SHE HAS LEARNT
ALL THE LESSONS
You can have a demonstration run yourself — apply to Shaw & Kilburn Limited
HUDSON CENTURY gam 4-LITRE FAST TOURING CAR
Do you want speed ? A Hudson Century repeatedly clocked 102 m.p.h. over the half-mile when tested by Motor Sport. Do you want acceleration ? A Hudson Century went from 10 to 20 m.p.h. in l seconds, from 10 to 30 m.p.h. in 2(1seconds, from 10 to 90 m.p.h. in 40 seconds. Do you want hill-climbing ? A Hudson Century broke the unofficial Brooklands Test Hill record for unsupercharged cars with a climb in 8 seconds. Yet this Hudson Century is a touring car, with a roomy fourseater body. It will pull smoothly away from 4 m.p.h. in top gear. It is completely docile In traffic. It has Telecontrol shock absorbers to suit the springing exactly to the road and to the speed.
Amazing—that so much power and speed can be combined with so much comfort at a price of only f52.5!
Sole distributors : SHAW & KILBURN LIMITE1) 117-123 GREAT PORTLAND ST., LONDON, W. I
THE L.C.C. RELAY RACE-continued
settled, so we then took stock of the runners further back. Miss Evans had been making great efforts on the third of the scratch team cars, an N-type Magnette, to keep the flag flying, but she had to call at the pit frequently to replenish the oil, and eventually retired. The official Austins suffered from the loss of Driscoll’s very fast little car and never came into the picture, actually finishing twelfth, while the Morgans were fast while they were going, but the last of them went out with slipped timing just after 4.30.
Mitchell-Thompson was at the wheel of ‘his second Frazer-Nash following the retirement of Hackett on the blown M.G., Hartwell after 30 very rapid laps on his white Magnette had also lost his second man, Huxham on a blown Morgan. Avery on the last of his team disappeared around 4.30 after running a big-end, and Penn on a Riley suffered in the same way, and put paid to Cheshire’s team. Heavy clouds had overshadowed Brooklands most of the afternoon, and at 4.30 a heavy shower swept the track. This year, however, the overcast sky gave the drivers ample warning, and there were none of the exciting incidents which marked last
year’s event. Bicknell continued steadily, maintain
ing his set average of just over 85 m.p.h., and just after 5 p.m. finished the ninety laps, a comfortable 6 minutes in front of Powell, whose team had made such good use of their position as the limit cars. Thirteen out of the nineteen teams finished within 30 minutes of the winner’s time, and thus qualified for rewards, and the result speaks much for the care with which the various cars had been prepared. Altogether a good day’s sport, and an organisation which left nothing to chance.
1. F S Barnes’s team (J D Barnes, A B. Langley and R A Bicknell, 972 c.o. Singers). Tee. 40m., 3h. 6m. 318., 85.13 m.p.h.
2. 1) Powell’s team (N G Watson, 1,496 .c.c. Frazer-Nash, C Barker, 1,104 c.c. gouda and and D Powell. 847 c.c. M.G.). rec. 61m., 3h. 12m. 20s., 77.69 m.p.h.
3. G H R Chaplin’s team (J R Hodge. 1,087 c.c. M.G., W A V Davis, 1,493 0.0. Singer and G H R Chaplin, 747 c.c. Austin S.). rec. 39m. 30s., 3h. 14m. 1Cs., 81.04 m.p.h.
4. C M Anthony’s team (C H Wood, M H Morris-Goodall and C M Anthony, 1,494 c.c. Aston-Martins), rec. 28m. 30s., 311. 17m. 40s., 85.30 m.p.h.
5, V H Tuson’s team (M P Tenbogch, J E Mellor and V 11 Tuson, 996 c.c. Fiats), rec. 43m., 3h. 17m. 54s., 78.67 m.p.h. 6. N E Bracey’s team al B Shaw, 1,321
c.o. M.G., Lord Avebury and N F Bracey, 847 c.c. M.G. S.), rec. 33m. 305., 3h. 19ra. 578., 81.88 m.p.h.
7. Sq.-Ldr. W A Bowen-Buscarlet’s team (Flt.-Lt. J D Greaves, 1,494 0.0. Aston-Martin S., Sq.-Ldr. W A Bowen-Buscarlet, 1,089 0.0. Riley and Flying-Offr. P L Donkin, 1,494 c.c. Aston-Martin), roe. 16m. 308., 311. 20m. 448., 89.88 m.p.h.
8. F R Spiking’ team (F R G Spikins. F Carr, and D E Harris. 972 0.0. Singers). rec. 43m. 308., 3h. 21m. 3s., 77.21 m.p.h. 9. 3 C Ridley’s team (Miss Joan Rich
mond_, J C Ridley, and C A Broomhall, 1,232 c.c. Triumphs), rec. 44m. Ns., 3h. 21m, 42s., 76.56 m.p.h.
10. Hon. P Mitchell-Thompson’s team (Hon. F Mitchell-Thompson, 1,496 c.c. Frazer-Nash. T B Hackett, 747 c.c. M.G. S., and Hon. P Mitchell-Thonvon, 1,496 c.c. Fraser-Nash), roe. 28m. 308., ah. ’22m. 49s., 85.20 m.p.h.
11. H G Conway’s team (It Cr Percival, E G Hughes, and T F B Law, 1,496 c.c. Fraser-Nash), rec. 80m., 3h. 25m. 358., 80.98 m.p.h.
12. Sir Herbert Austin’s team (L P Driscoll, C D Parish, and C L Goodacre, 747 c.c. Austins S.). rec. 9m. 30s., 3b. 34m. 578., 86.15 zn.p.h.
13. G H Hartwell’s team (G R Hartwell, 1,087 0.0. M.G. Ei„ E P Huxham, 990 c.o. Morgan S., and G Hendy, 972 0.0. Singer), rec. 28m. 308., 3h. 36m. 12s., 77.17 m.p.h. STILL RUNNING AT FINISH,
H Conway’s team (H M Williams, c.o. Austin S., 1 F Connell, 972 c.c. Singer. and H G Campbell, 1,074 c.o. Amilcar), rec. 44m., 86 laps.
In association with Coys
Motor Sport is pleased to offer its readers half-price entry to Coys' auction of sports racing and grand prix cars at the Masters Racing Series Festival at Brands Hatch on…
FRAZER-NASH-B.M.W. OWNER'S GERMAN TOUR
FRAZER-NASH-B.M.W. OWNER'S GERMAN TOUR W. H. (" Bill ") Aldington is already planning another Continental holiday for twenty-five car loads of B.M.W. owners, to take place from September 14th-27th. We…
The month in Motor Sport
March 15: Mark Blundell signs a surprise F1 test deal with McLaren. 15: Carlos Menem Junior, the rally-driving son of Argentina's President, is tragically killed when the helicopter he is…