No F1 racing until June at the earliest, as 2020 Monaco Grand Prix is cancelled

F1

Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grand Prix postponed, leaving the Azerbaijan Grand Prix as the first race of the season in June

2018 Monaco Grand Prix Kimi Raikkonen in Casino Square

2020 Monaco GP postponed in latest coronavirus disruption

DPPI

Formula 1 has abandoned plans to resume racing in May, postponing the Dutch and Spanish Grands Prix while the Monaco Grand Prix has been cancelled.

It will be the first time since 1954 that the street circuit has not been present on the Formula 1 calendar.

It currently leaves the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, in Baku, as the first race of the season on June 7, but the series’ promoters are no longer indicating when they think that the racing will resume, as the spread of coronavirus continues.

A statement from Formula 1 said that they expect to begin the season “as soon as it’s safe to do so after May”.

It said: “Due to the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, Formula 1, the FIA and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.

“Formula 1 and the FIA continue to work closely with affected promoters and local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

Related article

“Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the 2020 Championship season as soon as it’s safe to do so after May and will continue to regularly monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation.”

While Formula 1’s statement made the initial announcement that all three races were postponed, a subsequent release by the principality confirmed that the Monaco Grand Prix would not be rescheduled this year, citing time constraints in preparing the public roads for the race.

“The current situation concerning the worldwide pandemic and its unknown path of evolution, the lack of understanding as to the impact on the FIA F1 World Championship 2020, the uncertainty with regards to the participation of the teams, the consequences with regards to the differing measures of confinement as taken by various governments worldwide, the multi-border restrictions for accessing the Principality of Monaco, the pressure on all implicated businesses, their dedicated staff who are unable to undertake the necessary  installations, the availability of the indispensable workforce and volunteers (more than 1500) required for the success of the event means that the situation is no longer tenable,” the statement from the Automobile Club de Monaco said.

“As a result, and after careful consideration as to the gravity of this crisis worldwide, it is with great sadness that the AUTOMOBILE CLUB DE MONACO Board of Directors has taken the decision to cancel the 12th GRAND PRIX DE MONACO HISTORIQUE (8-10 May 2020) and the 78th GRAND PRIX DE MONACO FORMULA 1, FIA World Championship (21-24 May 2020).

“To all the fans, spectators, partners and our members, the Board of Directors wishes to express its sincere regrets that these two events cannot be postponed and under no circumstances, will it be possible to organize these events later this year.”

Earlier this week, the summer shutdown was moved from August to March and April, freeing up more weekends to reschedule races in what could be a packed end-of-year calendar.

You may also like