Browse pages
Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page


Current page



AMAZING sun beat down on the scene, and the heat shimmered from the concrete as the cars lined up, on July 21st, for the Junior Car Club’s star event, the 200 Miles Race. The race may be said to have been a foregone conclusion, for, barring accidents, Capt. Malcolm Campbell had easily the fastest car in the il-litre Delage.

He took the lead after the first lap—during which he was lead by B. E. Lewis, driving instead of ” Archy ” Nash–rand thereafter was never challenged. Incident occurred early when, on his first lap, Purdy had the tail of his l Special” pushed round by B. Eyston (Bugatti), resulting in Purdy’s hitting the fence backwards and his retirement, unhurt.

While Campbell calmly went on lapping round about 78 m.p.h., trouble began among the rest.

Oats (0.M.) retired, while Eyston took Lewis’ second place, with Ben afield (Bugatti) lying fourth. At about 50 miles, Vernon Balls took the lead in the 1,100 c.c. class, lying fifth in actual order, despite turning round after hitting his usual sandbank.

” Taylor ” (Lea-Francis) retired with no oil pressure, Forrest (Marendaz) with carburation trouble, Walker (Austin) with engine trouble, and R. R. Jackson (FrazerIvash) had, two pit stops. Casse’s Salmson was not delivering the goods, the old Talbot stripped its driving bevel, and “Bug.” Lewis fell out with a burst oil pipe.

W. B. Scott was being delayed with oil—Casse’s t rouble, too—and Wood’s Amikar was very hot and bothered.

Spero (Austin) was now heading the 850 c.c. class, and leading not a few 1,500 c.c. cars.

After about roo miles, Campbell called at his pit and was away in a flash, stopping only to verify his speed and laps. He was eight miles ahead of Eyston.

When his clutch gave up, Casse followed its example, and withdrew his Salrnson, and his team mate, Clarke, followed suit with a broken supercharger coupling. Den ham’s retirement on the Marendaz left sixteen cars in the field.

At 150 miles, Campbell was fourteen miles ahead of Eyston, running easily with throttle in hand, Eyston and Benjafield battling for second place.

When the latter stopped for water, Balls snatched his place. At this point Kaye Don (Lea-Francis) came into the picture and gained ground, lap by lap.

Plunket-Greene stopped with his Frazer-Nash engine in a horrid mess. Vernon Balls was leading the Lioo c.c. class by 56 miles from Scott, who was being boiled in oil ; next came Spero. Dingle’s Austin was coming to bits, a great patch of undershield waving in the air.

Balls had a qualm just before the end, for he had just caught Benjafield after a pit stop, when he had to. pull in again to cure misfiring. This done, he got away again, going faster than ever.

Just about this time, Campbell finished, seventeen miles ahead, and seemed highly pleased with a delightful afternoon’s motoring. His car looked as if it had done one or two laps, was as clean and polished as ever, and whereas nearly every other car looked very battered, his Delage was perfect. His average was 78.34 m.p.h.

Eyston took second place in due course, averaging 72.61 m.p.h., and Kaye Don ran in third (68..9 m.p.h.).

Vernon Balls also won his class easily at 66.78 m.p.h. and T. E. Rose Richards (Bugatti) took fifth position.

Dr. Benjafield pulled “n with another lap to go, had his error pointed out, and proceeded to do another three, in his enthusiasm.

Scott arrived second in the r,roo c.c. class, smothered in oil, and Spero took first place in the 850 c.c. class.


The Hutchinson Hundred.

A fine afternoon of sport was provided at Brooklands on August nth, when the members of the B.M.C.R.C. competed for the k200 Hutchinson Challenge Cup. The afternoon was rendered the more pleasant by perfect weather, and some high speeds and close finishes were to be seen.

As a kind of overture to the Ioo Miles Race, four handicap events were run off, and it was during the first of these that F. G. Hicks (Velocette) proceeded to take his 350 c.c. machine round the track at a lap speed of 101.3 m.p.h.! A magnificent performance.

It was also in this first event that C. S. Staniland put in laps close on the 8o m.p.h. mark on a 175 c.c. Excelsior! He was passed by a wheel on the line, Hicks winning at 96.15 m.p.h. for the three laps.

Five men started in the next event-a three-lap handicap between 350 c.c. and 1,000 c.c.-all on 500’s, which was won in easy fashion by R. E. Dicker (499 Rudge) at 91.89 m.p.h.

Hicks was re-handicapped in Event 3 (five laps, 90 m.p.h.), but this made no difference, for he shot off after the other three starters, overhauled them in the third lap, lead on the fourth, and came in a quarter of a mile ahead, at an average of 97.65 m.p.h.

A 5-lap All-comers Sidecar event followed, and Hicks nearly won this also, but unfortunately he thought the course was but three laps, and stopped two laps before the end. E. C. E. Baragwandth (Brough-SuperiorJ.A.P.) lead in Tucker (588 Norton) and Horsman (599 Triumph), and won at 84.84 m.p.h.

The curtain now went up on the piece de resistance of the day, when thirty-six machines lined up for the “Hundred.” The only sensation was the discovery of two spots of oil on Lacey’s Grindley-Peerless crankcase. Brewster started with a damaged finger, and Cobbold also had a broken digit, just out of splints.

An early incident was provided by R. R. Barber (495 Matchless) being called off, as his machine seemed unmanageable.

At half-distance, Hall (246 New Imperial), the limit man, was still in the lead, but Fernihough (Excelsior) was rapidly closing on him. Hicks, Willis and Brewster were also moving up rapidly, Hicks lying fourteenth, Willis eleventh, and Brewster twelfth. Fernihough took the lead after 23 laps. Lacey had not been travelling too well, and retired with a defective oil pump. Next, Willis was eliminated, and two laps before the end Brewster passed Fernihough, with Hicks just behind, and then Brewster flashed over the line, having averaged 93.52 m.p.h. The win was deservedly popular, for the veteran rider had put up a splendid show, despite his damaged finger, which it seems he had caught in the

R.A.C. Guides in the Isle of Man. The R.A.C. has received a letter of thanks

The a from the Manx authorities for the services rendered by the eleven R.A.C. Guides who were stationed in the Isle of Man to control and direct motor traffic during the summer months. The letter states that the men carried out their duties with the utmost efficiency and conducted themselves in a most exemplary manner whilst in the Island.

RACING NEWS-continued.


The Fourth International Schauinsland Hill Climb was run off near Freiburg on August 5th, and some very excellent speeds were put up. The chief interest centred in the Bugatti-Mercedes due’, following the German car’s victory at the Ntirburg Ring.

Owing to the appalling state of the road, the “flat ” events had to be abandoned, but the hill climb attracted a good entry, in which the names of Chiron, Heusser and Carraciola are well known.

The hill is over a length of 12 kilometres, and, varying in gradient, it provides a very sporting course with many fast bends. The event is rapidly becoming a classic, ranking with the Niirburg Ring as one of the most important motoring events in Germany.

A car made the fastest time of the day, Heusser’s Bugatti putting up 74.009 k.p.h., the fastest motor cycle being Stegmann’s D.K.W., at 69.6 k.p.h.

Carraciola., the Mercedes crack, made a sensational climb in the over 2-litres Racing Class, in which he had a walk-over by clocking 73.2 k.p.h.-an awe-inspiring sight with the huge car. British motor-cycles made an excellent impression, although not winning in the solo classes. A Scott and a Sunbeam, however, were first and second in the 600 c.c. sidecars, although fastest sidecar time was put up by Thumshirn on an Ardie. Below are the full results :


1. Gerlach (Standard), 64.8 k.p.h.

2. Brand (Hecker-J.A.P.).

3. Geiss (D.K.W.).

MoToR-CYCI,E,’S UP To 350 c.c.

1. Frentzen (U.T.), 64.9 k.p.h.

2. Blind (U.T.).

3. Bussinger (A.J.S.).

MOTOR-CYCLES UP TO 500 C.C. 1. Stegmann (D.K.W.), 69.6 k.p.h. (fastest time of the day),

2. Bussinger (A.J.S.).

3. Scherrer (N.S.V,).


1. rranconi (Standard), 67.7 k.p.h.

2. Ley (Harley-Davidson).

3. Baumann (Harley-Davidson).


1. Starkle (Scott), 60.7 k.p.h.

2. Heck (Sunbeam).

3. Zimmermann (Victoria).

OVER 600 c.c.

1. Thumshini (Ardie), 63.3 k.p.h.

2. Dobler (Ardie). 3. Frey

SPoRTs CAR CLASSES. 111.:TwEEN 750 C.C. AND 1,100 C.C.

1. Van Morgen (Amilcar), 66.8 k.p.h.

2. Meyer (Opel).

3. Hercher (Opel).

UNDER 750 c.c.

1. Macher (Dixi), 55.5 k.p.h.

2. Buchel (Dixi). 3. Wagener (,Dix*

BETWEEN 1,100 C.C. AND 1,500 c.c.

1. Stumpf (Hag-Gastell), 63.0 k.p.h.

2. Schmidt (Bugatti).

3. Andreae (Bugatti).


1. Heusser (Bugatti), 74.009 k.p.h. (fastest time).

2. Goaf van Kalnein-Domnau (Bugatti).


1. Kinigel (Mercedes), 68.0 k.p.h.

2. Rosenstein (Mercedes).


1. Prince van Leiningen-Amorbach (Bugatti), 67.29 k.p.h.

2. Scholl (Amilear).

3. Jenter (Chiribiri).

1,500 c.c.-2,000 c.c.

1. Chiron (Bugatti), 73.06 k.p.h.

2. Kappler (Bugatti). 3. Protst (Bugatti),


Walk-over : Carraciola (Mercedes), 73.26 k.p.h.

RACING NEWS—concluded.

Two-Cylinder Small Car Breaks Twelve-Hour Record.

Driven by J. J. Hall and A. H. Grimly, a standard sports model Jowett car, on August 8th, put up new figures for the International Class G Record, previously held by Marendaz and Don.

The Jowett covered 658 miles 1,191 yards in the twelve hours at an average speed of 54.89 m.p.h. The fastest lap was 66.56 m.p.h., and for the last four hours the car lapped at 65, having lost one hour 28 minutes, during which a cylinder gasket was changed, which renders the record all the more creditable.

more Arpajon Speed Trials—Capt. 0. M. Baldwin’s 124.62

That well-known Brooklands rider, Capt. O. M. Baldwin, is heartily to be congratulated on his remarkable performance on the big L000 c.c. Zenith-J .A.P. at the M.C.F. speed trials this year. His speed for the Flying Mile was 200.67 k.p.h.-124.62 m.p.h. This is the highest speed ever attained by a motor-cycle.

The record speeds have been confirmed by the P.I.C.M.

In the 350 c.c. class, C. W. G. Lacey, on a GrindlayPeerless-J.A.P., also put up world’s record figures in the Flying Mile and Kilo at 104.03 and 104.12 m.p.h., respectively.

In the 500 c.c. class, also, Lacey put up new figures at 112.16 m.p.h. for the Flying Mile. Denly (Norton) broke the 500 c.c. solo and 600 c.c. sidecar world’s records.

The Surbiton Club’s

Saturday, September 1st, saw the Surbiton Motor Club hold its Summer Open Meeting in glorious weather, with a fairly good crowd of spectators. The meeting was characterised by that enthusiasm which surrounds all such Club gatherings, and the racing was of a high order with some excellent finishes.

The first race was won by T. R. Jeffreys (Bugatti), at 85.57 for the two laps, with Ashby (Riley) and Gillow (Riley) second and third, respectively.

The next race was also over two laps, in which Kaye Don (Bugatti) cleverly passed Warde’s big Fiat to win at 111.67 m.p.h.

The Junior Long Handicap was a three lap event, and proved a win for Bout’s Sunbeam at 102.27 m.p.h., Hazelhurst (Salmson) and W. B. Scott (Amikar)— the only other starters—finishing in that order.

Then followed a Senior Long and a One Lap Handicap, the former going to A. G. Miller (Delage) at 113.45 m.p.h. and the latter, after a close race, to Miller, Kaye Don and W. B. Scott, Miller having averaged 103.97 m.p.h. for the lap from a standing start.

The Fifty Miles Handicap ended the programme, and five starters came to the line, but the race obviously lay between ” J. Taylor” on the Delage and Dudley Froy on Barnato’s Bentley. The issue was in doubt until the nineteenth (and last) lap, when Froy shot home a few hundred yards ahead of “Taylor,” with F. T. Bersey’s Laystall-Special in third place.

Thus ended a fine afternoon of high speed motoring, the speeds being remarkably high for the short races from standing starts. The Club is to be congratulated on a splendid effort.