Collins (Ferrari) Wins International Trophy


THIS year the International Trophy race did not take its usual form of two short heats and a final, but took place over 50 laps of the Silverstone circuit in the form of a non-stop 150-mile race. Open to cars of F1 and F2 the two types ran together for an overall classification with a special sub-division for the F2 cars. Of the remarkable entry of 33 cars only one failed to appear for practise and this place was soon filled from a waiting list, so that on both practise days there was a great deal of activity. The two 1,960-c.c. works Coopers were going very well and Salvadori and Brabham annexed the first two places on the starting grid; next came Moss in Walker's 1957 Cooper, though he had made fastest time of all in Walker's 1958 Cooper, and fourth place on the front row went to Collins in a works V6 Ferrari, a lone entry from Maranello. In the next row were Behra in a 1958 B.R.M., Flockhart in one of last year's B.R.M.s, and Hill with a single-seater Lotus fitted with a 1,960-c.c. Coventry-Climax engine. In the third row was a F2 Lotus driven by Allison, the first of the 1,500-c.c. cars, along with Lewis-Evans (Cooper), Gregory (Maserati) and Brooks (Cooper F2) and the rest of the field of Coopers, Maseratis and Lotus followed.

As the flag fell Moss stalled the engine of his Cooper and being in the middle of the track he had to sit and wait, while the whole field roared off, dodging by on both sides of him, before his mechanics could restart the engine. Collins led away, followed by Behra and Floekhart and at the end of the opening lap the two B.R.M.s were still holding on to the Ferrari, with Gregory in the blue and white Centro-Sud Maserati just behind. Then came Brabham and Salvadori followed by Hill in the 2-litre Lotus and Bonnier (Maserati) being hard pressed by Lewis-Evans and Bueb (Lotus F2). By lap three the field had spread a little and Collins and Behra were out in front. Brabham had passed Gregory and was pressing Flockhart, and Salvadori was pressing Gregory, while Hill followed at discreet distance and already there was a gap before the rest of the field came by. Moss was coming up fast after his delayed start and had no trouble in catching the majority of the field, but he was not gaining on the leaders for both Collins and Behra had set a new lap record in 1 min. 40 sec. and were drawing further away into the lead. On lap five the B.R.M. went by the Ferrari and by lap eight had drawn out sufficient lead for Behra to look comfortable and relaxed, while Collins was working hard to keep Brabham at bay and after a gap came Flockhart, Salvadori, Gregory and Hill. Then there was quite a long gap before Lewis-Evans appeared leading the F2 category and many F1 cars as well, and he had Moss just behind him, about to move up into ninth place but making little headway on the leaders. On lap 11 Behra was overtaking a slower car when a stone flew up and smashed his goggles and cut his eye, necessitating a stop at the pits and this dropped him back to 10th place, leaving Collins with a very comfortable lead. On the very next lap Brabham lost second place when a plug cut out and he had to stop at the pits to have it changed which dropped him way back behind Behra, so that the order was now : Collins firmly in the lead, followed by Flockhart (B.R.M.), Salvadori (Cooper F1). Gregory (Maserati), Hill (Lotus F1), Moss (Cooper F1), Lewis-Evans (Cooper F2), Allison (Lotus F2), Bueb (Lotus F2), Behra (B.R.M.), Trintignant (Cooper F1) and Brabham (Cooper F1) with the rest of the field way behind. Halford (Maserati) was surrounded by Coopers, as were Scarlatti and Kavanagh in their Maseratis, while Bonnier had been into the pits to look at his rear suspension.

Salvadori was not making any impression on Collins, but he did get past Flockhart and on lap 18 someone spilt oil on Copse Corner and Collins got into a full-lock slide and went sideways onto the grass, though he did not spin as the official observers imagined. He kept the engine running as he hit the grass bank and carried on without damage and lost only a few seconds. Lots of other cars slid about on the oil, and Halford went off the road backwards and stalled. The marshals push-started him right in the path of following cars and while Wicken (Cooper F2) was dodging about Flockhart arrived and had no choice but to drive off the road. The B.R.M. went up the bank on the outside of the corner and ended up in a ditch with bent front suspension. On lap 20 Moss gave up the unequal struggle of his poor start and retired with a damaged gearbox and Behra got past Lewis-Evans, so that the order was now : Collins, Salvadori, Gregory, Hill, Behra, Lewis-Evans, Brabham, and Allison, with Richardson in his Connaught and a group of Coopers led by McLaren in a bunch behind. Bueb had retired his F2 Lotus after quite a fast drive as it was overheating and Trintignant had gone out for the same reason, while Brooks had given up with an obscure loss of power on the third car of the Walker stable.

The race now settled down into a steady pace, Collins always comfortably in the lead with the Ferrari sounding very healthy, though Behra was gradually catching Hill, the Lotus still in fourth place behind Gregory's Maserati. Further back the F2 category took on added interest when Allison eventually caught Lewis-Evans and then went past and drew ahead, the Lotus obviously superior to the Cooper. On lap 39 Behra caught the 2-litre Lotus and on the next lap moved up into fourth place and Hill began to slow due to fuel starvation, so that Brabham also caught him. By lap 44 Collins had lapped everyone except Salvadori, Gregory and Behra, so that we had the excellent sight of four different makes of Formula 1 cars on the same lap in the order : Ferrari, Cooper, Maserati and B.R.M. and they stayed thus until the end of the 50 laps, while the F2 category saw Lotus lead Cooper over the line. – D.S.J

Results :
INTERNATIONAL TROPHY – Formula 1 and 2 – 50 Laps – 150 Miles – Warm and Dry.

1st: P. J. Collins (Ferrari V6) … 1 hr. 26 min. 14.6 sec. – 163.86 k.p.h. (101.82 m.p.h.)
2nd: R. Salvadori (Cooper 1,960 c.c.) … 163.12 k.p.h.
3rd: M. Gregory (Maserati 250F) … 162.70 k.p.h.
4th: J. Behra (B.R.M.) … 161.59 k.p.h.
5th: J. Brabham (Cooper 1,960) … 1 lap behind
*6th: C. Allison (Lotus F2) … 1 lap behind
7th: S. Lewis-Evans (Cooper F2) … 1 lap behind
8th: S. Hill (Lotus 1,60 c.c.) … 1 lap behind
9th: B. McLaren (Cooper F2) … 2 laps nehind
10th: J. Russell (Cooper F2) … 2 laps behind
11th: I. Burgess (Cooper F2) … 3 laps behind
12th: G. Richardson (Connaught B-type) … 3 laps behind
13th: B. Kessler (Cooper F2) … 4 laps behind
14th: A. E. Marsh (Cooper F2) … 4 laps behind
15th: D. Taylor (Lotus F2) … 4 laps behind
16th: B. Halford (Maserati 250F) … 4 laps behind
17th: W. Seidel (Maserati 250F) … 5 laps behind
18th: K. Kavanagh (Maserati 250F) … 5 laps behind
19th: G. WIcken (Cooper F2) … 7 laps behind
20th: S. Ouvaroff (Cooper 1,760 c.c.) … 7 laps behind

Fastest lap : J. Behra (B.R.M.) and P. J. Collins (Ferrari) on lap 2 in 1 min. 40 sec. – 169.58 k.p.h. (105.37 m.p.h.) (new record.)
* 1st in Formula 2 catrgory

Retirements : S. Moss (Cooper F1), gearbox; R. Flockhart (B.R.M.), crashed; C. A. S. Brooks (Cooper F2), loss of power; I. Bueb (Lotus F2), overheating; J. Bonnier (Maserati), rear suspension; M. Trintignant (Cooper F1), overheating; G. Scarlatti (Maserati), rear suspension; H. Taylor (Cooper F2), gearbox; F. R. Gerard (Cooper-Bristol); R. Moore (Cooper F2); R. Thackwell (Cooper F2); R. Gibson (Cooper F2); D. Shale (Cooper F2).


The three Walker-stable Coopers had their race success painted neatly on the scuttles, we wonder if the failures will elan be inscribed ?

* * *

It was nice to see Richardson having a good long race with his ex-works Connaught and for quite a while he was locked in combat with Halford's Maserati.

* * *

If Behra's goggles had not been broken it might have been a B.R.M. victory, for the new car went perfectly.

* * *

Lotus seemed to have it over Cooper in F2 on the Silverstone Circuit, but in F1 it was the other way round.

* * *

Most impressive of the new boys to Silverstone was the Southern Hemisphere driver Bruce McLaren in a Cooper F2, being beaten only by Allison and Lewis-Evans. No disgrace at all.

* * *

Some of the Maseratis surrounded by F2 Coopers looked like bloated sows with their young.

* * *

The Rob Walker team appeared to be taking on more than their facilities and abilities could cope with; two F1 Coopers and a F2 Cooper, and all retired.

* * *

As the meeting was promoted by a Beaverbrook newspaper, surely Robert Glenton could have done better in the Sunday Express than to put Harry Schell in the race at the wheel of the second B.R.M. and even caption a picture as showing Schell having Flockhart's accident ! Glenton seems to enjoy the crashes and even saw " part of the circuit looking like a scrap-heap, with buckled cars on the verges " ! Perhaps, like Schell, Glenton wasn't there at all ?


The lone works Ferrari was a V6-engined car of the type raced in the Argentine, with tubular top wishbones at the front and an open-top Perspex shield round the carburetters, though it had the latest turbo-finned front brake drums. Behra had the first of the 1958 B.R.M. cars with new all-tubular chassis frame, modified engine, low-level exhaust system and new front suspension. The wishbones are now of round-tube construction instead of square-section and the body is no longer a stressed skin structure round the cockpit, but is completely detachable, though it looks the same as on the 1951 cars, one of which Flockhart was driving. Salvadori and Brahham had the F1 works Coopers with double-wishbones on each side at the rear as well as the front, using the normal coil springs and rollbar at the front and a thin transverse leaf-spring at the rear. Moss used the rebuilt Argentine-winning 1957 Cooper, Trintignant had Walker's Aintree-winning 1958 Cooper F1 and Brooks the ex-Lister 1957 Cooper F2. In the Lotus camp Hill and Allison had 1957 cars, the former with 1,960-c.c. Climax engine and the old quadrant gate gear-change, while Allison had a 1,475-c.c. Climax engine and the new positive-stop gear-change as had Bueb on his brand new and unpainted F2 Lotus. Masten Gregory and Seidel drove the Centro-Sud team's Maseratis that they used in Siracusa; Kavanagh and Scarlatti had their own 1957 ex-works lightweight cars, Bonnier his ex-Godia car and Halford his ex-Bira car.


Besides the main race, the B.R.D.C. had arranged the usual supporting races. The first was for sports cars up to 1,500 c.c., over 25 laps or approximately 75 miles, from a Le Mans start. A Le Mans start should be confined to races of at least three hours' duration, otherwise it can seriously distort the results. As it was, Bueb in his Lotus led away, pursued by Young's Maserati-engined Parson and Raby's Elva, Graham Hill made a horrid start, then set about some furious motoring through the field, so that after only three laps be was third behind Salvadori in Coombs' Lotus 15 and Keith Hill in the 1,100-c.c. Team Lotus. Mackenzie Low's Elva had passed Bueb, who was being challenged by Campbell-Jones' Lotus.

Hill was now really motoring splendidly in the twin-cam Lotus 15, although it was not a very fit car, about the only reassuring aspect being that the water temperature was normal! However, on lap seven Hill got past Salvadori, Hall remarkably holding third place in the 1,100 Lotus. Campbell-Jones was fourth, followed by Tony Marsh's Lotus and then Bueb, while immediately behind came a tight cluster of five battling cars, led by Low's Elva, from which Stacey in another 1,100 Team Lotus was to emerge to do battle with the leaders. Hill had broken the Class F lap record, going round at 97.56 m.p.h. on laps five and six.

At approximately half distance it was Hill, Salvadori in the first production Lotus 15, with four S.U.s and positive-stop gear-change, crackling on the over-run and getting lots of back-axle tramp. Stacey and Campbell-Jones, a fine Lotus benefit, with the 1,100s going most creditably.

On lap 14 Salvadori passed Hill, whose Lotus was now lacking clutch, had no brakes and felt twitchy on the corners. There was more drama in store, however, because Salvadori came to rest on lap 19 with ignition trouble, so that Hill found himself again in the lead, Hall second, ahead of Stacey, whose starter-Bendix had caught up at the start, so that his third place in this 1,100 car was truly commendable, and Campbell-Jones fourth.

Seeing a chance of getting their 1,100-c.c. Lotuses home first and second in this 1½-litre race Hall and Stacey pressed on regardless, tyres protesting, in pursuit of Hill's sick new Lotus. The last lap was truly dramatic, for Hall in the smaller-engined car took Hill going into Club Corner. Out of Club Corner and up to Abbey Curve Hill gave the Lotus all it had, in spite of being without clutch and virtually devoid of brakes into Abbey he repassed Hall, but missed a gear change as he cut across the course, followed by Hall, allowing Stacey to go round outside both cars. Hill was able to recover and, opening up, beat Stacey to the finishing line by a mere second, Hall dropping to third place after finding himself awkwardly placed in the Abbey Curve incident. While all this was enthralling spectators who could see the run-in to the finish, at Copse Hicks tried to win a race-long duel with Piper by passing on the inside or the corner, only to find his Lotus spinning into the ditch.

Sports Cars up to 1,500 c.c. 25 Laps. Approximately 75 Miles.
1st G. Hill (Lotus 15) … 47 min. 10.4 sec. (93.07 m.p.h.)
2nd: A. Stacey (Lotus 1,100) … 47 min. 11.4 sec. (93.04 m.p.h.)
3rd: K. Hall (Lotus 1,100) … 47 min. 12.0 sec. (93.02 m.p.h.)
1,100 c.c. Class : Stacey (Lotus)
Team Award : Team Lotus
Fastest lap : Hill (Lotus), 97.56 mph.

Then followed the race for Sports Cars over 1,500 c.c., over the same distance, again with a Le Mans start. Just as at Goodwood at Easter Ferrari sprung a surprise with his new 2-litre V6 sports car, now Aston Martin produced out of the hat, as it were, a new 3-litre for Moss to drive. It had a new 92 by 75 mm. (2,990 c.c.) dry-sump engine with twin o.h. camshafts operating valves at 80 deg. included-angle in an aluminium-alloy head, with dual ignition and six single-choke Weber carburetters. This new DBR3/300 was obviously being tried out in readiness for Sports Car Championship races. It had a space-frame chassis with wishbone i.f.s., using longitudinal torsion bars and torsion-bar de Dion rear suspension. Aston Martin had also entered two DBR/2 cars with backbone chassis and 3.9-litre engines for Brooks and Salvadori. The challenge was expected to come front Scott-Brown in the 3.8 Lister-Jaguar. It was the familiar Lister-Jaguar which got away first—how does Archie manage his phenomenal Le Mans starts ?—followed by Brooks. Salvadori and Halford in his 3½-litre Lister-Jaguar.

After the opening lap Scott-Brown still led Brooks, but Masten Gregory in the Ecurie Ecosse 3.8 Lister-Jaguar, a scoop rigged up by "Wilkie" in its cockpit to cool the back brakes which got so hot at Aintree, was now third, ahead of Salvadori and Moss. Hawthorn sixth in the 3-litre V6 Ferrari, with transverse leaf-spring de Dion rear end.

It soon became obvious that the American driver was in his element on this circuit in the Lister and that Scott-Brown, for all his cornering technique, had met his match. At the commencement of lap five Gregory closed with Brooks and, passing the Aston Martin, set about steadily pursuing Scott-Brown. Brooks, finding his Aston Martin handling badly, mistook Gregory's brake-lights, as he pumped his brakes down the straight, for a signal that the car was breaking up and, to the dismay of Team Manager Reg Parnell, called at his pit to have it inspected. This was the end of David Brown's hopes, for Salvadori, too, was finding the DBR2 a difficult car on the Silverstone circuit, while Moss’ new 3-litre, subject of a special hand-out to the Press the day before, " blew-up “ on lap 14 with what could have been a dropped valve.

On lap seven the cool, steady Masten Gregory took Scott-Brown on the inside of Copse Corner and Archie's public had to swallow and like it, for the Ecurie Ecosse Lister just ran away from the works car.

After lap six Hawthorn, although he didn't like the manner in which the 3-litre Ferrari rode the bumps, was past Salvadori, the acceleration of the Italian car formidable, especially as it was giving away nearly a litre to the leading Listers, and was a I.h.d. car on a clockwise-circuit.

By lap 16, 28 sec. separated Hawthorn from Gregory, who led Scott-Brown by 15 sec. and who was drawing away. Halford pressed on well until his Lister broke its off-side top wishbone, letting Bueb's 3½-litre Ecurie Ecosse Jaguar up a place, while Brooks was going well trying to regain lost ground; indeed, he finished fifth in spite of his pit-stop.

Masten Gregory set a new sport-car lap record of 101.32 m.p.h. and won comfortably and convincingly. This is a result with which Brian Lister can be well satisfied, for it isn't a bad thing when the customer beats the works entry and for the small Cambridge firm (output about one car a week) to so convincingly vanquish the David Brown cars was a magnificent achievement. Nor can Ferrari be disappointed with third place on the first appearance of his new 3-litre sports car. Allison's 1,960-c.c. Lotus went splendidly, working up-to seventh place after a tussle with Bueb's Jaguar, but retired with a broken gearbox oil-pipe.

Sports Cars Over 1,500 c.c. 25 Laps. Approximately 75 Miles
1st: M. Gregory (3.8 Lister-Jaguar) … 44 min. 06.4 sec. (99.54 m.p.h.)
2nd: A. Scott-Brown (3.8 Lister-Jaguar) … 44 min. 34.0 sec. (98.51 m.p.h.)
3rd: M. Hawthorn (3.0 Ferrari) … 44 min. 52.4 sec. (97.84 m.p.h)
Fastest lap (new sports-car lap record) : Gregory (Lister-Jaguar), 101.32 m.p.h.
Team Award : Lister-Jaguars Of Gregory, Whitehead and Rousselle.
Up to 3,000 c.c. Class : Hawthorn (Ferrari).

The latter part of lunch-time was occupied by the Production Touring Car or Saloon Car race. There is not a shadow of doubt about it, the spectators love this kind of racing in which the cars, although obviously tuned, bear reasonably close resemblance to those they can buy. It might be advantageous to extend the duration of such races to one hour and standardise this for all meetings, so that direct comparisons could easily be made. Also, the Le Mans start, dangerous because the drivers do not have time to fasten safety harness or even to shut their doors securely, should be abandoned. The Silverstone race was over 20 laps or approximately 60 miles, which took Hawthorn's winning 3.4 Jaguar just under 42 minutes, so a one-hour race could easily be accommodated in the programme.

This class of racing is not without danger. When Brierley's Sunbeam Rapier got out of control by the pits a large proportion of those present saw Taylor's 1.5 Riley touch it and then roll over and over in a spectacular and unpleasant manner; some spectators having hysterics as the driver emerged from a rear window as by ejector seat. Remarkably, he wasn't seriously hurt. Then A. T. Foster's very fast M.G. Magnette lost a rear wheel and rolled. Foster stepping out when expedient, unhurt. At Copse Scott's Ford Zephyr got into difficulties and involved the works Ford Zephyrs of E. Harrison and Riley, causing a change of shape of the automobiles and retirement for Harrison and Riley.

The race got away to a Le Mans start, interest somewhat diminished by the absence of Connaught Engineering's Citroen DS19s' the Bristol and the Skoda, amongst ether non-starters. (Connaught Engineering's explanation for the absence of the DS19s. is that their axle ratio is unsuited to Silverstone; they were obliged to lap in third gear, over-revving, and as the regulations do not permit a change of axle ratio there was no option but to withdraw them.) Soon Tommy Sopwith's 3.4 Jaguar was leading Hawthorn's similar but perhaps not quite so " hot " Jaguar, with Flockhart's Jaguar third, ahead of Sir G. Baille's Jaguar. The last-named lost oil-pressure and retired, putting Uren's Ford Zephyr into fourth place. Bonnier had push-started his Volvo, the starter of which had packed up, a valiant effort indeed, and now this ugly but effective 1.6-litre saloon was coming rapidly through the field.

The Ford Motor Company had achieved much publicity on account of its first-ever race entry, sponsored by Borg-Warner Ltd., of three automatic-transmission Ford Zephyrs. However, the race merely underlined the fact that such a gearbox, by reason of weight and oil-drag, is a penalty for maximum performance-Uren's privately-entered Zephyr, with normal gearbox, averaged 75.77 m.p.h. for the race, compared with the best Ford entry, Scott's, average of 73.86 m.p.h. (a loss of 1 min. 5 sec.), these Fords being mildly tuned, with a single downdraught S.C. Carburetter on a special manifold and raised compression-ratio. They were all on Michelin " X " tyres, as was the A105. Cuff-Miller's quite standard Zephyr averaged 72 m.p.h., finishing 1 min. 6 sec. behind Scott, Cuth. Harrison in another works-tuned Zephyr being only 17.6 sec. ahead of Cuff-Miller at the finish.

Indeed, Uren's drive was one of the highlights of the day. He was eventually passed by Jack Scars' Austin A105 but thereafter closed right up to the Austin's rear bumper, eventually repassing, to beat the Austin by 4 sec.-as the basic price of the Austin is £823, that of the Zephyr £610, and Sears' car was in twin-carburettor trim, whereas Uren's was merely assisted by the aforesaid alterations evolved by Lincoln Cars, Dagenham certainly scored, but not by grace of automatic transmission.

Taking the race class by class, Sopwith tried very hard with the Jaguar, but presumably Hawthorn was just playing with him, because on one lap Sopwith found Richards' Austin A35 in his path at Stowe Corner and used the lay-by, running wide. This gave Hawthorn a considerable lead, yet next lap Sopwith was again ahead, suggesting that Mike waited for him. Towards the end Hawthorn went ahead, both Jaguars causing speculation on account of the smoke they emitted. Bolton's Jaguar ran out of road.

In the next class Uren's privately-entered Ford Zephyr nobly vanquished the Austin 105, as noted above. Bonnier found his Volvo uplifted to the class above due to non-starters but, in spite of his solo push-start, beat all but two 1.5 Rileys, a Borgward and Walker's M.G. Magnette.

Les Leston's 1.5 Riley won the 1,500 c.c. class but A. T. Foster's remarkable M.G. Magnette, entered by R. W. Jacobs, was leading the lighter B.M.C. product until shortly before it crashed, due to a wheel coming off. Grace's 1.5 Riley was second, Bridger's Borgward third, the Sunbeam Rapier and Simca being disappointingly slow. Both Borgwards cornered without roll but the other one retired in a pool of oil. At one time Sparrowe's D.K.W. could dominate the up-to-1,100 c.c. class but this time Graham Hill's Austin A35 was 29 sec. faster, helped by an Amal carburetter to provide clear breathing. Its average speed of over 71 m.p.h. really is outstanding. It was on Dunlop Gold Seals. All the A35s cornered well. Gerard's A35 finished ahead of Wright's Morris Minor, Richards' A35 and a touring Renault Dauphine; Sprinzel's A35 didn't finish.

Apart from speed, the wallowing of some of the saloons was edifying and the back ½-elliptics of Scott's Ford Zephyr, in particular, looked horrid. Let us have more of these interesting races !

Touring Car Race. 20 Laps. Approximately 60 Miles.
1st: M. Hawthorn (3.4 Jaguar) … 41 min. 42.4 sec. (84.22 m.p.h)
2nd: T. Sopwith (3.4 Jaguar) … 41 min. 43.2 sec. (84.19 m.p.h.)
3rd: R. Flockhart (3.4 Jaguar) … 43 min. 39.8 sec. (80.44 m.p.h.)
Fastest lap and new Production Car lap record : Hawthorn (Jaguar), 87.08 m.p.h.
Class Winners :
Up to 1,100 c.c. :
G. Hill (Austin A35) 71.31 m.p.h.
1,101-1,500 c.c. : L. Leston (Riley 1.5) 74.68 m.p.h.
2,001-3,000 c.c. : J. M. Uren (Ford Zephyr) 75.77 m.p.h.
Over 3,000 c.c. : M. Hawthorn (3.4 Jaguar) 84.22 m.p.h.

This excellent and instructive day's sport, for which we have to thank the Daily Express, and which drew a crowd estimated at over 100,000, concluded with a Formula III race over 15 laps, or approximately 45 miles. This settled down into a ding-dong battle between Lewis-Evans' Beart-Cooper and Jim Russell's R. R. Jackson Cooper. Lewis-Evans was in the lead on lap 11 when his engine ceased, and although he stood up in his seat out of Copse and peered at it, it wouldn't run again. Russell went on to win easily from Parker. Truman, a hard-trier, worked his way through the field to a well deserved third place.

Formula III Race. 15 Laps. Approximately 45 Miles
1st: J. Russell (Cooper) … 29 min. 22 sec. (89.70 m.p.h.)
2nd: D. Parker (Cooper) … 29 min. 58 sec. (87.91 m.p.h.)
3rd: D. Truman (Cooper) … 31 min. 07 sec. (84.65 m.p.h.)