THE NUFFIELD TROPHY-continued from page 199
Hanson, which was undisturbed even when Whitehead took 1 min, for refuelling, compared with 42 secs. by Hanson. Hanson, however, having held fourth place for so long, was not destined to finish in that position. With only five laps to go, he had to stop at the bottom of the slope at Melbourne Corner with gearbox trouble, a hard fate after a good
drive. Ansell stepped up into his position. Dodson also was nearly put out at the last moment, for the bracket holding his near side rear spring broke, and the car
was proceeding all lopsided. He had covered 59 laps when the race was declared ended.
RESULTS 1. “B. Bin ” (E.R .1 .), 75.87 m.p.h.
1. “B. Bin ” (E.R .1 .), 75.87 m.p.h.
2. R. Mays (E.R.A.), lin. 38s. behind, 75.09 m.p.h.
3. P. N. Whitehead (E.R.A.), 63 laps, 74.18 m.p.h.
4. R. E. Ansel! (E.R.A.), 62 laps, 72.98 m.p.h.
5. C. J. P. Dodson (Maserati), 59 laps.
6. A. C. Pollock (E.R.A.), 59 laps.
7. Hon. P. Aitken (E.R.A.), 50 laps.
8. H. L… Hadley (Austin), 58 laps.
9. F. R. Gerard (Riley), 56 laps.
Le Mans central to Bentley's race plans
Bentley is planning a return to international sports car racing and promises to be back at the Le Mans 24 Hours inside five years. The British manufacturer, which is part…
In Brief, September 2010
• The Hampton Downs track in New Zealand will host two Bruce McLaren Festivals on back-to-back weekends in January. The MSC Formula 5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series starts at Ruapuna…
My hero Mike
I grew up in Guildford, Surrey, which is 10 miles east of where Mike lived, in Farnham on the Surrey/Hampshire border. About the only thing he and I otherwise had…