• Chevrolet Europe has become the ﬁrst manufacturer to test a Global Race Engine on the track. Its new 1.6-litre turbo unit, built by factory Chevy squad RML, completed more than 600 miles at Jerez in early October.
• Opel has revealed that it is considering a return to the DTM, ﬁve years on from its withdrawal from the German-based touring car series in 2005. It is evaluating its future motorsport plans and has conﬁrmed that a DTM entry when new rules come into force in 2012 is among its options.
• Volvo will join the World Touring Car Championship full-time for next season. The Swedish Polestar squad, which has masterminded its Scandinavian campaigns and sporadic WTCC appearances, will ﬁeld a solo C30 for team regular Robert Dahlgren.
• The British round of the WTCC will move from Brands Hatch to Donington Park next year. Brands has hosted the UK WTCC event since 2006.
• The new AMG-developed Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 contender made its race debut in a VLN long-distance race on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife in September. Bernd Schneider and Thomas Jager drove the ﬁrst race car, but a collision meant a low ﬁnish. Customer cars will be available for next season.
• The Bucharest street race will return to the international calendar after an absence of two years. The 1.9-mile circuit around the parliament building in the Romanian capital, which hosted FIA GTs and British Formula 3 in 2007-08, will hold a round of the one-make Auto GP single-seater series next July.
• Jochen Rindt and the Type 72 will be celebrated at the Racing Lotus Film Festival taking place at Eynsham Hall, near Witney, on November 13/14. GP driver John Miles, ex-racing manager Dick Scammell and mechanic Bob Dance will be special guests. For tickets, go to www.legendsﬁlmfestivals.com
Sir, I feel that the following may possibly be of interest to you. On October 18th I was "caught" by a police radar speed trap in Wadhurst, East Sussex. As…
Fuel Economy With "X" Tyres
Sir, Your report on the recent fuel consumption tests of vehicles using Michelin "X" tyres was very interesting. Many of us consider these tyres to be excellent value for money,…
World Sportscar Championship: Nürburgring 1000kms
First win for Kouros Sauber-Mercedes The turbocharged, Mercedes V8-powered Kouros Sauber earned its first success in the World Sportscar Championship at the Nürburgring on August 24, Mike Thackwell having dominated…