COPPA CIANO WON BY VARSI (ALFA ROMEO).
The circuit of Montenero, near Livorno, was the scene on July 22nd of the Coppa Ciano race. Particular interest was aroused by the promise of an entry from Fagioli on one of the new Mercedes racing cars, but he did not start after all. However stiff opposition was likely to be given to the Ferrari Alfa-Romeo by Nuvolari’s Maserati, and this proved to be the case. The” high spot ” of the race proved to be a terrific duel between Varzi and Moll, the former gaining the issue by 9 seconds after 12 laps of the 20 kilometre circuit. Here is the full list of finishes :—
1. Varsi (Alfa Romeo), 2b. 49m. 52.2s. 84.770 k.p.h.
2. Moll (Alfa Romeo), 2h. 50m. 1.2s.
3. Nuvolari (Maserati), 2b. 53m. 35.4s.
4. Trossi (Alfa Romeo), 2b. 58m. 48s. S. Barbieri (Alfa Romeo), 2b. 59m. 7.8s.
6. Parole (Alfa Romeo), 3h. 0111. 54.4s.
7. Magistri (Alfa Romeo), 3h. 13m. 43s. S. Comaggia-Medici (Alfa Romeo). 9. Pages (Alfa Romeo).
Letters, October 1993
Vital statistics Sir, While I know comparisons are difficult, and often said to be odious, I wondered about a recent statement in The Daily Telegraph that Alain Prost was "the…
Taking the time to make time
capturing hearts around the world, the geneva watchmaker chats to Richard Holt about his philosophy Laurent Ferrier is not a man to shout about his achievements. Only when the subject…
Goodwood's greatest days
Sir, Your editorial in the November issue rightly gives credit to the Goodwood Revival meeting. However, your comment that you felt robbed by fate and time is very succinct. Good…