James Barclay banks a podium as Jaguar Formula E boss takes the wheel of E-type

Jaguar Challenge race was on the card at the final Motor Racing Legends’ meet of the season at Silverstone

Jaguar Challenge field at Silverstone

Alex Brundle (No1) leads the Jaguar Challenge field away at Silverstone in a continuation E-type

Jaguar’s modern era blended with its past at Motor Racing Legends’ Silverstone season finale when the Big Cat’s Formula E team chief, James Barclay, starred in the ‘chassis zero’ lightweight continuation E-type in the Jaguar Challenge race.

It was Barclay’s second drive in the car following his historic racing debut at the Silverstone Festival. Alex Brundle, son of 1990 Jaguar Le Mans winner Martin, built a lead, but that advantage was lost in the pitstops when he handed over to Barclay to finish the hour-long race. The Formula E team boss finished third behind James Dodd and Jonathan Mitchell, before his day job called him to Valencia for a pre-season test.

Cooper at Stirling Moss Trophy

Cooper Monacos set the pace in the Stirling Moss Trophy

The highlight of the MRL finale was the three-hour Royal Automobile Club Pall Mall Cup, run in dry but tricky conditions into sunset. Youth beat experience in the race for 1960s GTs as 21-year-old Harry Barton, sharing a TVR Griffith with Ollie Reuben, held off Olympian shooter John Davison in the Griffith he co-drove with Ollie’s father, Nigel. Davison passed Rob Huff’s Jaguar E-type for second on the penultimate lap but ran out of time to catch Barton.

M3 touring car lock-out

M3 touring car lock-out

Davison, who shot for Great Britain at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, made up for falling short the next day. He won both the HRDC Dunlop Allstars race in the Griffith and the Jack Sears Trophy in a Ford Mustang. ‘Pony Car’ power also told in the Gerry Marshall Trophy as Fred Shepherd dominated in his Boss Mustang.

BMW E30 M3s finished 1-2-3 in the Historic Touring Car Challenge. BTCC hero Colin Turkington led the first two-thirds, but car owner Mark Smith was passed by Darren Fielding in the final five minutes.