reasonable relaxing of conditions then none of this would have happened. One final thought, if the road you lived on was up-graded to a motorway would you feel the right to complain? after all there was a road there when you bought your house!

35. Vickie Broadbent, 7 June 2013 20:10

I read with interest your comments on the grand history of Mallory Park, I ask what are they offering now? There is no history being made. the Superbikes have deserted them and they resort (sorry about spelling or grammar) to events that other tracks are not able to hold

This track is not on the outskirts or even on the peripheral, it is in the heart of our village. The roads surrounding are narrow and have weight restrictions on them. #

This business was purchased with the restrictions in place although I understand that they may have been mislead.

Perhaps you and your and your readers can understand that over the last few years they have abused their planning. Drifting. Motorcross, etc. Then you will understand that residents are reluctant to compromise

Reply to me directly I would love to have a discussion

36. rod harpham, 27 June 2013 18:58

i live 5miles by bike from mallory park ,and have been a race marshall for a few years. i can hear the bike noise driffting across and it make me feel good knowing that i have a world wide know race circuit close by that has been used by the best racer in the world, i am so proud of it and cannot belive the it is once again under threat and even worse for housing, why do people buy property close to a venue like that if they are willing to enjoy it of tolerate it, as a youth i live with the midland mail railway line running across the bottom of the garden, i hardley heard it after a while. if this continues and we always try to please the minorities there will come a time when every thing is banded because somone disaproves.QED

37. Andrew Farrow, 30 June 2013 17:55

I have been visiting mallory for many years now. The local residents have always suported the track what is different now

38. Alun Joyce, 3 July 2013 21:07

I for one have been at the sharp end of organising motor sport meeting mainly for motor cross and have seen so many tracks lost over the last 25 years the best one was because of newt turds no newts but thought it was newt poop.The tree huggers got there claws into it and the rest is history, there has been a lot of problems with the transision back to 4stroke machines what altho they are not louder persay the noise carries further and thud gives greater cause for consern.

now the good bit i will be there tomorrow for the first time to go around the track on a track day so bed time now and hope this isnt my first and last visit to the track.

39. Gary Dickerson, 7 July 2013 19:31

In 1971 i was a very excited 7 year old shouting for Cooper.(Still prefer the sound of the MV though). I have many fond memories of attending the race of the year each year with my parents and younger brother in dads Ford Thames 15CWT camper. I last attended Mallory 15 or so year ago (with my parents) when the above was re enacted.It brought tears to my eyes!!
    Now as i am approaching 50 i am going again to the Festival of 1000 bikes.( with my parents) ..
    Cant persuade my own wife and kids to come though.
    Thats enough meandering thoughts from me,this wonderful circuit cannot be allowed to close there are far too many people like myself who have fond memories of Mallory.Ok i wish i had gone more often but then we all have regrets.
    See you next weekend, i may be found in the bar with a huge smile on my face and a tear in my eye…

40. Dave fletcher, 9 July 2013 21:46

It’s a shame it’s come to this Malory is brill . Think it’s all to do with money .

41. Robert Wills, 10 July 2013 09:15

I don’t get it, if you choose to move next to a Motor Racing circuit, or indeed have lived in the vicinity of one for some time, surely there is no legal grounds, for a resident to complain. I live on a busy road, and close to the A14, does that give me the right to complain about traffic noise, and rally to close them down, no it doesn’t. And that goes for the same as anyone else choosing to live in a City, or near an airport or close to industry. Motorsport makes noise, full stop, for me a beautiful sound that I could live with day in, day out. Some people have nothing better to do. Motorsport has enough to deal with without this.

42. Boris Cross, 11 July 2013 11:08

I would be most unhappy to see Mallory closed as I have had many happy hours there over the years. I was there when John Cooper beat Ago. It would be very strange to close a sporting venue in this post Olympic era but then I guess motor sport does not count to the running / jumping not to forget footballing (oh how I wish I could) establishment.

43. John Marsh, 29 November 2013 21:25

Totally enjoyed the history of Mallory Park , and over the years the racing at the friendly circuit .
    This is a tradition of racing that must continue . The circuit needs to survive for the sake of grass roots racing .

Gavin-Milner

Corvette’s great day at Long Beach

22/04/14

Olly Gavin on Corvette’s double podium at Long Beach and his fun weekend at the Goodwood Members’ Meeting

Gene-Haas

Can Haas reverse the tide of history?

22/04/14

Gordon Kirby hopes that Gene Haas’s forthcoming Formula 1 effort can be successful

Marc Marquez 4

Marc Márquez: “He’s playing”

16/04/14

Mat Oxley explains just what sets Marc Márquez’s riding style apart from his rivals’

paul-fearnley

Paul Fearnley

Read Paul's profile and more …