ln October 1897 the Hon Evelyn Ellis ascended Worcester Beacon in the Malverns on his Daimler, specially equipped with three sets of brakes and low gear ratios. To commemorate this, Mike Tebbett, a master at St James’ and Abbey School for Girls, recently assembled the Daimler, the 1895 Santler, and other autocars at the school, where Ellis started from. Then it was the home of his mother, Lady Howard de Walden, but it has been the school’s premises since 1902. Dr Alan Sutton’s Malvern-built Santler led, followed by the Daimler, conserved by the Science Museum. VCC members took lunch in the house, little changed since 1897, and girls from the school dressed in period costume.