What 30 Yo Know About Cars ?
REPORT ON PROBLEM No. 9. THE picture which formed the subject of this competition last month gave more difficulty to competitors than we expected. Either it is that Brooklands • spectators of a decade ago no longer take an interest in motor racing, or else they have short memories, for the car in the photograph was a regular competitor at Weybridge ten years ago,
The Wolseley Viper (for such is the answer) was raced by Kaye Don and Capt. A. G. Miller, and it was shown in the Paddock at Brooklands. It was when driving this car at over 100 m.p.h. up the Finishing Straight, that Kaye Don found that his brakes had failed. He slowed up, however, by grazing the sandy cliff at the foot of the Members’ Hill. The first correct solution opened on. the morning of March 15th was that submitted by : Mr. David Rice,
41, Sherbourne Road, Blackpool, Lancs.
to whom we have sent a cheque for one guinea.
Only 18% of the entries were correct. An extraordinary range of solutions were sent in, some of the competitors failing to realise the huge size of the car in the photograph. Here are the cars that were suggested, in the order of popularity : Bentley, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (I. or II ), Miller, Peugeot, Crossley, Leyland Eight, Bianchi, Duesenberg, Opel, Mors, J o wett, A . C. , G. N. and Alvis. . ,
PROBLEM No. 10. The rules for Problem No. 10 are as follows :
1. Cut out the coupon on the inside back cover, fill in your name and address and solution in block letters, and send It to us in a sealed envelope marked “Competition.”
2. Any alterations on the coupon will automatically disqualify the entrant.
3. The Editor’s decision is final.
4. Entries must reach this office, 39, Victoria Street, London, &W.1, not later than the first post, April 15th, and a prize of one guinea will be awarded to the sender of the first correct solution opened on that day.
5. More than one coupon may be included in one envelope.
6. No letter must be sent with the coupon.
7. The results will be published in our May issue.
ARE YOU A PHOTOGRAPHER? The photograph which appears on this page was sent in by Mr. A. G. Penfold, of 47, South Road, Guildford, Surrey,
to whom we have sent a cheque for half a guinea.
Most followers of motor-racing are keen photographers, and have a collection of photographs they have taken at various events, or of sports and racing cars which are seldom seen. Look through your collection, and if you think you have any pictures that would puzzle other readers, send them along. The only condition is that the photograph must be the handwork of the sender. All those not used will be returned if a stamped addressed envelope is included.
Get that album out now, and send your photographs to The Editor, MOTOR SPORT, 39, Victoria Street, London, SAVA.