Stock-car racing, a la Pugh, continues at New Cross Stadium, which has been converted from a dirt to a tarmac surface for the purpose. Although it may seem that no rules of any kind apply to this form of racing, there are a few, which we append for those who are interested:
(1) Headlamps and bumpers to be removed, headlight holes to be covered.
(2) All cars to have wings and running boards if so equipped when new; nothing to be cut or abbreviated except for clearance or reinforcements; all bumper bars to extend to the edge of the tyres.
(3) Silencers must be removed.
(4) Safety-glass windshield is compulsory; all other glass must be removed.
(5) All doors to be welded, bolted or strapped shut with approved type of traps.
(6) Any type of crash bars allowed, but if wider than the chassis they must be rounded at the ends.
(7) Seat and upholstry must be removed and a bucket seat welded in.
(8) Inside steel roll bars and bracing is compulsory.
(9) Any stroke and crankshaft permitted and blocks bored to any size.
(10) Water pumps may be altered and any type of radiator used as long as the bonnet fits.
(11) Any type of carburetter permitted; no superchargers allowed.
(12) Any type of camshaft allowed and any type of fuel.
(13) Self-starters must be in working order; all cars must leave the pits and the starting line under their own power.
(14) Petrol tanks-may be removed and placed inside the car, securely fastened. Petrol lines to run underneath the car.
(15) Chassis may be strengthened but not altered or cut. Wheel base must be standard and no welding allowed on any steering parts.
(16) Any four-wheel brakes allowed, but they must be in good working order.
(17) Any interchangeable wheel or tyre allowed.
(18) Gear-changes and locked back axles allowed; floating axles with safety hubs permitted.
(19) Exhaust pipes must extend outside the body.
(20) Safety hubs on front wheels are recommended.
(21) All cars must have a steel roof and any “soft-top” cars must be reinforced with a steel plate.
(22) A quick-release safety belt of aircraft pattern mutt be fitted.
(23) No driver shall drive with arm or any other part of the body extending outside the door or body of the car.
(24) All drivers or mechanics must wear a crash helmet when trying out the car. The safety belt must also be secured.
(25) No car may carry more than one person at any time.
(26) Television suppressors must be fitted.