Mr. J. P. Hillhouse died last year, aged 86. In 1909 he designed the 15/30 BSA car engine and later became Chief Engineer to the Calthorpe Motor Co. Ltd., where he designed the touring models and was responsible for the racing cars, including the slim single-seater which he drove at Brooklands and which was afterwards re-engined and raced there by A. Whale. Mr. Hillhouse then went to Herbert Froude S: Co. Ltd.
During 1968, in a leading article about the fate of the pre-1915 GP Peugeots, we referred to the 1912 7.6-litre car raced at Itrooldand by Mrs. Stuart Menzies, and queried whether it was die ex-Malcolm Campbell car. We have since been able to lunch with Mrs. Menzies. who lives in the remote Oxfordshire countryside and she confirms that her car was indeed the Campbell Peugeot, which he had fitted with a streamlined tail over the holster tank. Mrs. Menzies worked for Malcolm Campbell and was able to acquire the old car from hint. As it lost nine if driven on the road, it was normally kept in one of the sheds at the Track. When it competed at the Shelsley Walsh hillclimb it was towed to the venue behind a Prince Henry Vauxhall. On this occasion a radiator cowl was fitted, which gave a 4 m.p.h. speed increase. Mrs. Menzies recalled that a passenger always Ifial to be carried, to check the lubrication sight-feeds.
The old Peugeot gave no trouble in Mrs. Menzies’ hands. She retains a very reasonably detailed model of the car which was made for Campbell and at least one of Item Brooklands’ trophies. It was a nice gesture that .when the Ravenglass & Eskdale narrow gauge railway had to transport their latest locomotive from Clarkson’s works in York to Ravenglass it 1was towed by a Fowler traction engine. A 1917 Yorkshire steam wagon is being restored in Gisburn. Vauxhall Motors Ltd. have added a 1923 14/40 Vauxhall Princetown tourer to their well-known collection of veteran and vintage cars.