F1 History Sports Cars 41

February’s podcast with Derek Bell

We always knew an hour spent with five-time Le Mans winner Derek Bell would be an hour well spent.

But we didn’t realise just how amusing it would be. Indeed – this is the first podcast that finishes with an impromptu round of applause.

sports cars history  Februarys podcast with Derek Bell

Derek is so full of stories that we could have spent the entire afternoon in the office listening to his tales. We’ve got in as many as possible, from Formula 1 and sports cars, but if you’re still not satisfied (we think you will be) there’s always his book Derek Bell: My Racing Life. We hope you enjoy it.

If you would like to subscribe to these podcasts then visit our podcast feed or our iTunes page.

41 comments on February’s podcast with Derek Bell

1. Paul, 29 February 2012 10:20

Chaps, Audi still have good reason to race at Le Mans against themselves. Beating Peugeot was never a headline for them, it’s always been about proving “Vorsprung Durch Technik” – be it, FSI, TDI, VTG through the years and this year, hybrid technology. It’s all about proving how efficient, economical and indeed at last year’s race, safe, their cars are.

It is said, that one stipulation from VAG with Porsche coming back to Le Mans against Audi (+Toyota and whomever else by 2014) is that they each have to prove different technologies and take different solutions to answer the question of how to build an LMP1 car.

2. Michael Spitale, 29 February 2012 22:43

Derek talks 1000 miles per hour… I am not sure Derek came up for air… great stories as always

3. Mario Carneiro Neto, 29 February 2012 23:14

PHENOMENAL!

It really would be nice to hear current manufacturers on the WEC say “Sometimes it’s best to let one of our private teams win…”… Different times…

Amazing podcast, my favorite so far. Thanks, gents!

4. Michael Spitale, 1 March 2012 02:26

I would LOVE to get a podcast with one of the 6 Champs on the grid…. I know it would be difficult to get any of them to do it but none the less….

5. rob widdows, 1 March 2012 15:18

Yes, Audi and VW always trying to perfect new technologies and those lucky enough to drive a new Audi will know just how good they are.
    Nothing is impossible. We always try to get the best guess we can. Current F1 drivers are more difficult, yes, but we will try to get one this year. We also would like to sit round the podcast table with at least one of those six……….!
    Thanks for all your comments and glad you enjoyed it.
    RW

6. gary trenham, 1 March 2012 20:33

This is only the second MM podcast that i have listened to and must say how enjoyable it was. I found it informative & entertaining & am eagerly awaiting the next installment. Well done & keep up the good work.

7. James Walker, 1 March 2012 21:06

I’ve spent the day telling anyone who’ll listen, and several who wouldn’t to download this podcast. The most telling tribute to the storytelling qualities of the man is that there was not a peep from the rest of the team…in fact I think I only heard a small snippet from Nigel. A stunning series of podcasts… but this month’s was nothing short of brilliance.

8. Martin McAllen, 2 March 2012 00:48

Each month I think the podcast’s get better and better, but this one will surely be very hard to top. Great driver with great stories, the round of applause at the end sums it up. Listened to it twice already.

9. David Hock, 2 March 2012 01:11

Terrific. Thanks so much. The pub talk that followed must have been equally good. Lucky you all.

10. rich, 2 March 2012 01:15

Great guest!

11. Alastair Warren, 2 March 2012 05:06

I wonder what the Motor Sport magazine fans in the Pentagon made of the tea tray? I don’t think that would provide much downforce.

Another great podcast. Thank you.

12. rob widdows, 2 March 2012 12:01

Thanks very much everybody, we are just pleased that so many of you enjoyed the show with Derek. Sadly, we won’t always be able to call in a star guest but we certainly try to get as many as we can. But you’re right – it will be tough to follow this month’s offering!
    Next show should be with you towards the end of March when we’ll take a look at the first Grands Prix of the new season.
    RW

13. dave cubbedge, 2 March 2012 17:17

great entertainment! thanks to Derek Bell and to Motorsport for putting this on. Fantastic listen!

14. rob widdows, 3 March 2012 15:55

Thanks. We’d like to do more podcasting but, as always, ‘resources’ are the problem, or should I say the challenge.
    We are actively seeking a sponsor…………………anyone out there who’d like a global audience that is increasing all the time?,…………………….
    RW

15. Frank, 5 March 2012 01:07

Another great podcast, excellent work. For future reference, when one of your guests asks if it’s okay to tell the story of their time driving for Ferrari in the 60′s the answer is always yes – there seemed to be a bit of hesitation there!

16. Andrew 27, 5 March 2012 19:05

Terrific. The Masta Kink incident was brilliantly related. The comment which really struck a chord with me and is something which Tilke et al have got wrong, is the number of corners incorporated into modern circuits. (Yes, OK, I know the Nurburgring has 187 or something, but that’s different!)

I really think for instance that Silverstone has been ruined. I loved the old track, even if for me that included the Woodcote chicane because I didn’t ever see the original, the rest of the track was fantastic. As Alain Prost once commented, the old new Silverstone was good but he wished the old track remained too.This latest incarnation does nothing for me whatsoever.

A bit of this thinking appeared also in Mike Thackwell’s interview when he said how much he enjoyed the long corner and straight into Tarzan at Zandvoort.

Anyway, Signor Bell was a joy to listen to.

17. Rich Ambroson, 5 March 2012 21:45

Stellar.

18. Piero Dessimone, 6 March 2012 10:47

Excellent !

19. David, 28, 8 March 2012 15:08

I know you don’t get any budget for these podcasts (by the sounds of it) so I wanted to give some feedback.

I haven’t read motorsport before (Autosport reader) but found the Derek Bell podcast on I-Tunes. I then listened to the Jackiew Stewart one.

Both were excellent and I enjoyed them thoroughly. Decided this was a magazine I needed to know more about and have taken out a subscribtion (today).

Hope this feedback helps you continue to do these podcasts!

20. Chris Hall, 8 March 2012 22:58

David, make sure you download the Brian Redman one and enjoy !!

21. Tony Geran, 11 March 2012 23:36

Great stuff guys. For the record anyone interested should get themselves a copy of the 956 In car DVD with video of all the tracks WSC raced at in 1984. Absolutely breathtaking stuff especially Le Mans and Nurburgring with superb commentary from Mr Bell. Remains my favourite motorsport DVD.

22. C C, 16 March 2012 15:28

I have to agree with those above.

I finished listening to this one on the way to work today (always the highlight of my walk to work). I didn’t know much about Derek’s F1 & F2 days, and his story telling was absolutely gripping and hilarious all at the same time. He really painted pictures with his words.

One of the best guests you’ve had on. Fantastic Stuff

More Please….(and lets get the Podcasts up to 90minutes if at all possible – this being one that could have easily gone the distance).

23. john miller, 16 March 2012 15:48

Wow.

A man who speaks as he drove.

Fast and for a long time…

Great stuff!

24. Andy Muggeridge, 17 March 2012 15:50

A brilliant podcast. As good if not better than the Brian Redman one of a couple of years ago.
    Derek is a true legend – surely a candidate for the MotorSport Hall of Fame ?
    His book My Racing Life is one of my favourites.
    Terrific entertainment.

25. Brian Redman, 19 March 2012 14:15

Hot Damn……beaten by Derek – again! Brian

26. Ed Foster, 19 March 2012 14:28

A view of one Brian!

We’ll have to get you both in together soon.

EF

27. Andy Muggeridge, 19 March 2012 19:15

During Brian’s podcast he said he was working on a book.
    Where is it ?! Should be a great read.

28. Al W, 23 March 2012 10:34

Another great podcast featuring one of my motorsport heroes, thank you MS. Great stories and attitude to life from one of the good guys

29. Joe Machado, 23 March 2012 23:57

Derek has always been one of my favorite drivers. I have had the priviledge of meeting him here in Florida at several different venues. He is a gentleman as much as he is one of the greates drivers of all times.

30. Corrado Bonfanti, 26 March 2012 17:31

What a great podcast. Mr. Bell is extremely entertaining and his stories are just fascinating. And you guys are doing a fantastic job. Thanks a million.

31. Bert Brown, 30 March 2012 19:23

What a great podcast! Too bad you didn’t let it go on for another 3 hours! Derek sounded like he had enough material to fill the time. Thanks Derek and the Motor Sport guys.

32. Mike, 31 March 2012 08:09

This was amazing, full of great stories…. when’s the next one?

33. Sad, 1 April 2012 14:52

So no march podcast then? Would appreciate some sort of release date in future insted of checking the website each day after the 15th of a month and being disapointed 16 times in a row.

34. Ed Foster, 2 April 2012 08:50

Sad:

Sorry for the delay in the next podcast. It’s very hard to specify which day we are going to do them because getting a guest and Nigel and Rob all in on the same day (while trying to avoid the magazine deadline) is never easy!
    We are recording one this week though with the new BBC F1 commentator Ben Edwards. It’ll be online on Thursday morning!
    Sorry again for the wait, but I suppose if you want to look on the bright side… they are all free!

EF

35. Nigel (not that one), 2 April 2012 12:55

Sad, that comes accross as a bit stroppy/ungrateful bearing in mind you’re getting some bloody excellent entertainment for chuff all.

36. Happy, 2 April 2012 14:46

Thank you very much Ed I’m looking forward to it ben’s a great guy, Nigel to be ungrateful you have to be disinterested, if i was disinterested i wouldn’t check 15 times a month. I love these podcasts and i am thankfull for everything that i love, if you want to call me impatient though that’s a fair cop.

37. Tom, 4 April 2012 20:33

The only downside of listening to Ben Edwards this year is the long wait before it starts… Always enjoyed his work so I’m looking forward to this one.

38. Peter, 18 April 2012 16:40

What a wonderful hour. What an interesting and entertaining human being!
    Where could we see I see the in car footage of him round le Mans that he mentioned?

39. Alan Maxted, 25 April 2012 12:50

What a lovely man – such great stories – so well told.

40. James Dawson, 10 October 2012 03:27

That was the best Motorsport podcast I have listened too a fantastic insight into the life driving experiences of the Best Sportscar driver of the modern era. Thanks Derek Bell for your effort to providing a very Special interview.

41. NBRADLEY, 2 February 2013 21:42

Only on listening to this and researching do I realise DB lives about 5 miles from me…seen him at Goodwood lots and to read the comments on here and on other websites/forums is very heart warming. So elequent and urbane. Bravo Derek !

Gavin-Milner

Corvette’s great day at Long Beach

22/04/14

Olly Gavin on Corvette’s double podium at Long Beach and his fun weekend at the Goodwood Members’ Meeting

Hesketh

The marvel of Hesketh Racing

22/04/14

Andrew Frankel recounts the unlikely story of Hesketh Racing and James Hunt’s win in only its car’s third race

Ed-Foster

Ed Foster

Read Ed's profile and more …