At Taggs Island in the Thames on October 16th, A.C. Cars Ltd. entertained the Press at the Casino built in 1913 by Fred Karno, for the purpose of introducing their new economy car.
In his speech of welcome, Mr. Hurlock said the workers had been offered a prize for the best name for the new vehicle and “Petite” had been chosen—he did not tell us what other names the workers thought of.
The A.C. Petite, based on the invalid carriage chassis, has a rubber-mounted power unit at the rear, consisting of a 346-c.c., Type 27B, single-cylinder, fan-cooled Villiers two-stroke engine, driving by triple V-belts to a three-speed and reverse Burman gearbox, with final chain-drive to a differential unit on the chassis, from whence universally-jointed shafts convey the drive to wheels independently sprung on coil springs. All controls are of car-type, via Bowden cables, the gear-lever is on the steering column, and the brakes work on the back wheels in 7-in. drums.
Electric starting, dynamo lighting, double-dip headlamps, separate sidelamps, etc., are fitted and the body is a two-seater coupe with simple hood. The wheelbase is 6 ft., rear track 3 ft. 6 in., the back tyres being 18 in.–3.25 in., the single front tyre 8 in.-4 in. The little car has been extensively tested. Its price is £255, or £398 10s. with p.t. It is claimed to cruise at 30 m.p.h., giving a fuel consumption of 60-70 m.p.g.
A.C. commenced by making the single-cylinder three-wheeler Auto-Carrier and now the full circle has been completed.—W. B.