* Red Bull’s sponsorship umbrella is opening out into Jonathan Palmer’s new-for-2009 F2 series this season. The Austrian-based drinks company is placing former Formula Renault 3.5 drivers Robert Wickens and Julian Jousse in the European championship.
* Audi has taken the wraps off its new GT3 racer, the R8 LMS. Up to four Audi-affiliated teams will develop the V10-engined car in competition in the coming season prior to the delivery of the first customer car in the autumn.
* Former Grand Prix driver Tiago Monteiro has become a GP2 team owner. Together with a consortium, the Portuguese has purchased BCN and re-named it Ocean Racing Technology.
* The next-generation two-litre Formula Renault racer will be designed and built by a new consortium comprising the Le Mans-based Epsilon team and British-based automotive supplier Caparo, builder of the T1 supercar. The group takes over from Italian constructor Tatuus.
* The British Team Modena squad is stepping down from GT1 to GT2 for its 2009 Le Mans Series campaign. Modena is swapping team owner Rik Bryan’s Aston Martin DBR9 for a Ferrari 430 GT.
* Sports car all-rounder Pedro Lamy makes his Daytona Prototype debut in the Daytona 24 Hours in January. The Portuguese, who has raced for Peugeot at Le Mans for the past two seasons, will drive the Wayne Taylor Motorsport-run Dallara-Ford DP01 with Max Angelelli, Brian Frisselle and team boss Wayne Taylor.
* Former BMW stalwart Bill Auberlen will return to the marque to drive its new V8-engined M3 GT2 contender in the American Le Mans Series. He and fellow American Joey Hand are the first two signings for the Rahal Letterman-run programme.
* French single-seater team Signature Competition is moving into sports cars in 2009. Philippe Sinault’s team, which contests the F3 Euroseries, has purchased a Courage-ORECA LC70, which it will race in the Le Mans Series.
Enthusiasm vs objectivity
Sir, I find it difficult to believe that your correspondent Mr Cracknell (July 1999) has taken four decades to realise that Denis Jenkinson was an enthusiast rather than an objective…
Around the houses, August 2011
Around the houses NEWS FROM THE MAIN AUCTION HOUSES AROUND THE WORLD RM AUCTIONS — "Over £20.2 million achieved in two hours at RM's debut sale at the Concorso d'Eleganza…
Racing car development
When the Bira/Chula "White Mouse Racing Stable" was reformed in 1946 Prince Birabongse raced again with his 1936 ERA "Romulus" and the ex-Whitney Straight Maserati 8CM, but once racing really got…