THE NUFFIELD TROPHY-continued from page 199
Hanson, which was undisturbed even when Whitehead took 1 min, for refuelling, compared with 42 secs. by Hanson. Hanson, however, having held fourth place for so long, was not destined to finish in that position. With only five laps to go, he had to stop at the bottom of the slope at Melbourne Corner with gearbox trouble, a hard fate after a good
drive. Ansell stepped up into his position. Dodson also was nearly put out at the last moment, for the bracket holding his near side rear spring broke, and the car
was proceeding all lopsided. He had covered 59 laps when the race was declared ended.
RESULTS 1. “B. Bin ” (E.R .1 .), 75.87 m.p.h.
1. “B. Bin ” (E.R .1 .), 75.87 m.p.h.
2. R. Mays (E.R.A.), lin. 38s. behind, 75.09 m.p.h.
3. P. N. Whitehead (E.R.A.), 63 laps, 74.18 m.p.h.
4. R. E. Ansel! (E.R.A.), 62 laps, 72.98 m.p.h.
5. C. J. P. Dodson (Maserati), 59 laps.
6. A. C. Pollock (E.R.A.), 59 laps.
7. Hon. P. Aitken (E.R.A.), 50 laps.
8. H. L… Hadley (Austin), 58 laps.
9. F. R. Gerard (Riley), 56 laps.