The Motor Cycling Club was formedin 1901 by a group of young gentlemen about town who considered that the motor cycle was an agreeable sporting alternative to the horse. The Club’s first president was S. F. Edge.
In 1980, whilst Charles Jarrott was its President, the MCC organised a run from London to Land’s End and back, with just 15 hours allowed in each direction for the journey. To celebrate its 80th anniversary the Club is organising a run, at Easter 1981, for Veteran and Vintage cars and motorcycles in conjunction with the regular Land’s End Trial. A maximum of 50 entries will start at one minute intervals from midnight on Friday 17th April, from the Frying Pan Cafe, on the A303 near Sparkford, in Somerset. The route will be about 300 miles long, and will include many of the hills used on earlier events — such as Porlock, Barton Steep, Ruses Mill, and the pre-1936 version of Bluehills Mine. An attack upon Beggar’s Roost will be optional.
The time schedule of the commemoration run is being kept deliberately gentle, and the route will be strictly non-damaging, in order to encourage entries from owners of those cars which used to compete but which now find things too difficult. (Trojans, 30/98s, Bentleys, Alvises, etc.).
Co-promoters with the MCC of the run are the VSCC, the VCC, and the VMCC. This means that the MCC does the administration and the other clubs are expected to produce the entries.
1981 is a rather special year for the MCC, and it would be rewarding for it to have a good turnout of Vintage and lusty Edwardian cars for the commemoration run. It is hoped that there will be a good Vintage entry for the Lands End Trial proper, but that will be restricted to MCC members only.
Regulations and entry forms can be obtained from John Aley, Cairndale, Stoney Lane, Thurston, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Tel: 0359 31001. Entries close on 9th March.