V to C Miscellany

The article in the September issue about Ulster A7s aroused much interest and J. P. Ashenden of Romsey who owned car Reg. No. G06302, referred to specifically in the article, from 1932 to 1934, would like to know whether it still exists and whether it would be possible to track it down.

***

Julian Collins of the Malaysia and Singapore Vintage Car Register would be grateful to anyone who can supply reminisences of pre-war motoring in those countries, for inclusion in the Club magazine.

***

A reader in New Zealand needs parts for his Gordon Keeble, such as bonnet, badges, etc, and would be glad to hear of sources of supply and he would also like to contact English owners of these cars.

***

Another reader, living in Sheffield, is seeking information about a special Sheffield-Simplex chassis built in 1913 for the then-new Managing Director of this company, Warwick Wright, who had come there from Metallurgique, before he moved on again to Talbot's. It seems that this chassis was a 25 hp Type LA7, with its components finished to a high standard and the engine tuned in respect of lightweight pistons, opened-out ports, etc. Apparently the work was put in hand by the factory as "special and urgent". The other MD at Sheffield-Simplex was, of course, Percy Richardson, late of Daimler's and Brotherhood. Information on these gentlemen is also sought, the last reference to Mr. Richardson being a patent of his for mechanically-dipped lamps, from his home in Bexhill-on-Sea.

***

Another correspondent wants to try to trace a 1903 De Dion Bouton, which he knew in 1940 when it was in Market Rasen but has apparently escaped the VCC's records; the last known owner is believed to have been a Mr. G. B. Nash. Letters can be forwarded.

***

The issue of Jowetter  official organ of the Jowett CC, for last July, contained an article by the late Victoria King-Farlow, who as Miss Victoria Worsley used to race a sports Jowett at Brooklands before the war and who was a Vice-President of the Club.

***

 A Rolls-Royce farm-truck or as they call them in Australia a ute, is in the news in Victoria, NSW, because no-one knows when this 1926 Twenty was so converted. But converted it was and it is still in use by 76-year-old Arthur Johnson for collecting his firewood and shopping, having purchased it in 1965 for £500, according to the Sun-Herald.

***

At the third and final auction-sale of vehicles formerly in the Harrah Collection in America two interesting cars were one of the 1907 35 hp Vanderbilt-type Renaults like that owned in this country by David Harrison, and what was described as a 1904 13-litre Gordon-Bennett 100 hp Napier racing-car ex Col. Mark Mayhew, owned in recent years by George H. Waterman, which made 260,000-dollars. We understand that Harrah's has a new museum in which some 300 cars will be exhibited, including the 1903 ex-Blake Gordon-Bennett Napier.

***

W. J. Netherwood of Huddersfield has kindly drawn our attention to the "Arran Bus Book" by Mitchell-Luker, in which there is a chapter devoted to trying to trace the history of some Rolls-Royce charabancs used in that area before the war, as reported some time back in Motor Sport. At first the author disbelieved rumours that Rolls-Royce chassis had been used, but eventually it transpired that more than three had been so converted, two of which came to Arran from Rankin Brothers, who had operated them at Partick until about 1924, the others being disposed of elsewhere. McNiell used the two Arran R-R coaches until at least 1930 and they are illustrated in the book, one bearing the London Reg No A229, this one photographed at Whiting Bay circa 1931. A Rolls-Royce single decker 'bus was said to be stored in Edinburgh in 1980. No doubt the R-REC and Sir Henry Royce Foundation historians will wish to investigate further. The book is available for £3.95 from Killsrannan Publishing Ltd., Brodick, Isle of Arran.

***

The Brooklands Society, in conjunction with Gallaher, is holding a meeting at the Track on October 26th, for ex-Brooklands cars, at which runs up the Test Hill and round the available part of the Track will be held and the restored Paddock Clubhouse inspected. Entries have closed; details from F. Morris, 43 Fortesque Road, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 8XG.

***

The contents of the always-interesting Journal of the Morris Register for the Autumn includes a colour display on Morris radiator badges through the ages, a biography of a one-family 1935 Morris Eight which has been restored, a report of the storming for charity of Hard Knott and Wrynose passes by a number of Morrises, editor Harry Edwards writing on motoring philatelic matters, and a report of the 1986 Toowoomba Rally, etc.

***

From the VCC's journal Veteran Car we learn of restoration in hand to a 1902 10 hp Georges Richard Brasier, a 1907 15 hp Model-N Ford, a 1914 10 hp Chater Lea, a 1906 30/35 hp Stoddard-Dayton and a 1907 40/50 hp Rolls-Royce, the last two in America.

***

A Ford V8 with "woodie" shooting-brake body has been found, in quite good condition, abandoned in a country barn. The Reg No is EXY 3 and under the present paintwork it can be seen that the original finish was blue, supporting the supposition that the the first owner was Sir Malcolm Campbell. Can anyone confirm this? — W. B.