WITH reference to the above car which featured in our series on Historic Grand P. Cars in the August issue of MOTOR SPORT, two readers of long-standing have written to put the record correct. David L. Ghandi, of Stockport, points out that the first appearance of 3012 was at Shelsley Walsh in June 1934 and therefore Whitney Straight must have used his wide-chassis car No. 3011 to win the International Trophy.
A. • F. Rivers-Fletcher, of Kineton, substantiates this and adds that Straight said he much preferred the narrow-chassis car, 3012, and ran it in some races with pieces added to the body to bring it out to regulation width. However, the fuel tank was not as large anon the wide-chassis car and using 3012 in a Grand Prix was marginal. Rivers-Fletcher also sends a photograph of the wide-chassis car 3011 after Whitney Straight had it made into a very civilised sports car with body by Corsica, as far as we know, though there has never been confirmation of this. This car must not be confused with 3013, which was the Lord Howe car, and which was made into a road car by Brian Finglass after the war for Gavin Maxwell, and which David Black has now resurrected back to 8CM single-seater form. Rivers-Fletcher thinks that the Whitney Straight sports car! single-seater went to Italy and is thought to still exist, but back in single-seater form.
While the article on 3012 was being printed, saying that it resided in the Doune museum in Scotland, an advertisement arrived from a motor deader saying she car was for sale. This was indeed true, as without much warning the Earl of Moray decided to part with some of the cars in his collection which did not have a personal connection, and 3012 was one of them. — D.S. J.