* Sportscar legend Derek Bell was due to sign off his international career in style at last month’s Daytona 24 Hours. The 66-year-old was competing in the race for the first time in five years. Bell was entered in a RVO Motorsports Riley-Pontiac in a five-strong roster of drivers including his son Justin.
* The Krohn Racing team scratched its new B08/70 Daytona Prototype from the Florida 24-hour race after failing to get enough test miles on the car. The B08/70, which is a joint venture between Krohn and British constructor Lola, is now scheduled to make its debut in round two of the series at Homestead on March 29.
* Peugeot moved closer to entering its 908 HDi turbo-diesel Le Mans challengers in the Sebring 12 Hours in March when it took part in last month’s official pre-season test at the track. The in-house Peugeot Sport team ran one car in the three-day test.
* Champ Car legend Paul Tracy will remain with the Forsythe team for the 2008 series. The Canadian, who won the title in 2003, had a firm contract with the team but had been in a dispute over his salary.
* Pioneer aviatrix Elly Beinhorn has died aged 100. The first woman to fly around the world in 1932, she was a celebrity in Germany before she married Bernd Rosemeyer in 1936. She notched up many long-distance flying achievements pre-war, latterly in her Messerschmitt Taifun monoplane. Rosemeyer took her around the Nürburgring in his Auto-Union, and she also lapped Monza in a V16 A-U – the only woman to drive one.
* Freddie Wyvill, 1983-2007 Motor Sport is very sad to report the death of Freddie Wyvill. Freddie had only been working at Motor Sport for a short time, but had made an immediate impact on the entire team with his hard work and enthusiasm. We dedicate this issue to him.
Alfa Romeo SS
When it proved too hefty as a racer, the SS was transformed into a luxurious and distinctive grand tourer whose performance belies its age By Richard Heseltine, Photography by Howard Simmons Every…
F1 exhibition launched
A new Formula 1 exhibition has been launched at the Science Museum in London. ‘Fast Forward: 20 ways F1 is changing the world’ illustrates how the sport’s manufacturers and researchers…
• Oct 6 Yorkshire MSA British Historic Rally Championship www.rallyyorkshire.co.uk • Oct 5-7 Spa (B) Classic Six Hours www.motorclassic.com • Oct 12-14 Magione (I) …