BMW Car Club
The weekend of June 16th/17th saw the official inauguration of an Historic section within the parent BMW Car Club. As the club itself caters for all BMW owners of the Munich cars, right up to the latest 1984 project, it was felt that a special sub-section to look after the interests of the older cars would be beneficial. Consequently the Historic section has been created for owners from the early Austin 7-based Dixi models right through the prestigious 1930s, when the 328 and 327 models raised the standards of sporting motoring, to the post war 507 sports car with its excellent V8 engine. From this point the Bayerische Motoren Werke re-started with the 4-cylinder ohc engines, from which today’s strong force of production models stemmed.
A large part of the years covered by the Historic section are those during which the German cars were imported into the UK by AFN Ltd, under the official title of Frazer Nash-BMW, and in which the 328 sports model set new standards. At the inaugural rally, which included a delightful scenic run through the Cotswold hills, there were four Type 328, three type 327 cabriolets, and two Type 319 sports among the assembled company. Anyone with a Frazer Nash-BMW, or a pure BMW of the years 1928 to 1958 will be welcome into the section and should contact John Giles, Pippin Cottage, Pye Corner, Atworth, near Melksham, Wiltshire. Tel: 0225 702022.