A new sprint event will mark the 55th anniversary of the 1955 British Grand Prix at Aintree. For the first time since the full Grand Prix circuit closed for racing in 1964, the section of track in front of the main grandstands will be used as a 600-metre sprint course on May 16.
In July 1955, Stirling Moss led Juan Manuel Fangio in a Mercedes 1-2 in the first British GP at the Liverpool track. Although other parts of the venue have been used, this will be the first competitive event on the former start-finish straight. The course will start at Tatt’s corner and cover a flying quarter-mile competition as well as a 600m sprint, with a chicane before the finish.
The event is being organised by the Aintree Circuit Club and will include classes for classic cars, including racing cars and pre-war machinery.