Continental Races

Maserati Success in First Post-Waw Argentine Grand Prix

Luigi Villoresi beats Varzi’s 3-litre Alfa-Romeo in 1 1/2-litre 16-valve car
Before a large crowd, which included the President of Argentina, the President of the Central Bank, and their ladies, Buenos Aires’ first post-war International race was run off on February 9th, over a course of about 1 1/2 miles to a lap, which had to be covered 50 times. The field comprised the 1 1/2-litre, 16-valve Maseratis of the Scuderia Milan, to be handled by Villoresi, Pintacuda, Platé and Palmieri, Raph’s 6-cylinder, 1 1/2-litre Maserati, Varzi’s “308” 3-litre Alfa-Romeo, Landi’s sister car, Bizio’s 3.1-litre, bored-out, 1,000-Mile Race Alfa-Romeo, Pessatti’s old 3.8-litre Alfa-Romeo, Puopolo’s 3-litre Indianapolis Maserati, Bignani’s and Cullingan’s 1 1/2-litre, 6-cylinder Maseratis, Juan Galvez’s 3.2-litre G.P. Alfa-Romeo, now sans i.r.s., Oscar Galvez’s 3.8-litre “308” Alfa-Romeo, and a V16 twin o.h.c. Cadillac, Chevrolet and Plymouth “Specials.”

Platé non-started, but what a field, nevertheless! Villoresi got clean away as they moved off, and had a 5 sec. lead from Juan Galvez after five laps, with Oscar Galvez, Varzi, Landi and Bizio behind. Then Juan’s Alfa lost oil and by 10 laps the Maserati led by 20 sec., shortly after which brother Galvez’s Alfa “blew-up.” This put Varzi second, with Pessatti’s Alfa-Romeo pressing him hard. However, Varzi merely played with his rival, who finally hit a kerb and burst a tyre! Villoresi was nicely out in front all the while, until, at 40 laps, Varzi speeded up very noticeably. His big car didn’t like the course, but seemed happy on the slower corners and, with only another three miles or so to go, it seemed all set to pass the Maserati. Alas, the Chevrolet got into Varzi’s path, he braked hard, swerved round it and accelerated to the finish-one second behind his rival! Hard lines, but he did win the Rosario G.P.

1. Luigi Villoresi (1 1/2-litre, 16-valve Maserati), 1 hr. 4 min. 11 sec. 69.92 m.p.h.
2. Achille Varzi (Type 308 3-litre Alfa-Romeo), 1 hr. 4 min. 12 sec.
3. Francisco Landi (Type 308 3-litre Alfa-Romeo), 1 hr. 4 min. 38 sec. One lap behind.
4. Giacomo Palmieri (1 1/2-litre, 6-cylinder Maserati).
5. Pablo Pessatti (ex-G.P. 3.8-litre Alla-Romeo).
6. Italo Bizio (3.1-litre ex-Mille Miglia Alfa-Romeo).
Fastest Lap: Villoresi’s 12th in 1 min. sec. (81.65 m.p.h.).

Villoresi Does it Again in Buenos Aires G.P.
As a replacement for the scratched Mar del Plata G.P., the Buenos Aires race was virtually repeated on February 15th, again over 50 laps. But first two 10-lap events for local talent were won by Hortal’s Plymouth, at 62.19 m.p.h., and Bucci’s V16 Cadillac, at 65.2 m.p.h., respectively, Bucci winning the final at 64.41 m.p.h. Villoresi won the big race easily, after letting Oscar Galvez lead for a time. Galvez finally retired with back axle trouble, and Varzi, pressed by Pessatti, broke a valve.

1. Villoresi (Maserati), 1 hr. 5 min. 9.5 sec.
2. Pessatti (3.8-litre Alfa-Romeo), 1 hr. 5 min. 27.5 sec.
3. Palmieri (6-cylinder Maserati), 1 hr. 6 min. 11.5 sec.
4. Bizio (3-litre Alfa-Romeo), 2 laps behind.
5. Landi (3-litre Alfa-Romeo).
6. Raph (Maserati).
7. Juan Galvez (3.2-litre Alfa-Romeo).

E.R.A.s Dominate Second Swedish Grand Prix
Parnell wins from Abecassis at 67.72 m.p.h. French Aces, including Sommer and Chiron, beaten.

Because the French and Swiss entries did not compete in the race which Parnell’s E.R.A. won on February 9th, another race was held on February 23rd, on the frozen lake at Vallentuna, covered with gravel frozen in. The lap measured 5 kilometres and had to be covered 25 times. Thirty thousand spectated and saw British cars defeat the pick of the Continental drivers. Eleven starters lined up, consisting of three Maseratis, three E.R.A.s, four Delahayes and a Darracq. Brooke drove his Jamieson-blown E.R.A., Abecassis the ex-Pollock E.R.A., with Tecnauto i.f.s. and a new radiator cowl, and Parnell his Jamieson. E.R.A. Sommer and Louveau had 16-valve Maseratis, Chiron a single-seater unblown Darracq, and Chaboud his 3 1/2-litre faired Delahaye, with heated windscreen. Louveau got stones in his blower during practice, as the gravel hadn’t frozen in properly, which cracked the blower casing, and Cornet didn’t know the course.

As the flag fell, Chiron leapt away, but quite soon Sommer had passed him, the E.R.A.s behind, Abecassis and Brooke having “lost” some cylinders due to a delay on the line all but freezing up their engines. Abecassis recovered from this handicap when the wick was well up, but didn’t seem to be able to accelerate properly. However, muffled to the ears in his fur collar and wearing a peaked crash-hat, Parnell really got along, and when Sommer spun at a corner and Chiron punctured, he looked to have things nicely in hand. In spite of having only top gear left, he built up a fine lead and won at 67.72 m.p.h. Abecassis came in 2nd about a minute behind. Brooke had driven a most spirited race until engine trouble eliminated him. Sommer finally retired when, after a second spin, he failed to restart his engine. Who said British cars and drivers just hadn’t got it in them?

1st: R. Parnell (E.R.A.), 67.72 m.p.h.
2nd: G. Abecassis (E.R.A.).
3rd: Chaboud (Delahaye).
4th: Cabamtous (Delahaye).