Indycar 31

March’s audio podcast with Dario Franchitti

Well here we are, the March podcast! Dario Franchitti has not only won the IndyCar series three times and the Indianapolis 500 twice, but he is also a great podcast guest as we’re sure you’ll agree.

indycar  Marchs audio podcast with Dario Franchitti

Many thanks to the Royal Automobile Club this month, who very kindly let us record the podcast in its Pall Mall HQ.

We hope you enjoy it and – as always – do let us know what you think.

31 comments on March’s audio podcast with Dario Franchitti

1. Garry Honiball, 18 March 2011 12:28

A brilliant podcast. To hear a current and top level driver talk so knowingly and passionately about the history and cars of this sport is how it should be!

Well done Dario.

Well done Motorsport…. again.

2. James Ash, 18 March 2011 13:20

I really can’t thank you enough for these – they actually make my commute enjoyable! I just wish you had the time to make one everyday!!

Equal praise applies to the magazine, which shamefully I only discovered last year.

Put it this way: I’ve been buying car magazines for over 15 years, and yours is only the second I have deemed so unmissable that I’ve had to take out a subscription! Long may your fine form continue!

3. rob widdows, 18 March 2011 14:20

Yes! This is what we really like to see. Thank you James Ash.
    I too wish we could the podcasts more often. In some ways, they beat the written word, but only when somebody as lucid and articulate as Dario comes along!
    RW

4. rob widdows, 18 March 2011 14:22

Ooops, sorry, missed a word out above. What was I saying about the written word………..?!
    RW

5. Steve, 18 March 2011 15:50

An exceptionally enjoyable podcast.

Dario Franchitti has a new fan.

6. Jp, 18 March 2011 15:54

Dario Franchitti = The most eloquent driver in racing.
    Jp

7. Jonathan Thompson, 18 March 2011 16:30

CLASS! Love Dario

8. Iberian M.P.H., 18 March 2011 17:00

It’s a bold statement but I think it’s the best poddie I’ve ever listened to. I suspect (and very strongly) drivers who get to spend some time in the US somehow become more articulate, I’d call it the freedom of being able to produce a speech. In F1 you’d normally get something like, “Myself and the team, we’re pushing hard and I’m delighted we can please our sponsors. Thank you, Vodafone.”

Great super fantastic podcast.

9. Ray T, 18 March 2011 19:05

I’d love to see someone try out Franchitti in F1.

10. Simon Hird, 18 March 2011 20:05

What a fin chap Dario is. So normal, and no American accent!

Reminds me of Track Torque, Rob. We used to get this stuff every week on Thursdays nights on Radio Victory…. Whatever happened to those tapes?

11. Pete, 18 March 2011 22:42

Absolutely fantastic well worth the wait between shows!!! I don’t know much about dario so i was pleasantly surprised how to down earth he is. Sounds like a really nice funny guy and obviously a very knowledgeable racer. Thanks everyone at motorsportmagazine!

12. Masta Kink, 19 March 2011 13:48

Great stuff…many thanks…He talks about his accident with the E-Type Jag, 4 WPD ,at Goodwood, and not being convinced it was his fault…well, I remember being at Madgwick corner, just before the accident happened, and he had an almighty tank-slapper…I have no idea how he held it, but it certainly appeared that something wasn’t quite right with the car…..so I suspect he was probably correct in his assessment……

13. Nigel (not that one), 19 March 2011 15:45

Not really into american racing these days but that was a good podcast, darios an engaging guy to listen to and funny too.

can i also say, this months mag is a cracker guys! packed full of the good suff :)

14. Bonedwarf, 20 March 2011 18:57

He may be married to one of the most beautiful women on Earth, but Wil Wheaton got her first. (On Star Trek.)

Oh god my nerd universes just collided.

Always been amused that my racing and sci-fi fandom collides with Franchitti due to his wife.

Dario is a great bloke. Can’t remember when I first saw him. Long LONG time ago. Loved him ever since. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Laid back. A breath of fresh air.

15. Adrian Benjamin, 20 March 2011 20:50

An excellent podcast, Dario’s skill and ability have been proved many times, but the personality and enthusiasm for the sport he loves is great to hear.

His relaxed and natural style, his knowledge of the sport and the value of its history is representative of a true enthusiast.

16. john read, 21 March 2011 00:08

It’s a pity he is not in F1

17. Paul Malkoski, 21 March 2011 20:57

Dario’s interview was terrific! He’s a genuine talent and we are lucky to have him in Indy cars, but his knowledge, appreciation and enthusiasm for the sport and its history is a joy to behold. So many younger drivers (and sportsmen) have no understanding of what came before them. What a shame. Dario’s comments about the 90s turbo Indy cars was illuminating, especially his experience at Texas.

These podcasts are a gift. Where else can we hear first-rate drivers and personnel talk in depth about our sport? Nowhere here in America. Thanks, Motor Sport.

18. Steven Roy, 22 March 2011 02:24

I could listen to Dario talk all day. So rare to have a modern driver who actually knows about the sport.

Real shame someone with his personality and attitude didn’t make it into F1 because he would have done more to sell the sport to fans that all the rest put together.

Loved the stuff about Texas and great to hear a driver say that a track should not be used. Much better than the political answers we normally get.

I hope Audi or Peugeot get on the phone to him about Le Mans. Interestingly at Sebring Marino was interviewed during the race and pointed out that Lamy was not in the same class as Montagny and Sarazzin. Next time Pedro got in the car he dropped it on the first corner out of the pits. Peugeot could do worse than give Dario Lamy’s drive at Le Mans.

19. Bonedwarf, 22 March 2011 05:23

Dario at Le Mans would be great.

I’m glad he didn’t go to F1. It chews up and spits out drivers who don’t fit the shape. I mean look at McNish. He got one lousy season in F1, then went back to sportscar. Nobody can say McNish is a bad driver.

I’m glad he stayed out of F1. He’s had a much more interesting and varied career as a consequence.

As for Pedro… Pedro Lap Me as he used to be referred too… That was rather ridiculous.

20. Steven Roy, 22 March 2011 18:04

Being the biggest McNish fan in the world I agree with Bonedwarf. He is proof that for once Jackie Stewart is wrong when he says the best always make it. McNish was F1 world champion material and never got a break.

21. Ed Foster, 23 March 2011 09:19

Steven Roy – if you like McNish… you’ll like our next podcast guest…

EF

22. John Oakley, 23 March 2011 12:47

As ever a great podcast. I thought Dario was brilliant. I never want these podcasts to end.

23. Rich, 23 March 2011 13:35

Is this podcast actually available to subscribe to in the itunes store? My searches for “Motorsport” or “Motorsport magazine” have come up with nothing,

24. Ed Foster, 23 March 2011 16:09

If you type in Motor Sport Magazine it’s the first one that comes up (make sure that Motor Sport is spelt as two words).

The other way to do it is to click on the ‘podcast’ tab at the top and it is featured in ‘new and noteworthy’.

Link is: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/motor-sport-magazine-podcast/id328064082

EF

25. Rich, 23 March 2011 17:09

Cheers Ed – probably should have had the resourcefulness to try it as two words.

26. Drwe, 23 March 2011 23:52

Great ‘cast again. Look forward to the next one.

Actually, indycar should be happy – it revived my interest in the series, which was lost many years ago (I was a champ car follower – and when it died as well as not coming to Australia, I lost interest). They need to pay him more :D

27. Simon, 23 March 2011 23:58

After years of buying it off the Aussie news stand I finally bit the bullet and conned my mother into gifting me a subscription this year. April was great and the podcasts are like a visit from Santa every month. Dario was a delight, and as others have noted, its so nice to hear a modern day champion with a real sense of history. Humble too. Mag and podcast are a credit to the team. Well done.

28. Graham, 24 March 2011 07:25

Superb entertainment, what a delightful departure from the anodyne world of F1 figures too frightened to step away from the team line.

29. Paul Kelly, 24 March 2011 13:44

These podcasts continue to provide me superb entertainment and information each month — thank you! I always feel a bit giddy when I see an e-mail promoting a new Motor Sport podcast show up in my Inbox.

Dario is a perfect example of what a modern racing driver should be. Honest, funny, smart, insightful, classy — and fast. Jim Clark would be proud.

30. Steven Roy, 26 March 2011 21:10

@Ed Foster

Absolutely delighted to see you have Allan McNish next. I first saw him in what I think was his third ever car race and his first in Scotland. It was at Ingliston in 1987 in an old Mondiale FFord run by Ecurie Ecosse. In all the years I have attended motor racing it was one of only two days where I turned up at a track, saw a driver I had never heard of and left convinced I had seen someone really special. The other occasion was Wayne Boyd at Knockhill and he seems to have disappeared of the radar which is great shame as that boy is a real talent.

The big difference between the two was while Boyd lead, spun on someone else’s oil, regained the lead and won Allan’s car ended his race looking like the remains of a plane crash up through the Esses at Ingliston but by that time I was totally convinced he was something special.

The following year he was signed up by Marlboro and the year after that Marlboro gave him an F3 drive in preference to his 1988 team mate who was a Finnish kid called Mika Hakkinen. I will never understand how McNish didn’t get a crack at F1 in his very early 20s. For me he was world champion material and nothing will ever convince me ootherwise.

I can’t wait to hear the podcast.

31. Peter Nunn, 13 April 2011 10:04

Sorry, a little late, but just to add this is the best podcast ever. Dario comes over as such a great, normal guy and it’s wonderful that he has real passion and knowledge of the sport’s history. I could listen to him talk for hours!

LB1

Conway wins messy Long Beach GP

14/04/14

Gordon Kirby reports on Mike Conway’s unlikely Indycar win on the streets of Long Beach

Alex-Zanardi-2

Long Beach’s best race

07/04/14

Gordon Kirby recalls the 1998 Grand Prix of Long Beach and an emphatic comeback victory from Alex Zanardi

Will-Power

Will Power dominates IndyCar opener

31/03/14

Gordon Kirby reports on the IndyCar season opener and a strong performance from winner Will Power

Ed-Foster

Ed Foster

Read Ed's profile and more …