The Aintree Circuit Club, which has been in continuous operation since 1954, is being re-launched at a meeting on June 9 at 7.30pm in The Aintree Suite at The Park Hotel, Liverpool. Club president Graham Hughes is keen to bring racing back to the circuit where the British GP was staged in the 1950s and ’60s. “We want to build up our membership and bring back test sessions on the Club Circuit,” he said. “Demonstrations and even the re-introduction of racing is a possibility.”
The Masters Racing Festival at Donington Park went ahead as scheduled after the circuit’s track licence was renewed at the eleventh hour. During the event, the new Post-78 Ground Effects GP series got off to a shaky start, with three cars sharing races with the Grand Prix Masters cars.
The Lotus 21 used by South African Neville Lederle to score a World Championship point on his debut in the 1962 South African GP will be raced this year by Formula Junior driver Alex Morton. The 1500cc car, thought to be one of just three 21s running in Europe, will take part in HGPCA events.
A Buick-engined Cooper T61 raced by Bruce McLaren and Jack Brabham is back in the UK after over 40 years in the USA. Stephen Curtis owns the 1961 car which has never raced here, although Philip Walker first brought it back to the UK. Curtis hopes to run it at Goodwood in September.
Motor Racing Legends has added two extra races for 1950s sports cars to its 2009 schedule. The races for cars from the BRDC Historic Sports series and the Woodcote Trophy will be held at Dijon on June 21 and the new Algarve circuit on October 18.
The ex-Alan Jones Williams FW06/2 will be raced by Irvine Laidlaw in Grand Prix Masters this season. The Saudia-liveried car has had a full rebuild at the hands of Simon Hadfield having been recently owned by Abba Kogan.
The V8 Buick-engined Cooper T45 used by David Harrison in hillclimbs from 1961-65 has been bought by Barry Wood and is set to race this year. The 1958 chassis is thought to have lain unused since the mid-60s. Wood plans to run it in the HGPCA following a total restoration by Ian Nuthall.