Sainz goes marching in

No rally in the world has been subjected to as much change dictated from outside as the Safari. Even taking into account the introduction of pace notes on the Lombard RAC Rally, the elimination of impossibly tight road sections on the Tour of Corsica and the similar easing of the Acropolis, the Safari has suffered most from the diluting demands of FISA-dictated standardisation.

The softening of the world series has not been without its advocates, and most professional drivers of works teams have been happy to endorse the coming of longer, more frequent rest stops and the reduction of night driving. Safety has been the justification for such changes, but we wonder . . . Drivers have to drive faster and, arguably, take more risks, but they are always well rested and, save for privateers, have much less need to draw on their stamina and tenacity.

It has also played right into the hands of manufacturers who now need only concentrate on speed and handling. Long-term reliability has become less important for there are invariably plenty of opportunities for service, and if something breaks, it can usually be replaced fairly quickly. If such service possibilities were made less frequent, and competitors not trailed so closely by their engineers, cars would have to be made stronger, probably heavier as a consequence, and thus correspondingly safer. There would also be more moral substance in manufacturers’ advertising of rally successes.

Greater reliability would no doubt result in less performance, but what of that? Rallying was just as tough even tougher, perhaps when Minis, Saabs, Cortinas and the like were battling it out.

Even the so-called danger of night driving has been made an excuse for campaigning in favour of daytime running only, when helicopters can be in constant attendance. Whilst not wishing to decry progress by referring to ‘the good old days’, we nevertheless feel that the Safaris of years past put crews and cars to a far greater test than the present version. and if anyone could devise means of drastically reducing service opportunities other than by cutting time allowances (which encourages risk-taking) we would like to hear of them.

When the Safari covered Uganda and Tanzania as well as Kenya, and indeed after it became a Kenya-only event, the five-day rally was divided into two legs by one rest stop, with an additional, shorter rest stop at the extremity of each leg. This year, the event spanned six days and there was a rest stop not only every night but sometimes in the daytime as well. Indeed, according to schedule, the total running time this year was 43 hours and 24 minutes, whilst the rest time totalled an amazing 75 hours and 17 minutes.

Another departure from tradition this year was the move away from the Easter weekend, a result of FISA’s decree that no two World Championship events should be too close together. However, the result was a Safari start two and a half weeks after the Portuguese Rally and a Safari finish four weeks and two days before Corsica. This made no difference to the Portugal Rally, gave an entry advantage to the Tour of Corsica and was unfair on the Safari.

Running mostly on working days rather than during a holiday weekend meant that marshals were harder to find, whilst there were greater numbers of trucks and buses on the roads. On the other hand, there were fewer spectators than in the past and traffic jams were less common near controls close to major towns.

The combined duels of Lancia v Toyota and Kankkunen v Sainz look like being as hot this year as they have ever been and it was unthinkable that those two teams and their two leading drivers should not take part. However, the other leading works teams stayed away, even Nissan, which has won the event more times than any other manufacturer.

Lancia sent three Delta HF integrales for Juha Kankkunen/Juha Piironen, Jorge Recalde/ Martin Christie and Bjorn Waldegard/Fred Gallagher. Waldegard has spent the last few years driving Toyotas, his appearances gradually being reduced until he had just the Safari on his World Championship programme, but when the Cologne team didn’t require his services this time he was snapped up by Lancia.

Recalde makes occasional appearances for Lancia, but he has done so well in previous Safaris (he was leading a few years ago when a collision with a herd of goats put him out) that the pre-event testing was left almost entirely in his hands.

All three cars, fitted with additional equipment for the Safari such as dust-proof cooling vents and drinking water systems for the drivers, were entered by Martini Racing.

To back up the competitors, Martini Racing had some 60 mechanics in Kenya, 13 service vans, eight ‘mud cars’, six chase cars, two helicopters which were rented locally and a high altitude aircraft for radio relay, not to mention trucks for fuel, tyres and bulk spares, and vehicles to carry helicopter fuel, helicopter engineers, team doctors, management staff. . .

Toyota also had a team of three cars, Celica Turbo 4WDs driven by Carlos Sainz/Luis Moya, Markku Alen/lIkka Kivimaki and Mikael Ericsson/Nicky Grist. All three cars were entered by Toyota Team Kenya which also entered a fourth car, the 1991 Celica GT-4 which had been Ericsson’s practice car this year, for Kenyan pair Ian Duncan/Dave Williamson. The latter had their own service arrangements, provided by Toyota Kenya and Mombasa vehicle assembly company AVA, separate from the Cologne team, but they were given as much help from the works mechanics as they could provide.

The team had a service network equal to that of Lancia, except that it had three helicopters, one for each car.

Naturally, each of the works Toyotas was built specifically for the Safari, and sported various additional features including a ‘snorkel’ tube running from the engine air intake along the top of the left front wing and up the windscreen pillar to the roof. Snorkels have been used in the Safari for decades, and it was the local competitors who first gave the idea to visitors, but these were in the nature of stove-pipes which were rammed on to exhaust pipes whenever deep water had to be crossed.

There were no works Nissans or Mitsubishis from their bases in the UK, nor Mazdas from Belgium, but Kenjiro Shinozuka came from Japan to be partnered by Briton John Meadows in a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 entered by Mitsubishi Oil Ralliart. The absence of Nissan meant that Mike Kirkland was not there, and we were among many who missed his ebullient presence.

Subarus from Prodrive were also absent, but there were two Group N Legacies from Japan driven by Per Eklund/Johnny Johansson and Patrick Njiru/lan Munro. Both these were entered personally by the Subaru team boss in Japan, Noriyuki Koseki. Njiru, currently the best of Kenya’s African drivers, spent some years in Tokyo and has a good command of the Japanese language.

Following their amazingly reliable progress last year, four Daihatsu Charades were entered by Ryce Motors, the Kenyan distributor, and driven by an all-Kenyan team, Marco Brighetti/Abdul Sidi, Guy Jack/Dez Page-Morris, Raju Limbani/Jairaj Hirani and Ashok Pattni/Zahid Mogul. That indefatigableadventurer from Austria, Rudi Stohl, brought his Audi 90 Quattro, partnered by Berliner Peter Diekmann, whilst Stohl the younger, Manfred, drove a similar car with Kay Gerlach. Stohl Snr, having finished third in the Ivory Coast Rally last year, is an A-seeded driver and drew number four in the start order. However, he knew that he would not be able to match the pace of works cars so he came to an arrangement with the teams that that he would be warned by one of their helicopters should any of their cars be attempting to pass him in his dust.

The Safari now has a rest stop every night, but early morning starts mean that a few hours are spent in darkness, and some drivers complained that this night driving is dangerous and should be scrubbed. This is a case of safety being used as an excuse for personal and team requirements. There is no doubt in our mind that the real reason is the fact that the helicopters cannot fly at night, and the drivers do not want to be without their comforting attendance even for just a few hours.

Generally, helicopters and rally servicing do not mix. Their use has contributed to the huge escalation in rallying costs and has put even the most well-sponsored and competent nonfactory drivers completely out of contention. With instant help by expert mechanics always at hand, the works drivers are unmatched, and they can drive even beyond the breakage limit of their cars, knowing that repair is not far away.

In our opinion, organisers of World Championship rallying should not wait for FISA action but should take the initiative and ban all servicing and movement of mechanics or spares by helicopter. The sport would become better for it, and cars would have to be that much more reliable.

Cars of the current generation are said to be fast, strong and reliable, but we do not agree. Fast, yes: strong, to a certain degree; reliable, no! Breakages and failures are common, and without immediate service many of today’s works cars would not survive. How can a car be said to be reliable if it needs constant attention, regular component replacement, and to be followed by service vehicles, chase cars and helicopters to get it to the end of a five or six day rally?

There is nothing wrong, of course, in the use by teams of helicopters for medical evacuation or to carry their own film crews from place to place, and such uses should even be encouraged. but there should always be a watch against misuse, such as a ‘cameraman’ being a mechanic in disguise, or a medical cabinet housing spare struts and driveshafts!

Some five weeks before the start. Waldegard had a mishap in practice when, swerving to avoid a dog, he went off the road and broke some bones in his arm and wrist. Surgery was carried out most effectively at the Nairobi Hospital, and this was supplemented when Waldegird flew back to Sweden for further treatment. At the start, with his arm firmly strapped. he was confident of his ability to drive competitively, although a knob had been fitted to his steering wheel in order to make cornering easier.

Friday’s first leg ran from Nairobi’s Kenyatta Conference Centre down to Mombasa, looping off the main tarmac road for competitive sections from Kajiado to Hunters’ Lodge, just to the east of the main road near Mtito Andei, through the Taita Hills and through the coastal region inland of Kilifi. The return journey on the Saturday included a loop from Mazeras (where the famous river crossing is no longer), through the bush and sisal from Maungu via Rukanga to Mwatate, again into the Taita Hills, a loop to the east starting just south of Hunters’ Lodge and finally a short loop from Mathatani into the Mua Hills.

Sunday’s leg again came southwards, firstly going close to Kajiado then turning northwards all the way to Ernbu before skirting Muranga (formerly Fort Hall) and returning via Thika.

On the Monday, the route went west of the Ngong Hills, through the Kedong Valley and almost to Narok, where it turned north to Mob, Elburgon. Eldama Ravine, the Kerio Valley and a night stop at Eldoret. The toughest leg came on Tuesday when a 3 am start took competitors northwards through the Cherangani Hills, beyond Kapenguria, over the Marich Pass (now sadly covered by tarmac) and over the Kito Pass down to a stop on the shore of Lake Baringo. The leg continued by skirting the lake anti-clockwise up to Tangulbei, up to Maralal, then down via Barsalinga, Colcheccio, Tirnau and Naro Moru to an overnight stop in the Aberdare Country Club. just to the west of Mount Kenya.

The final leg on the Wednesday was a relatively short but very tricky series of competitive sections in the maze of roads, valleys and hills to the west of the Aberdare Range. emerging near Kijabe and then going down the main road to Nairobi. Total planned distance was 2730 miles, of which 1760 were competitive. Some of those competitive sections were cleaned, however.

Dry weather in the weeks before the start suggested a dusty Safari, but some short but violent storms just a few days before suggested a muddy one, and raised the hopes of farmers who had been indulging in rain dances for weeks! However, the rains never came in full strength and the event was largely dry and very dusty, although some rain did dampen the roads in the northern sections. Alternative routes had been published in advance by the organisers, to be implemented if any section became impassable due to bad weather. Another contingency plan was drawn up due to political strife during the days before, in the run-up to Kenya’s elections. Tribal conflicts reared their heads, and there were cases of riot, traffic being stoned indiscriminately and even killings, but the rally itself was not disrupted.

Not at all unexpectedly, all the running was between Lancia and Toyota, with the others forming almost a separate rally behind. However, Duncan’s performance caused quite a stir when he showed himself to be capable of beating some of the favoured works drivers in his 1991 Toyota.

Waldegard collected a puncture on the first day. whilst Sainz needed attention to an oil leak. Eklund’s power steering began leaking hydraulic fluid and one mechanic was later scalded when he mistook a water hose for a hydraulic line and disconnected it. Zimbabwean Billy Rautenbach was also in trouble early in the event when a front strut broke at the top and punched its way through the bonnet. However, it was fixed and he continued. Later, he needed a new driveshaft and the combined time loss amounted to about 90 minutes.

Ericsson’s rear differential began leaking, was topped up on the main road and fixed properly at Bura before he entered the Taita Hills. Sainz also needed a new rear differential oil seal. Shinozuka replaced a burst water hose, though not before the engine overheated somewhat.

After the first passage through the Taita Hills, Alen commented that his car was “going too much sideways”, and this oversteer continued into the next day or two. Nearer Mombasa, Kankkunen had a tread come off one of his tyres at over 100 mph, whilst Ericsson lost something like half an hour when he rolled several times just after Bamba. He told an amusing tale afterwards of the first thing he saw after coming to rest, hanging upside down in his straps; it was a naked lady running away, followed by her amorous companion. Fortunately, the gentleman summoned help and the car was eventually righted. The windscreen was later replaced in the Mombasa closed park, though they were fined 500 shillings (£10) for having a missing mudflap.

In the early sections, Recalde had taken the lead by one minute from Alen, but in the sections nearer the coast Sainz got ahead of both of them. Recalde, who had collected two punctures, said that he found it very difficult to drive in thick dust, especially after dark, but the same problem affected Sainz, who started at number 8.

The Lancia drivers were experiencing the first of many rear shock absorber faults, and this cost them dearly as the rally progressed.

Some 38 cars left Mombasa on the second leg. Sainz ahead of Recalde and Alen by two minutes, with Waldegard. Duncan and Kankkunen another minute behind. Alen still complained of oversteer, whilst Ericsson had a slow puncture. Dust was getting into his car after his roll, and he had to have his door handle repaired after he found he was unable to get out of the car!

After passing through the bush area to Rukanga, where elephant were seen on the road and in the sisal plantations beyond, the second passage through the Taita Hills brought a fright for Alen and Kivimaki when their in-car fire extinguisher suddenly went off. Afterwards, at Ndi, Duncan needed a new left rear half-shaft, and Shinozuka some oil taken out of his overfilled gearbox. Njiru had some body damage after going off the road in the sisal plantation, whilst Kankkunen had collected two punctures, one front and one rear, by hitting a bump rather too hard.

Sainz had turbocharger trouble in the Taitas and there was a great rush of activity to change it for him at Ndi. When the job was over, he roared up the tarmac, anxious to get to the short rest stop at Mtito without losing time. Imagine his chagrin when, probably due to overheating, a tyre burst. But his helicopter was not far away and it landed to assist. Nevertheless, he was four minutes late into Mtito Andel and dropped to third place. behind Recalde and Alen.

Meanwhile, Jack had gone through a fence in the sisal area and emerged with wire wrapped around an axle, whilst Stohl Snr had explored a ditch and damaged his front suspension. Pattni found his steering difficult due to a loose hub, but this was put right just before Nairobi.

The next competitive section began at Makindu, and it was in here that Alen’s turbocharger pressure dropped right down, which cost him about half an hour. Duncan had stopped on the main road before Makindu with a broken propshaft bearing but, just by coincidence, a Toyota works service van came by and the crew got him going again very quickly.

But the Toyota problems were nothing like as serious as those of Lancia. After Makindu, all three Lancias had their rear shock absorbers break and the cars became almost undriveable. As the team’s two helicopters moved in to help, the cars could be driven only slowly. Those of Recalde and Waldegard were put right first, but then the helicopters were without any more spares, and one of them had to leave to collect the parts before returning to get Kankkunen on his way.

The result of all this was Sainz regaining the lead, Recalde dropping to second and Duncan moving up to third. The Kenyan was certainly showing the visitors that they weren’t going to have things all their own way, helicopters or no helicopters.

Towards the end of that loop off the main road, Waldegard stopped for fuel and tyres near the Kilome control, and whilst one of the service crew was pouring high-octane fuel into the funnel, some spilled and immediately ignited, probably due to a spark from the electric nut-tighteners being used on the rear wheels. With a tremendous whoosh, the car was immediately engulfed in flames and, an explosion or two later, was completely destroyed. The occupants were out of the car in a flash, but one of the service crew, local man Trevor Jones. was not so lucky. He was burned and had to be taken to Nairobi Hospital in one of the team’s helicopters. He was said not to be seriously hurt, but we understand that skin grafts will nevertheless be necessary later.

Soon after Salaama, where cars rejoined the main road, there was a second pall of smoke when Shinozuka’s Mitsubishi, after refusing to fire up, was tow-started, whereupon thick smoke came from both the exhaust and the engine bay. The cylinder head gasket had blown, probably the result of earlier overheating when a water hose burst. Mechanics at once began changing the gasket at the roadside, and it is to their credit that they not only got the car going again but got it to the end of the rally.

At Nairobi, where 34 cars qualified to restart, Sainz led by seven minutes from Recalde, followed after nine more minutes by Duncan. Kankkunen was another two minutes behind, followed by Alen, Ericsson, Njiru and Eklund.

The third leg began as dry and dusty as the first two. Duncan drove for 10 miles with a slow puncture, whilst Alen had to stop for a gearbox and clutch change. Sainz had a brake caliper replaced, and Pattni needed attention to a bent stabiliser bar and a distorted sumpguard. Smoke was also being generated by a shock absorber which had been moved sideways to touch a tyre. The other Daihatsus were all trouble-free.

In mid-leg, the Lancias again needed new rear shock absorbers, whilst Duncan had a flattened exhaust pipe replaced. Ericsson, he and Grist still suffering from the dust getting into their car, had his left rear tie-rod replaced, and when Alen complained of severe transmission vibration It was found to be caused by a balance weight having come off the propshaft.

Jack had the misfortune to swerve to avoid a herd of cows, going off the road and hitting a tree. Much rear end damage was caused and several hours were lost. Njiru was in collision with a spectator’s car, causing frontal damage and the need to replace the fanbelt, whilst Rai was unable to disengage his clutch for a while after a bolt loosened and came off.

At service before Nairobi, both major teams indulged in considerable preventive maintenance, Toyota changing struts, driveshafts, gearboxes and turbochargers, and Lancia changing shock absorbers and driveshafts. Kankkunen also had a bent stabiliser bar replaced.

It was here that Sainz was one of several who foretold an accident to come when he said that children and others were getting too excited by the appearance of helicopters. Without any police to keep crowds back from helicopter refuelling and landing sites, the aircraft were being dangerously surrounded by people, some of thern frighteningly close to tail rotors which become almost invisible when actuated. The inevitable happened. Later in the rally, a spectator walked directly into a tail rotor, and was killed instantly.

There were 33 cars left for the fourth leg. There had been slight rain, but not enough to lay the dust which was a severe problem, especially on the powdery surfaces of the Kedong Valley and the run northwards from Narok. Duncan had been delayed when he broke a front strut, ironically on a speed bump in a main road on the way out of Nairobi.

In the Kedong. Ericsson’s engine stopped for some mysterious reason and he was unable to restart it. A chase car got behind him, bumper to bumper, and the engine eventually started, but the Swede was unable to get full revs and could not drive at his usual pace. He was caught by team-mate Alen who began shouting on his radio to ask that Ericsson pull over to allow him to pass. Toyota’s airborne relayer called to him constantly, but there was no response, probably because the Swede had his radio turned off so that he could concentrate on pace notes in the dust.

Meanwhile, Alen kept frantically calling, saying that he was down to 20 kph and would soon have to stop altogether because to keep going was too dangerous. At one point. Kivimaki even got out and used a torch to find the road! A chase car was sent to stop Ericsson, but even this move failed. Eventually, everyone emerged from the section, but there were some frayed tempers.

Kankkunen needed new rear shock absorbers again before Seyabei, and said that even though he had a six-minute gap between himself and the car in front (due to Duncan’s delay) he was still troubled by dust. His rear shock absorbers were changed yet again later at Eldama Ravine.

Rautenbach’s car was hit by a jumping buck, cracking his windscreen and shattering his right rear window. Shinozuka found himself driving in the bush after he completely lost sight of the road, and there was an unpleasant smell in the car after the exhaust was pushed up to touch the body, causing a spare tyre to melt and smoulder. Stohl had to bypass his electrical master switch after it became faulty. whilst Eklund had turbocharger failure and had to drive slowly for some 50 miles. Sainz, having taken on fuel before Eldama Ravine, had to return for more when he discovered that he hadn’t taken enough. but this cost him no time. Later, he began experiencing back discomfort and a team doctor was sent out from Eldoret to have a look at him.

Later, Ericsson found himself in Alen’s dust and the comment was that the morning’s boot was then on the other foot! However, Alen was delayed soon afterwards when a wheel bearing broke up and he had to wait until a helicopter crew had replaced it.

A radio operator reported that Recalde had left red-hot ball bearings on the ground when he left his control, and not long afterwards, he stopped to have a broken driveshaft replaced! Kankkunen collected his seventh puncture of the rally on the way to Eldoret. He also counted six rear shock absorber failures so far!

A little welcoming rain began to fall before Eldoret, but it wasn’t appreciated by Ericsson. His windscreen wipers wouldn’t work! Duncan, having a complete strut change before the Eldoret stop, was delayed when one replacement was stubborn and refused to fit into place. As a result, he lost eight minutes. Among those who failed to arrive at Eldoret was Manfred Stohl whose engine had blown.

The 2 am Tuesday start took place in a little rain, but it was in dust that Kankkunen rolled between the Marich Pass and Loruk, just above Baringo. He dented the roof, broke his windscreen, but landed on his wheels and lost very little time. Later, the roof was pushed out, the frame reshaped and a new screen fitted.

Sainz’s turbocharger became troublesome, but it was decided not to change it until nearer Maralal, where more time was available. Njiru had both front and rear halfshafts changed, whilst Eklund lost 10 minutes in the Cherangani Hills due to an ignition failure. Rautenbach broke his remaining windows when he rolled before Baringo after hitting a log. The car landed on its side and five minutes were lost.

Yet another Lancia rear shock absorber change took place after the Marich Pass, where Kankkunen also collected a puncture and a broken halfshaft. Sainz had his turbocharger replaced at Suguta Marmar, whilst Duncan had a new steering rack after power assistance failure. This cost his some time, even more when the replacement proved faulty.

Sainz changed two struts near Kirimun, the cattle holding station to the east of Maralal, and Recalde was helped by a helicopter crew after a puncture. Meanwhile, Alen needed a new turbocharger. It was certainly a rally of constant replacements. and if anyone says that modern rally cars are reliable after this demonstration, they really can’t be serious. Duncan, after suffering brake failure, lost more time having his master cylinder changed near Colcheccio, and he later lost even more when a strut punched its way through the bonnet.

After passing through a thunderstorm at Barsalinga. cars got down to the tarmac road in the wheat growing area of Timau. It was here that Moya, after waiting about a minute and a half for his time card to be returned, got out of the car and demanded it. They roared off after being given it, but he then had to run back to the control after discovering that it had not been stamped or signed.

Meanwhile, Recalde had only two-wheeldrive for some 60 miles after experiencing first front halfshaft failure and then rear. But his progress was being constantly monitored by the Toyota people, and from this point onwards one of the team’s helicopters was diverted to follow Recalde so that reports of his progress could be relayed immediately to Sainz. This was not exactly to Alen’s liking, who was then left without an attendant helicopter, and whenever he heard that Ericsson had arrived at a service point he immediately got on the radio to ask that his (Ericsson’s) helicopter be despatched to overfly him.

It was about this time that the special refuelling pumps being carried by Lancia’s helicopter fuel trucks failed, and jury rigs had to be set up when replacements were found not to be available.

Eklund passed Njiru when the latter had a puncture, only to be repassed by the African driver when his (Eklund’s) turbocharger failed, and Rai’s engine stopped when its throttle sensor failed.

At the Aberdare Country Club, much preventive work was being carried out on all cars, but there was so much work to be done to Sainz’s that a scheduled gearbox change had to be held over. Early the next morning, with Sainz all of 28 minutes ahead of Recalde, and Kankkunen another 26 minutes behind, 21 cars left the Club from 5 am onwards for the final leg to Nairobi, through the complex network of tracks in the hills and valleys east of the Aberdare Range. The leader played it carefully, more concerned about preserving his car than losing the odd minute to his rival. Even when he had to stop when a matatu (pick-up truck converted into a bush taxi) ahead began to dust him badly, he wasn’t unduly worried and remained cool. But just 5 km before the end of the last competitive section he reported a noisy gearbox and what he considered was approaching failure.

Immediately, mechanics after that section began preparing a new gearbox, and when Sainz arrived they set about changing it. The job was unhurried, with no panic. for there was ample time, and the scene was one of jubilation as crew and some mechanics danced and threw hats and T-shirts to the crowd.

Meanwhile, Alen had rolled on the first competitive section out of the Aberdare Club, but soon continued.

The final drama of the event came when Recalde stopped outside the outer marker of the Nairobi holding control on the outskirts of the city. He waited beyond his due time and was unconcerned when someone went to tell him that he was overdue. Team orders had again been brought into play, and Recalde had agreed to wait so that Kankkunen would finish second in his place, thus gaining more points in the World Championship for Drivers.

Despite what we have said about a softened Safari, the event remains a giant among rallies, and as long as breath remains in their bodies there will always be enthusiasts to run it and to take part in it. What It needs is an injection of finance from a sponsor prepared to put up more than the present figure.

If only the cost of sending, accommodating, wining and dining FISA officials could be reduced, and filming rights not unjustly hogged by the London-based body which claims such rights with FISA’s blessing, the situation could be improved. If anyone has a claim to filming dues for any rally, it is the organisation of that rally. not some outside body which seems to have sprung out of FISA from nowhere.

The Safari is a superb event in spite of the long rest periods which have been introduced, but it has been Europeanised quite enough. Any more meddling from outside should be resisted.

Hands off the Safari!

Martini Safari Rally (Kenya) – 27 March – 1 April, 1992

1. Carlos Sainz/Luis Moya – Toyota Celica Turbo 4wd, Gp A
2. Juha Kankkunen/Juha Pironen – Lancia Delta HF Integrale, Gp A
3. Jorge Recalde/Martin Christie – Lancia Delta HF Integrale, Gp A
4. Mikael Ericsson/Nicky Grist – Toyota Celica Turbo 4wd, Gp A
5. MNarkku Alen/Ilkka Kivimaki – Toyota Celica Turbo 4wd, Gp A