● The 258mph, 1914bhp Rimac Nevera EV left its native Croatia for the first time in early July for a quiet spin around London’s shops and sights. It was here courtesy of HR Owen – the sole official UK retailer of the £2m car. With its 1.4MW lithium-manganese-nickel batteries, it was, of course, exempt from the capital’s £15 Congestion and £12.50 ULEZ zone charges.
● A ‘lost’ 2003 Jaguar X-type SCV8, above, created for the failed Supercar V8 championship has been found alive and well and living with Andy Rouse. The former BTCC star’s firm Rouse Hall built the one-off X-type for the proposed BTCC rival series. Since then, the car has been stored. It’s on sale (offered with a Lotus V8) with CNC AWS in the Cotswolds from £30,000.
● The largest ever survey of historic car fans (55,000) by the Fédération Internatrionale des Véhicules Anciens (FIVA) reveals a significant contribution to local and national economies. The average devotee spends £4162 a year on their car or visiting events, which equates to £8.6bn a year based on the outlay of more than two million FIVA enthusiasts in 71 countries.
● Do you go weak at the knees with ‘Holy Grail’ cars? Then you’d better sit down. The single factory Bugatti EB 110 GT Prototype is on sale at Massachusetts dealer Copley Motorcars, with a meagre 680 miles on the clock. It’s yours for £1.5m.
● Attention Leeds United footballers… Construction is underway on JCT600’s new two-storey Ferrari dealership and service centre at The Boulevard, just a goalie’s throw from Leeds’ Elland Road ground. It is due to open in early 2022.
Lunch with... John Force
As motor sport at all levels becomes ever more complex, you could argue (somewhat controversially, I grant you) that the purest form of pitting car against car, driver against driver,…
Cars in books, September 1960
Nothing much has been encountered in this direction lately, apart from a chapter on "I buy a Velocette" in Anne Treater's unimportant book "A Stranger in the Midlands," which contains…
Long ago I was asked to write an auction description of a pretty important competition car. The breathless owner was full of it, particularly since he had, at great expense,…