From historical background to state of the art techniques, and with chapters covering airdams, splitters, spoilers, wings, underbodies and myriad miscellaneous devices, Competition Car Aerodynamics 3rd Edition also features in-depth case studies from across the motorsport spectrum to help develop a comprehensive understanding of the subject.
The field of aerodynamics has had an increasingly significant effect on performance enhancement over the past 50 years. Competition Car Aerodynamics 3rd Edition continues the practical, hands-on approach of its popular predecessors to cover all aspects of motorsport aerodynamics and features yet more CFD and wind tunnel project material and case studies.
Aerodynamic theory is tackled in a comprehensive yet comprehensible way by author Simon McBeath, who has been granted unprecedented access to state of the art computational fluid dynamics (CFD) techniques, as well as regular access to the MIRA full-scale wind tunnel in the UK. Photographs, graphs, CFD-generated images and wind tunnel data – much of which has appeared in the successful Aerobytes series in Racecar Engineering – are used to explain with unrivalled clarity how aerodynamic performance benefits are obtained in practice. With case studies from Formula 1, sports prototypes, Formula 3, GT and saloon cars, club single-seaters and karts, this book will appeal to anyone, whether a designer, competitor, student or armchair enthusiast, wishing to gain an understanding of aerodynamics and how it can benefit the performance of all types of competition cars.
- Comprehensive yet comprehensible, and extensively illustrated
- Unique use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and wind tunnel resources
- Down to earth explanations of how aerodynamic performance benefits are obtained
- Tackles relevant theory with an easy-to-read style
- Examines all the key motorsport aerodynamic devices one by one
- Emphasises how an integrated, balanced aerodynamic package is key to performance
- Incorporates fascinating case studies, from Formula 1 to club racers
- 3rd edition includes new CFD and wind tunnel examples
- Features many projects from Racecar Engineering’s successful Aerobytes series
- Recommended reading for designers, competitors, students and armchair enthusiasts!