The Reims circuit’s grandstands and control tower have finally been restored after nearly 40 years of abandonment. Between its opening in 1926 and its closure in 1970 the famous circuit hosted, among other events, 15 grands prix and the well-known Reims 12 Hours sports car race. The circuit was made famous by the exciting slipstream racing it produced and was at its most popular in the 1930s, when it attracted up to 150,000 spectators.
In September the circuit held its first race meeting since its closure, including demonstrations by Jean Alesi in the Mercedes-Benz W196 streamliner with which Fangio won the 1954 French GP there. The recent meeting used the short version of the track, with cars cutting down the D26 towards the Garenne de Gueux, omitting the Muizon corner.