Reports of recent events

G.P. du Roussillon

This race was for Formula II cars, and was run over a round-the-houses circuit at Perpignan measuring 1-1/2 miles to a lap. The first heat was a win for Trintignant's Simca, at 42.16 m.p.h., who led home Martin's famous B.M.W. and Prince Igor's Simca. Wimille livened up heat 2 by averaging 59-3/4 m.p.h. in his Simca to finish ahead of Sommer's 2-litre V12 Ferrari and Bonnet's D.B. However, it was Trintignant who won the 62-3/4-mile final, at 58.9 m.p.h., his Simca beating Manzon's Cisitalia, Sommer's sick Ferrari and Prince Igor's Simca.


Montlhéry Sports Car Races

A 94-mile sports car race at Montlhéry was won by Meyrat's 3.6-litre Delahaye at 76.8 m.p.h. from Louveau's 3-litre Delage, the latter netting fastest lap at 87-1/4 m.p.h. A Riley won its class and Simon's Talbot-Lago the 40-mile Novices' Race, at 70.68 m.p.h.


Irish M.R.C. Eniskerry Speed Hill-Climb

Fastest time of the day in this event, held over a new 1,300-yard course embracing nine bends, went to F/Lt. Large's "TC" M.G., in 52.85 sec., the runner-up being G. D. P. Colley (Frazer Nash), in 53.31 sec.


Mille Miglia --  A Healey Saloon Wins the Touring-Car Category

This year's famous 1,000-Mile Race was very strenuous indeed for what is, in any case, an arduous event, for the roads were for the most part slippery. The early stages of this great contest saw Nuvolari's V12 Ferrari in the lead at 76 m.p.h., but trouble set in and he gave way to his team-mate Cortese, who, however, had lost third-speed of his five-speed gearbox. Cortese, too, retired, but Biondetti, who won last year in an Alfa Romeo saloon at 69.9 m.p.h., then went into the lead for the team, finally winning at an average speed of 75.84 m.p.h. in his V12, three-carburetter, transverse-leaf, i.f.s., 2-litre Ferrari coupé. His co-driver was Navone, and their fine drive occupied 15 hr. 5 min. 44 sec. The winning Ferrari was followed home by a mass of special F.I.A.T.s, the streamlined 1,100-c.c. saloon versions handled by Comirato and Dumas and by Apruzzi and his brother being 2nd and 3rd, at averages of 69.1 and 67.25 m.p.h., respectively. Four Lancia "Aprilias," two Healeys and a Cisitalia also finished in the first twenty, but Taruffi (Cisitalia), Banti (Cisitalia), and Amendola (Maserati) were amongst the many who retired, the last-named due to a crash which killed Bai, the co-driver. Ascari and Sanesi also failed to finish, the latter crashing and badly injuring himself. The Healeys from England made a brave show and secured grand prestige thereby. Donald Healey, partnered by his son, got his two-seater home 9th, in spite of hitting a dog and damaging his car severely, while Count Lurani and Sandri, in a saloon, finished 13th on general classification, in spite of having lost its rear-axle locating rod. Lurani's car made the fastest (and record) average in the touring-car class, winning at 65.15 m.p.h., after a fine run lasting 17 hr. 82 min. 12 sec. They beat the Lancia "Aprilia" of Bornigia and his brother and another car of this make and type, handled by Bracco, these taking 2nd and 3rd places. Capelli and Nosotti in a F.I.A.T. won the under-1,100-c.c. touring-car class.

Of the sports cars, Bianchetti's Alfa Romeo was fastest of the over-2-litre cars at 66.45 m.p.h., the race-winning Ferrari the 2-litre division, Comirato and Dumas the under 1,100-c.c. category at over 61 m.p.h. in a F.I.A.T., while Fiorio and Avalle's F.I.A.T. 500 took the under-750-c.c. sports-car class.

Results :

General Classification--

1st: Biondetti and Navone (2-litre Ferrari), 15 hr. 5 min. 44 sec.

2nd: Comirato and Dumas (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T), 16 hr. 33 min. 8 sec.

3rd Apruzzi and Apruzzi (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T.), 16 hr. 52 min. 30 sec.

Touring Cars up to 1,100-c.c. --

1st: Capelli and Nosotti (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T.), 20 hr. 5 min. 42 sec.

2nd: Minzoni and Chiti (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T.), 20 hr. 18 min. 58 sec.

3rd: G. Caffaro and M. Caffaro (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T.), 20 hr. 21 min. 5 sec.

Sports Cars up to 750-c.c. --

lst: Florio and Avalle (F.I.A.T. 500), 19 hr. 37 min. 29 sec.

2nd: Francesconi and Chinellato (F.I.A.T. 500), 20 hr. 23 min. 36 sec.

3rd: Panzacchl and Faccioli (F.I.A.T. 500), 20 hr. 48 rain. 45 sec.

Touring Cars over 1,100-c.c. --

lst: Lurani and Sandri (Healey), 17 hr. 32 min. 12 sec.

2nd: Bornigia and Bornigia (Lancia), 17 hr. 47 min. 49 sec.

3rd: Asti and Asti (Lancia), 17 hr. 59 min. 4 sec.

Sports Cars up to 1,100-c.c. --

lst: Comirato and Dumas (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T) 16 hr. 33 min. 8 sec

2nd: F. Apruzzi and A. Apruzzi  (1,100 c.c. F.I.A.T.), 16 hr. 52 min. 30 sec.

3rd: Terigi and Berti (1,100-c.c. F.I.A.T.), 16 hr. 57 min. 10 sec.

Sports Cars up to and over 2 litres  -- classes united

 1st: Biondetti and Navone (Ferrari), 15 hr 6 min. 44 sec.

2nd: Bianchetti and Cornaggla (Alfa Romeo), 17 hr. 2 min. 43 sec.

3rd: D. Healey and J. Healey (Healey), 17 hr. 26 min. 10 sec.


G.P. des Nations, Geneva

This race, held over the street circuit of Geneva, measuring under two miles to a lap, was run off over 147 miles and won by G. Farina's two-stage 16-valve Maserati, at 61.18 m.p.h.  E. de Graffenried's Maserati finished 2nd, 1 min. 53.9 sec. behind, at an average of 60.51 m.p.h. and Sommer's V12 unblown Ferrari was 3rd, at 59.52 m.p.h. It was a hard race, lasting 2 hr. 23 min. 52.4 sec., and many cars retired, including Villoresi's Maserati, with engine maladies. Farina made fastest lap, at 63.86 m.p.h. The small-car race for the Geneva Cup saw Sommer win in a 1,100-c.c. Simca in 2 hr. 6 min. 1.1 sec. for the 128.6 miles, an average of 61.33 m.p.h. "Bira," in a similar Simca, was a mere 14.6 sec. behind, at 61.13 m.p.h., taking 2nd place, ahead of Manzon's Cisitalia, which was a lap to the bad, at 57.66 m.p.h. Sommer netted the quickest lap, at 62.12 m.p.h., which, if compared with the Maserati's speed, indicates the sinuous nature of the course allied to the excellence of a Simca. Incidentally, home-bound linguist-enthusiasts please note, we heard a good commentary on the Sunday afternoon from Radio Cologne.


N.Z.S.C.C. 50-Mile Beach Handicap

This race attracted nine starters, composed of a twin-carburetter Austin Seven special, a Riley saloon, a B.S.A., a model A Ford, a "12/50" Alvis, another Riley, two Ford V8s, and the V8-engined Thompson-Special. The course was 50 laps of a beach circuit with two 1/2-mile straights joined by 180-degree bends and some very spirited cornering was indulged in. After a V8 Ford had twisted its front axle, the Alvis had lost its floor-boards, the remaining V8 Ford and the V8-Special had paused for water and the Austin Seven had broken a fuel pipe, the model-A Ford won from a Riley, another Riley being third, the B.S.A. fourth, Alvis fifth, a V8 Ford sixth and the Thompson Special last.


Monte Carlo G.P.

Farina won the Monte Carlo Grand Prix very easily indeed in his tubular-chassis, two-stage, 16-valve Maserati, averaging 59.61 m.p.h. for the 198 miles. Chiron worked his way steadily to the front with his monoplace 4-1/2-litre Talbot, to take 2nd place, his race time being 3 hr. 19 min. 2.1 sec., against Farina's 3 hr. 18 min. 20.9 sec.;  de Graffenreid's Maserati was 3rd, in 3 hr. 19 min. 14.1 sec. for 98 of the required 100 laps. Trintignant's Simca was 4th, Villoresi commenced to duel with Farina but after six laps was delayed by a pit stop, after which he worked his way up to 5th place, and Ascari took over, maintaining the car in that position. Behind these five cars came Cabantous' 4-1/2-litre Talbot, Chaboud's 3.6-litre Delahaye and Bucci's Maserati. Farina made fastest lap, at 62.32 m.p.h., for the sinuous round-the-houses Monaco circuit. The Simcas of "Bira" and Sommer retired with lubrication and valve trouble; Parnell's E-type E.R.A. broke a piston after 22 laps, when running 14th; Harrison's E.R.A. had engine trouble after 47 laps, while lying 13th; Prince Igor crashed his V12 Ferrari, Wimille's Simca got up to 2nd place for a while but its engine packed it in after 60 laps when the little car was in 3rd place; Ascari's own Maserati broke its oil pump, and Rosier's Talbot, Nuvolari's Cisitalia, Pagani's Maserati and Taruffi's Cisitalia also failed to finish.


Frontieres Sports-Car Races, Chimay

The big-car category was a victory for Mairesse (Delahaye), who finished ahead of Louveau's 3-litre Delage, Cleas' Talbot, Garland's Delage and Ripley's Healey. Louveau was delayed by ignition trouble but contrived to make the fastest lap, at 83.7 m.p.h. Mairesse's winning average was 79.4 m.p.h. De Saugé, driving his Cisitalia at the request of the organisers, won the 2-litre class at 72.7 m.p.h., while Scott's H.R.G. was 2nd, only 18.7 sec. behind, with Vernet's Riley 3rd and Peter Clark, his H.R.G. delayed by vapour locks, 4th. In the 1,100-c.c. race de Saugé, in the class in which he had entered, won at 67.9 m.p.h., his Cisitalia finishing ahead of Bessieres N.G. Special and Mme. Elder's Simca.

Our correspondent on the spot writes :—

The XVIII Grand Prix des Frontieres was held under perfect conditions on the Chimay circuit and was for sports-cars, running under F.I.A. regulations.

The meeting was preceded by events for motorcycles for both Belgian and international riders. Many English riders competed in the latter events, and the 500-c.c. class was won by the Englishman E. E. Briggs, riding a Norton.

The first event for cars was for voitures up to 1,100 c.c. and was over six laps of the 10.87 Kms. circuit. Of the seven entries only Savoye (Singer) was a non-starter. From the start, de Saugé, driving a sports Cisitalia, took the lead and remained unchallenged, appearing to tour round with ease, to win by over half a lap from Bessieres, who was driving a F.I.A.T.-based special. Third was Eckerlain with a special, called a C.T.E., which was powered by two D.K.W. car engines on a common crankcase.

The second race, for cars up to 2 litres, had six starters, there being seven non-starters, among whom was Legros with his special, consisting of a B.M.W. engine and gearbox in a G.P. Bugatti chassis and covered with very pretty, narrow two-seater coachwork. In practice Legros had gone very fast indeed but had to withdraw after fracturing an oil pipe. The car, which was beautifully constructed, was built by an Englishman in Brussels, Captain Arkell. The race was over eight laps, and at the start Peter Clark took the lead with his Aerodynamic H.R.G. After one lap the order was Clark, de Saugé (Cisitalia) and J. Scott (Aerodynamic H.R.G.). Marcus Chambers was managing the H.R.G. pit and there was much consternation when de Saugé took the lead on the third lap and Clark signalled trouble. Scott continued to chase the Cisitalia but was unable to pass, and they finished in that order, with Vernet on his Riley "Sprite" a long way behind in third place. Clark finished fourth after two pit stops due to fuel-feed troubles.

The third race was undoubtedly the big race of the day, being for cars over 2 litres. There were 12 starters, Louveau, Versini, Veuillet and P. A. T. Garland on Delages, the last-named driving the 1938 T.T. winning car and the others being on post-war cars; Meyrat and Mairesse were driving Delahayes, while Cleas drove Rosier's Talbot, Ripley a Duncan-Healey, Havaux a Type 49 Bugatti, Macklin a "4-1/2" Invicta and two Belgian drivers completed the field with home-made specials. Louveau took the lead and after the first lap was leading comfortably from Mairesse, Meyrat and Garland. Cleas was fifth after having a slight contretemp in which the nose of his car was badly dented. After two laps, Louveau came into his pit and Mairesse took the lead and continued to drive very steadily to win a well-driven race. Meyrat held second place, followed by Cleas and Garland, with Louveau in fifth place, after a second pit stop. On the eighth lap as Meyrat approached the Tribunes, his off-side front stub-axle broke and by a really first-class piece of driving he brought the Delahaye to rest from 90 m.p.h. without colliding with anything, even though the pits were very near.

The excitement was not over for on the same lap Louveau got his Delage to function really well and drove magnificently to catch and pass both Garland and Cleas and finish second behind Mairesse, with Cleas third and Garland fourth.


Chimay Notes --

Two Duncan-Healeys practised, driven by Ripley and Tenbosch, but were not very fast. The twin S.U.s were fitted with Vokes filters.

The H.R.G., Clark-Scott, équipe was managed by Marcus Chambers, and the tender car was a utility-bodied "Speed Six" Bentley. In racing trim the H.R.G.s weigh 14 cwt.

The Cisitalia of de Saugé was most unimpressive to look at, being purely functional.

Havaux's Bugatti was a standard "3.3" single-cam Type 49, with 16 plugs and one carburetter, and was rather slow.

In the small car class, all-enveloping bodies were the order of the day, with very low overall height.

The public address system by Phillips was first class and the announcer, Jean Leroy, Editor of Les Sports, was magnificent.

The right-hand bend after the pits was taken full-bore by the motor-cycles and by the sidecars at around 100 m.p.h. The only car to go round flat-out was Louveau's Delahaye. 

The H.R.G.s were reaching 102 m.p.h. on the straight.


Veraelli Races

The 1,100-c.c. sports-car race was won by Scagliarini's Cisitalia from the Stanguellini F.I.A.T.s of Nesotti and Bertone. The 2-litre racing-car class saw a Cisitalia beat a Ferrari. Apparently the Ferrari which Nuvolari drove in the Mille Miglia retired with a leaking oil cooler. Cisitalias with 1,100, 1,200 and 1,500-c.c. engines were in evidence, and one of these cars had a Lancia "Aprilia" engine.