The Ulster Automobile Club has issued the Regulations for the 1950 Circuit of Ireland Trial, to be held at Easter. This trial, which covers 1000 miles in Eire and Northern Ireland is the equivalent—in the British Isles—of the famous Monte Carlo Rally, and is run on similar lines. The cars, which must be standard vehicles, have to average 30 m.p.h. over the entire course, with the exception of two special sections.
Competitors have a choice of starting from either Dublin or Belfast, joining up at Dundalk. On the first day, the course then takes them through check points at Navan, Kilcock, Enniscorthy, and on to Cork for the night stop, the first driving test—in the Wicklow Mountains—being included. The second day finds competitors checked at Bantry, Waterville, Tarbet and Galway. Two tests are held on this day, in the Tim Healy Pass and in the Slieve Mish Mountains near Tralee. Between Waterville and Tralee the cars pass over the Ballyghasheen Pass, reputed to be “the loneliest road in Ireland” in the heart of the Kerry Mountains. The third day brings them from Galway through Leenane, Crossmolina, Dungloe and Creeslough on their way to Derry, and includes a driving test at Ballyfarnum in the Leitrim Mountains. The Trial finishes on Easter Tuesday, when they drive from Derry to a disused dispersal site at Nutt’s Corner Aerodrome, passing through one check at the Beeches, near Portadown. At the finish, the two final tests are held and the cars are scrutinised, marks being lost for any damage suffered during the course of the trial.
Owing the great popularity of this event, it has been decided to limit the entries to 180, and intending competitors are advised to send in their entry forum as soon as possible, to the Ulster A.C., Saxone House, Donegall Place, Belfast.