I am amazed that such an obviously perspicacious budding Sherlock Holmes as Mr. E. R. Rix should have been beaten.
The reasons why “Moron,” in the Lucas advertisement, on the back cover of your May issue, is at a standstill, as anyone can see are:
1. His engine has overheated.
2. His engine has seized due to no oil pressure.
3. He has run out of petrol.
Why he is in a better situation in the second photograph is:
1. Someone, possibly the Rover owner, has slipped him a couple of gallons of fuel,
2. In the interim period his engine has been allowed to cool down.
His oil pressure – well, perhaps the gauge is unserviceable, like his nearside windscreen washer jet.