Happily, vintage cars are still being discovered — and restored. A 1921 10.4hp Calthorpe which has been off the road since the 1950s, and was given Morris 8 wheels when beaded-edge tyres became difficult to obtain, is now back on its original wheels and axles.
Its final-drive pinion is missing, and a spare or a pattern is being sought by Mark Dixon, The Old Fire Station, Icknield Street, Bidford-on-Avon B50 4BX. Mark also hopes to revive the Calthorpe Register, if owners will contact him.
He has repatriated a 1924 Rover 8 four-seater from East Germany, too. It was exported to Austria when new, and apart from some surface rust is still sound. A presumably original Chemico puncture-repair outfit was found under the car’s back seat With new plugs and a rebuilt magneto, the car started first swing ofthe handle.