Some Lucas history

Browse pages
Current page

1

Current page

2

Current page

3

Current page

4

Current page

5

Current page

6

Current page

7

Current page

8

Current page

9

Current page

10

Current page

11

Current page

12

Current page

13

Current page

14

Current page

15

Current page

16

Current page

17

Current page

18

Current page

19

Current page

20

Current page

21

Current page

22

Current page

23

Current page

24

Current page

25

Current page

26

Current page

27

Current page

28

Current page

29

Current page

30

Current page

31

Current page

32

Current page

33

Current page

34

Current page

35

Current page

36

Current page

37

Current page

38

Current page

39

Current page

40

Current page

41

Current page

42

Current page

43

Current page

44

Current page

45

Current page

46

Current page

47

Current page

48

Current page

49

Current page

50

Current page

51

Current page

52

Current page

53

Current page

54

Current page

55

Current page

56

Current page

57

Current page

58

Current page

59

Current page

60

Current page

61

Current page

62

Current page

63

Current page

64

Current page

65

Current page

66

Current page

67

Current page

68

Current page

69

Current page

70

Current page

71

Current page

72

Current page

73

Current page

74

Current page

75

Current page

76

Current page

77

Current page

78

Current page

79

Current page

80

Current page

81

Current page

82

Current page

83

Current page

84

Current page

85

Current page

86

Current page

87

Current page

88

Current page

89

Current page

90

DID YOU know that the little King Street workshop where Joseph Lucas began the venture which today provides the electrical and lighting equipment for the British Motor Industry, was demolished only two years ago? I gleaned this from an article in the November 1969 edition of Overseas Reflections, official organ of Joseph Lucas (Exports) Ltd.

Joseph Lucas started business as a lamp manufacturer in 1872 and acquired the Little King Street premises. in Birmingham in 1875. Apart from making lamps Lucas produced household goods such as pots and pans, but one of his first bids to-fame was the “Tom Bowling” ship’s lamp. It was from this lamp, called after a sea ballad. that the initials TBLW (Tons Bowling Lamp Works) came, which were stamped on all Lucas lamps prior to the use of the famous “King of the Road” trademark in 1878. The first lamp to carry this name was that for hanging within the front wheel of ordinary or “penny-farthing” bicycles. Before this Joseph’s Son Harry had joined the business. Which was renamed Joseph I mcasand Son. As the cycle trade expanded so Lucas served it. one of their famous early cycle lamps being the Model 300 “Silver King”, which cost 17s. 6d. in 1896 with heavy nickel-plated finish, patented mangin mirror and a magnifying reflector, it remained in production nearly up to the end of World War II.

By 1897 the limited liability company of Joseph Lucas Ltd. was formed with a move to Great King Street, so as to accommodate the 200 workers, nine male-staff and two typists! Joseph Lucas died of typhoid on an export mission to Naples in 1902, and Harry Lucas took full control. By 1910 the Motor Industry was well catered for and that year an electric conversion was sold for turning oil side lamps into electric ones. By ton the first car dynamo was developed, to obviate eigninual outside charging of the lighting batteries, and the first contract for such sets came from Morris in 1914.

The war emphasised the importance of British magnetos and in 1916 Lucas took over Thomson-Bennett magnetos. Lord Bennett becoming Joint Managing Director with Harry Lucas. The E60 dynamo for aeroplanes appeared that year, its cold weather tests being done in the Birmingham Meat Market in a refrigerator alongside the frozen meat. After the Armistice Lucas supplied the electrical equipment for the R34 airship and the Vickers Vimy biplane, both of if which conquered the Atlantic crossing. At this little, as the first 50 years ended, the Company was turning out 20,000 acetylene headlamps, 25,000 cycle lamps and ti.000 bulb horns per week.

This is but a brief survey of one of our leading industrial concerns, taken from the aforementioned article. This reminds us that a reader of MOTOR SPORT is working on a comprehensive history of British lamp manufacturers. If any publisher is interested we can put them in touch with the author.

You may also like

Related products