Vintage miscellany, December 1963

Browse pages
Current page

1

Current page

2

Current page

3

Current page

4

Current page

5

Current page

6

Current page

7

Current page

8

Current page

9

Current page

10

Current page

11

Current page

12

Current page

13

Current page

14

Current page

15

Current page

16

Current page

17

Current page

18

Current page

19

Current page

20

Current page

21

Current page

22

Current page

23

Current page

24

Current page

25

Current page

26

Current page

27

Current page

28

Current page

29

Current page

30

Current page

31

Current page

32

Current page

33

Current page

34

Current page

35

Current page

36

Current page

37

Current page

38

Current page

39

Current page

40

Current page

41

Current page

42

Current page

43

Current page

44

Current page

45

Current page

46

Current page

47

Current page

48

Current page

49

Current page

50

Current page

51

Current page

52

Current page

53

Current page

54

Current page

55

Current page

56

Current page

57

Current page

58

Current page

59

Current page

60

Current page

61

Current page

62

Current page

63

Current page

64

Current page

65

Current page

66

Current page

67

Current page

68

Current page

69

Current page

70

Current page

71

Current page

72

Current page

73

Current page

74

Current page

75

Current page

76

Current page

77

Current page

78

Current page

79

Current page

80

Current page

81

Current page

82

Current page

83

Current page

84

Current page

85

Current page

86

Current page

87

Current page

88

Current page

89

Current page

90

Current page

91

A reader is in desperate need of a 4.08-to-1 crown wheel or a complete axle for a 14/40 Delage. F. J. Gornall of Pilling, near Fleetwood, who died recently, was a pioneer carburetter designer who claimed to have built a car in 1890 and was the inventor of the vulcaniser. The Austin Twelve ice-cream van illustrated recently is a 1930 model and still in use. More hand-operated petrol pumps are reported between St. Columb Major and Newquay. A reader who has a Morgan-Blackburn asks the owner of a similar Morgan he encountered recently in a traffic jam near Victoria Station to ring him again at HAM 0380 and leave an address. Michael Sedgwick, Curator of the Montagu Motor Museum, has been commissioned by Cassell to write a book on the history of the Fiat Company and requests the loan of any information, old photographs or cuttings, etc. Eleven cars of the Amilcar and Salmson Registers took part in the Joint Rally on the Sussex coast last September. Batno’s Amilcar-Riley from Shropshire won the arrival award, Mrs. Rippon, on b.e. tyres from Solihull, being the runner-up. The tests were won by D. Peacock’s Amilcar.

An Australian reader has an 8 h.p. two-cylinder G.W.K. and seeks photos and data, and someone else wants details of the Ensign car. A 1923 Fordson tractor with vintage Junior mid-mounted mower, converted to magneto ignition, is still in use at Melton Mowbray. Another early B.M.W. sports 2-seater, similar to an Austin 7, was seen recently at Cambrils. J. N. D. Scarf is not only running a 3-litre Bentley and the ex-Hawthorn Mille Miglia Frazer Nash, but has saved a 6 1/2-litre Bentley from a henhouse in Wales, where it had lain since 1951 and has the Attenborough Special. The last-named, when found, had a 3.4 Jaguar engine but the original Aston Martin “Atom” engine has been rescued and will be re-installed.

***
Recent discoveries.—Readers report as follows: A 1933 model-B Ford 4-door saloon is in danger of being scrapped, and a 1934 Armstrong Siddeley Long 15 saloon is seeking a home, both cars in London. An Edwardian Adler chassis lies rotting in a field in Bedfordshire. A 1937 A.C. Six, a Rolls-Royce-Bentley, an S.S. II and a Marmon, together with several other vintage and p.v.t. saloons, including Rolls-Royce and Talbot, are said to be derelict in Surrey and possibly for sale.

***

A Fiat Tipo 52 is reported lying in a rubble dump in Kent.

***

The Beaulieu car airfield having been broken up and the Motor Museum has laid down 3,500 sq. yds. of hard standing for club driving tests; this will be available at a moderate charge. Applications should be made to the Museum.

***
A new exhibit at the Montagu Motor Museum is Count Lucio’s 1903 24-h.p. de Dietrich one of two he has restored.

***

Betty Haig has acquired a p.v.t. in the form of a 328 B.M.W., and Barbara Marshall is working on the first Anzani that she owned some years ago.