● General Motors’ dream 30 years ago was to develop the world’s most sophisticated sports car, and to do this it wanted computer-controlled active suspension using Lotus F1 tech. Some £16m (£36m today) was flung at the shortlived project, with 25 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 test cars built. Four survive; one, from 1990, is at RMC Miami in the US, priced at £65,000.
● The only BRM P48 ever to win a race is chassis 486, on sale with William I’Anson, £POA. Most of the P48’s F1 results in 1960 were ‘Ret’, with Dan Gurney finishing once, but at the Victorian Trophy at Ballarat, Australia in 1961 Gurney and P48 clicked. The car is in “impeccable condition”.
● In 1998 Aston Martin unveiled its Project Vantage, top, a one-off fully functioning 6-litre V12 supercar with a claimed top speed of 200mph. It was a Vanquish before its time and ultimately saved the company’s bacon. In 2016 it was sold at auction in an Aston Martin Works Sale for £87,740. With just seven miles on the clock, it’s back on the market with Classicmobilia, £POA.
● York is not short of an attraction or two, and now JCT600 has added another with the 567sq m Porsche Centre York, above, not far from the Railway Museum. With Teutonic-tinged zeal, construction work took just nine months to complete.
● Remaining in York… those after a Hyundai i20 N after Motor Sport’s glowing review (November) might recognise Minstergate Hyundai’s sales exec. Gabriela Irimia is one half of pop duo The Cheeky Girls. Not to be outdone, twin sister Monica is on the books at Read Hyundai in Boston, Lincs.
Sir, Like your correspondent" Pierre," I, too, found that the female of the species is partial to sports cars. Unfortunately, I could not afford a Sprite, so I bought an…
The other side of Senna — his rage at Prost and Suzuka 1990
Immediately after last year's Japanese GP opinions regarding the Senna/Prost first corner shunt could be divided into two roughly equal camps, surprising though even that might seem to those who…
1967: South African Grand Prix In F1, Cooper's stock had dropped for five seasons, but there was a brief respite thanks to an unlikely alliance with Maserati. David Malsher recalls…