The solutions to the quiz questions set on page 170 (web version page 18 ) last month are: (1) Bugatti; (2) A.V.; (3) Chenard-Walcker; (4) Diatto; (5) Austro-Daimler 27/80.
Some further questions, set by the same contributor follow — solutions next month:
(1) 1/4-elliptic front springs and disc brake in back axle casing.
(2) Had a locomotive, head on, as part of its radiator badge.
(3) Four-cylinder, water cooled, but o.h. push-rods ran completely exposed outside the block.
(4) Petrol tank was filled through the dummy radiator cap: had a vertical gear change.
(5) Four-cylinder; cooling ribs on radiator header tank; a kickstarter was worked by driver’s left foot and engaged a worm on the clutch-shaft extension.
(6) Driver sat on a single seat in centre with passengers on each side sitting on back-staggered separate seats.
(7) Accelerator pedal when depressed opened throttle, but also raised oil troughs under the big-ends so that the latter dipped in deeper at high speeds.