Indycar 9

Penske vs Andretti at Indianapolis

Based on what we saw in qualifying last weekend this year’s Indy 500 will witness a titanic battle between Roger Penske’s and Michael Andretti’s Chevrolet-powered multi-car teams.

The Penske and Andretti cars swept the front two rows for next Sunday’s 96th Indianapolis 500 with Ryan Briscoe taking pole for Penske and James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay completing the front row in two of Andretti’s five cars. Marco Andretti starts from the inside of row two with Penske men Will Power and Helio Castroneves beside him.

indycar  Penske vs Andretti at Indianapolis

This is Penske’s fifth straight pole this year and the team’s 17th at Indianapolis. Roger Penske dedicated Briscoe’s pole with the new turbo Chevrolet V6 engine to Ilmor co-founder Paul Morgan who was killed 11 years ago this month when his vintage Hawker Sea Fury flipped while landing. Morgan founded Ilmor Engineering in 1983 in partnership with Penske and Mario Illien to design and build the turbo Chevy Indy V8 that raced successfully from 1986-93.

This year’s turbo Chevy V6 Indy engine was designed and built at Ilmor with Steve Miller leading the design team. With Penske’s team the new Ilmor/Chevy has dominated this year’s opening IndyCar races and looks likely to rule the roost at Indianapolis next Sunday.

Briscoe is in his fifth year with Penske and will start the 500 from pole for the first time. The amiable Australian has been considered more a solid journeyman than a potential champion or 500 winner, but clearly he has the equipment to make a break-through this year. Team-mate Castroneves is going after his fourth win in his 12 year with Penske while championship leader Power will be trying to score his first 500 win in his fifth start at the Speedway. Based on his experience Castroneves must be the favourite but his pair of Australian team-mates are equally capable and both will be trying hard to earn their places on the Borg-Warner trophy.

Michael Andretti’s team rebounded from a miserable month of May last year when two of the team’s four drivers failed to qualify for the 500. This year each of Hinchcliffe, Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti were at, or near, the top of the speed chart through the week of practice and all five Andretti Autosports drivers (Ana Beatriz and Sebastien Saavedra drive the team’s other two cars) qualified for this year’s race.

indycar  Penske vs Andretti at Indianapolis

Honda’s best qualifier was rookie Josef Newgarden (above) who qualified one of Sarah Fisher’s two cars on the inside of the third row. Only 21, Newgarden won last year’s Indy Lights championship and raced Formula Ford in the UK in 2009 and GP3 in 2010. One of the most promising American open-wheel drivers to come along in some time Newgarden has looked good this year, running near the front in most races and qualifying on the front at Long Beach last month.

Defending IndyCar Champion Dario Franchitti and team-mate Scott Dixon struggled to match the pace of the leading Chevrolet cars, qualifying their Honda-powered Ganassi cars a disappointing 15th and 16th. Meanwhile Rubens Barrichello starts his first Indy 500 from 10th on the grid after making steady progress up the speed chart all week. Barrichello enjoys Chevrolet power and has a chance of finishing well if he can stay out of trouble. Last year’s almost-winner JR Hildebrand starts his Chevy-powered Panther Racing Dallara from 18th.

Everyone agrees the new Dallara DW12 creates a bigger draft than the old car and the expectation is that this year’s 500 will feature plenty of ‘pack racing’ with nobody able to break away on their own. “I think you can run closer with this car than with the old car,” Will Power remarked. “It punches a massive hole in the air so the tow effect is huge, but it’s hard to say if you can put a move on. It will be a very tight race because I don’t think anyone will get left behind.

“As far as driving [is concerned], it’s been a bit easier,” Power added. “It’s got more grip and less power, so it’s stuck to the road. You have less chance of making a mistake. The car is pretty forgiving, it’s stuck [to the road]. But you get a big draft and lose some grip. I think it will be a good race and once it’s said and done it will be like last year.”

Michael Andretti added his observations. “It definitely pokes a bigger hole,” Michael said. “It’s funny, you can pick up a draft from further back but the real effect comes from the last five or six car lengths. All of a sudden the car just accelerates. It’s very similar to what the Handford device did in 2000 or 2001. I think it’s going to make for some exciting racing because I don’t think anybody’s going to be able to stay out front. I think there’s going to be a lot of back and forth.

“The thing I’m worried about is when you start to get that suction you get it late at the end of the straight. All of a sudden you’ll get a huge run on somebody and the guy in the lead might not realise the other guy is there when you get to the apex of the corner because he had such a run on you. So I’m a little worried about some of that happening into turn one and turn three.”

As always we hope for a safe race and a clean, exciting finish.

9 comments on Penske vs Andretti at Indianapolis

1. dave cubbedge, 21 May 2012 16:41

Despite all the negativity surrounding the Indycar series over the past decade or more, I am still very excited and can’t wait for the weekend to come. Nice to see American drivers at the front, powered by an ‘American’ engine, which is part of what the series needs to regain a fan base here in the USA. See y’all in Grandstand ‘A’!

2. dave cubbedge, 21 May 2012 16:44

….and yes I do know that there is still a foreign majority up at the front of the grid, but I’m speaking specifically for Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco.

3. John Saviano, 21 May 2012 17:27

I’ll watch the race, as I do every year. However, it’s really boring to see the same chassis for all 33 starters. That’s why F1 has my attention. The different engines this year are a step in the right direction. I don’t like any racing with a spec chassis.

4. Rich Ambroson, 21 May 2012 18:45

I have not watched much American open wheel racing on a regular basis over the last few years, but do make a point to catch the Indy 500. It’s a shame that the series is still in spec chassis, and I’m concerned about the “Hanford-esque” situation that Andretti described. Pack racing seems to me to provide greater potential for problems.

Will we ever have cars with more power than downforce/mechanical grip again? Wouldn’t that make for better racing?

OK, all that said, I’m looking forward to the race, and fully echo Mr. Kirby’s concluding sentence.

5. Don Larsen, 22 May 2012 02:45

Let me count the ways…
    First, the bumper-car bodies. These contraptions are designed to be as close to ‘stock cars’ s possible with the, not nerf bars, but nerf body work before and behind the rear wheels. They are designed to knock each other out of the way with out the penalty that real race cars suffer when they do that, ie: all the wheels fall off.
    They are a continuation of the low power, high downforce formula that lead to the death of Dan Wheldon, and make for pack racing with dozens of meaningless passes per race, decided at the end with whoever has the best final pitstop.
    When I say “anybody can drive these things”, I don’t mean me. On my best day I couldn’t have. BUT, It is possible for some very so so drivers to get around in these cars.
    As one of the better of these drivers said, anon, “Give it 1100 hosrsepower, not much downforce, and we’ll see who can get around. 240 on the straights, brake hard for 1 and 3, and actually have to drive the car.”
    “Amen, brother”.
    As the great Robin Miller says.

6. Rich Ambroson, 22 May 2012 05:35

Don Larsen, let me give you and Robin Miller a “testify!”.

7. Ray T, 22 May 2012 15:24

I’ve always considered Indy a metaphor for the US in general: once great, once the leader in innovation, but now slipped into mediocrity coupled with a massive amount of hype and delusion, and far too much emphasis on distant history.
    My opinion stands with Indycar -there is not sufficient driving talent in the series to warrant safe pack racing.
    The race should be done on the GP course.

I doubt much of that Chevy engine is actually American, like everything else, it’s been out-sourced.

8. Rick 911, 22 May 2012 23:20

This is classic Indy. Technically, Penske vs. Andretti goes back some 40 years, but the real “battle” was joined in 1981 when Andretti accused Unser of an illegal pass, identical in form if not in result to a pass Andretti himself made! Ultimately, Penske/ Unser won that race in court.

Since then, Penske has “won” every contest between the two: 85 and 87 (Mario); 88 and 91 (Michael); and 06 (Marco). One day I’d like to see the Andretti clan get one just to even the score, but I’m not ready to see that happen yet!

9. Hamima, 13 July 2012 20:33

The trace track in Las Vegas was 60% shorter than most other trcaks, for 50% of the cars to wreck there obviously is a problem with the venue.My prayers go out to Susie Wheldon, and Dan’s father and brothers. May grace abound all around them, may they find peace in the midst of a storm. May they embrace a new beginning, with peace and joy.

LB1

Conway wins messy Long Beach GP

14/04/14

Gordon Kirby reports on Mike Conway’s unlikely Indycar win on the streets of Long Beach

Alex-Zanardi-2

Long Beach’s best race

07/04/14

Gordon Kirby recalls the 1998 Grand Prix of Long Beach and an emphatic comeback victory from Alex Zanardi

Will-Power

Will Power dominates IndyCar opener

31/03/14

Gordon Kirby reports on the IndyCar season opener and a strong performance from winner Will Power

_MG_5428

Gordon Kirby

Read Gordon's profile and more …