The Brooklands Automobile Racing Club has circularised members to the effect that the war-time subscription of one guinea per annum is again due. We all hope that racing at Brooklands will get going again just as soon as the war is over, and we all appreciate the need for clubs to look after the coffers during this dead period. However, most clubs which appeal for war subscriptions do something for their members in return. The 750 Club still holds meetings, the C.U.A.C. its dinners, and the J.C.C. issues a quarterly “Gazette.” We believe that the B.A.R.C. club-house is now “out-of-bounds” to members and certainly the track is closed. We respectfully suggest that the B.A.R.C. would get a better response to its appeal for continued financial backing if it were to offer something in return. If a simple social outside the track is not practicable, we would suggest the issue of a Year Book, giving results of those 1939 Brooklands events which were held up to the outbreak of war, to line up with those which the Club has published regularly since about 1913. In the meantime, we hope those members who have not yet done so, will send in their subscriptions, and so help to guarantee the continued existence of a quite irreplaceable motoring venue. Percy Bradley no longer has any connection with the B.A.R.C., whose new address is:— “Prinsted,” Guildford Road, East Horsley, Surrey.
BUGATTI OWNERS’ CLUB
Another appeal comes from the Bugatti Owners’ Club, in respect of Prescott. It is felt that Prescott House can be let “for the duration,” and so relieve the club of a heavy responsibility, if the roof of the house is repaired. This will cost nearly £250, and so Eric Giles appeals urgently for such subscriptions as are due and have been promised, together with any contributions that supporters of the club may care to make for this very deserving cause. His address is:— 2, Queen Street, Mayfair, W1.
WE HEAR . . . .
We hear that Mrs. R. O. Shuttleworth is preserving the late Richard Shuttleworth’s collection of veteran ears intact, and that they may eventually go to a museum. We learn with deep regret that Major Allen, a well-known supporter of the Veteran C.C., was killed last year in a motor-cycle accident; his collection of antique vehicles is also to be preserved. A. Mundy, who spent two years with E.R.A. Ltd., is now a Flying Officer, R.A.F., and is still running his “12/60” Alvis, late of the “Scuderia Impecuniosa.” An enthusiast now in the R.A.F. has acquired the whole of Vadum’s stock of Salmson spares and can supply to anyone requiring them, at favourable prices, while he would like to hear from any Salmson enthusiasts, whether they want parts or not, and to buy any examples of these cars that are available. The address of this new “concern” is:— R. & P. Green, “Mentmore,” Purkin Lane, Farnham Common, Slough. (Farnham Common 468) Papworth is reported to be busy with aeroplane work, but his Filmer Road premises are also very active, chiefly with comprehensive overhauls of cars in the 4½-litre Lagonda and 4¼-litre Bentley category. The two-cylinder Edwardian Renault at the T.T. Garage at Farnham, of which Hawthorne, who used to race Rileys, is the proprietor, is in rare good order and could change hands at £45. Tom Rolt’s 1903 Humber turns out to be at Tim Carson’s garage at Basingstoke, and Rolt really doesn’t wish to sell, although he would consider a really reasonable offer. His wife’s 200 Mile Race Horstmann, sans tyres, is also at Carson’s place, and Rolt, who is dabbling in agricultural machinery, has laid up his “12.50” Alvis and motors these days in a 1929 Austin Seven. Elderly cars seen in action recently have included an 11 h.p. back-axle gearbox Wolseley saloon, a “9/20” Humber tourer with full black-out equipment and a licence that expired in 1938, two early Morrises, and a well-preserved Fiat Eight tourer. An estate agent of Epsom uses a 7 h.p. 1908 two-cylinder Renault fitted with 1912 two-seater body for daily business journeys and reports that it has good brakes, is 100 per cent. reliable and gives 33 m.p.g., with a maximum of 35 m.p.h. There is another of these cars, in sound mechanical order, languishing in Kent. Warm congratulations to S. H. Light, who has been awarded the George Medal for bravery at sea. He used to compete in the Monte Carlo Rally with an A.C. and in M.C.C. events with S.S. and A.C. cars; he was also in the S.S. team in the 1934 Alpine Trial.