At the recent Melbourne Motor Show, which was Australia’s first post-war International motor exhibition, the exhibits included a 1903 MacIntyre Horseless Buggy, the first all-Australian car in the form of a 1906 Tarrant, and a number of sports and racing cars, ranging from a 1908 18-litre Mercédès to a Q-type M.G. A Standard Estate car was supplied recently to H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester. John Hay has sold his Anzani Frazer-Nash to John Bridcutt, whose father ran the “Alphonso”Hispano-Suiza, and so Hay’s next job is to get his Sunbeam “Dawn” on the road and prepare his V-twin G.N. Special for sprint events.
It is encouraging to learn that the headmaster of a well-known boys’ school has recently acquired a beautifully-preserved 1935 Alvis “Silver Eagle” four-light saloon, formerly owned by Hovis, Ltd. He craves an instruction book for it. Incidentally, he hopes to fill vacant garage space with an Edwardian and remarks that his Motor Sport comes back definitely ” vintage” after having been handled and discussed by many young enthusiasts!
Betty Haig points out that she is not the secretary of the West Sussex Drivers, and that as she is often abroad, correspondence for this club should be addressed to W. F. E. Scutt, 87, Guildford Road, Horsham. This organisation, of which Miss Haig is chairman (vide the notepaper heading!) caters for new drivers, but also numbers many experienced ones amongst the membership. E. M. Main seeks information on his 1937 if Riley “Falcon” saloon, particularly an instruction book and wiring diagram. He writes from: c/o B.A.P.C.O., Box No. 473, Awali, Bahrein Island, Persian Gulf, and sends welcome news of the local motor club, which we publish elsewhere. George Monkhouse is busy on a new motor-racing book. H. W. Curtis is running a 1924 A.C. Anzani two-seater in the Liverpool area.
A reader, whose “Light Fifteen” Citroën recently covered 151.6 miles up A5 in 3 hr. 11 1/2 min., using fuel at the rate of 22 1/2 m.p.g., tells us that a member of the staff of the Staffordshire Evening Standard has made a very excellent job indeed of reconditioning a 1933 Wolseley Hornet “Swallow” two-seater.
J. K. Blarney’s father not only remembers the Bedelia cycle-car, but used to own one. English roads still carry much that is of interest. Travelling from Hampshire to Oxfordshire the other evening in a Type 40 Bugatti, to retrieve a stricken Riley Nine, we encountered, first an aged Rover Ten saloon, circa 1927, then a vast modern Buick on American registration plates, next S. J. Skinner’s 1908 Wolseley-Siddeley Roi des Belges returning majestically to Basingstoke from the V.C.C. Northern Rally and, finally, an open 2-litre Ballot sports parked by the river at Pangbourne. Incidentally, we took that charming road from Abington through Frilford, Kingston Bagpuze, thatched Standlake and Ducklington to Witney, and returned along it in the moonlight, a tonic that did much to offset the effect of depressing headlines in the morrow’s newspapers. Austin Seven “Chuminies” are, it seems, beginning to pass from the hands of essential-travellers to those of penniless enthusiasts. We have encountered many of late and two magneto-ignition examples were sold recently for less than £30, another for under £20.
Apart from their well-known “Oilcoil,” Runbaken Electrical Products, of Manchester, can now supply genuine, guaranteed platinum-iridium ignition contact-points for most makes of cars. Prices range from 45s. to 90s. a set and details are available on application to the makers. The Sheffield and Hallamshire M.C. issues a breezy duplicated monthly news-sheet known as the “S and H. Gazette.” The Club elected a dozen new members in May. Details of its forthcoming events from J. D. Foster, 7, Evelyn Road, Sheffield, 10. Holland has her weekly Motor and monthly Auto Sport, the latter, for May, featuring such cars as 16-valve Maserati, 2-litre Ferrari, Veritas, Ford V8-engined Lancia “Lambdas,” O.S.C.A., sports Simca, Maybach, and a vintage “9-15” Renault.
Out in New Zealand, F. W. Mills has a 1929 Alvis “Silver Eagle” which he intends to use for competition work. This car started life as a 10-foot wheelbase Cross & Ellis four-seater, but has been shortened to 8 feet 6 inches, which has apparently cut out bad understeer and improved the handling.
Those veering vintagewards couldn’t have failed to spot the white two-seater 11.9-h.p. Bean, on its original high-pressure tyres, in the car park at Shelsley Walsh, flanked by a rather rusty Bean van. Nor could they have failed to be inspired by the sight of a mid-engined Trojan tourer which, after it had been energised in approved manner with the formidable cockpit handle, motored briskly away from the exceedingly pleasant, not to say exciting, Club Prescott Meeting.
Stafford East has his 1919 G.N. taxed. Maidenhead has in service a 21-h.p. six-cylinder Delaunay-Belleville taxi of circa 1928 vintage. Encountered on the run home on that perfect June evening after the B.O.C. Silverstone meeting, a vast, chaffeur-driven Isotta-Fraschini coupe-de-ville at Marlow, where a regatta was in progress, a vintage s.v. Coventry-Eagle combination, a 1934 F.I.A.T. “Balilla” saloon and modern Austin A70, Lea-Francis and Lloyd cars.
The Allard Motor Co., Ltd., is about to produce new models with Mercury engine, light-alloy tubular body frame and de Dion rear axle, based largely on the car used by Sidney Allard when he broke the Prescott sports-car record. A reader asks if anyone would like his cast-off weekly and monthly motor magazines and club journals? Stamped letters will be forwarded. On June 20th, at Hartley Whitney, Mrs. Boddy presented the Editor with his third daughter.
The Story of Brooklands
So great has been the demand for Volume I of W. Boddy’s book that it is temporarily out of print. A second impression will be ready in two or three months’ time. Meanwhile, a limited supply of Volumne II is still obtainable from the publishers: The Grenville Publishing Co., Ltd., 15/17, City Road, London, E.C.I.
N. L. E C C.
George Bance, Secretary of that well-supported metropolitan club, the North London Enthusiasts’, sends the following account of the talk on “Vauxhall Motors and the Birth of the Sports Car” given by Laurence Pomeroy, M.S.A.E., at St. Ermin’s Hall on May 26th.
“Mr. Pomeroy dealt with the years 1908 up to the time when General Motors took over in 1926, and in particular the period 1908-14, at the end of which, he pointed out, the form of the motor car was becoming very much like that which we have known in later years, whereas in 1908, it was still looking like an early development of the automobile.
“The history of the “30/98,” the 3-litre and the “Prince Henry” models was traced, and mention also made of the H-type, a car produced for sports and touring uses, having certain very interesting features, such as o.h. camshaft, “bunch-of-bananas” exhaust manifold, fabric joint in the steering column, and front springs passing through the axle; the L-type, a 3-litre V12 side-valve type, the intention here being to utilise the small machine tools which the company had accumulated during the 1914-18 War, the car being fabricated largely from parts made with them, but as it produced only 45 h.p., it was not an outstanding example of the marque; the “23/60,” which was the successor to the side-valve 95 by 140 touring car, having an o.h.v. engine and 10 ft. 6 in. wheelbase; and the “14/40,” produced at the instigation of C. E. King, with an engine designed by Ricardo, with much aluminium about it, the capacity being 2 litres. It was not very fast, but pleasant to drive, and was in production until General Motors took over. Mr. Pomeroy ended his lecture by pleading for a British sports car, capable of around 120 m.p.h., to cost about £350, which plea seemed to meet with the approval of all present.”
Hon. Sec.: G. Bance, 7, Queen’s Avenue, Muswell Hill, N.10 (Tel.: Tudor 2518)
Bristol M.C. & L.C.C.
A Rally and Trial for veteran and Edwardian cars will be held on July 16th, under rules virtually standardised by the V.C.C. Entries have closed. After the rally, there will be a trial embracing observed hills, the veterans covering 36 miles and the Edwardians 56 miles. Entrants will be divided into three classes — two-speed, pre-1905 veterans, pre-1905 veterans having more than two speeds, and pre-1917 Edwardians. Apart from the usual class awards there is a prize for the oldest car to rally and another for the best performance by a single-cylinder car. Those wishing to spectate will find the cars rallying at Welsh and Co.’s premises, Redcliffe Street, Bristol, up to 12 noon and commencing the trial at 2.30 p.m. Details from Mrs. J. Hammond, 19, Picton Street, Bristol, 6.
The Vintage S.C.C. race meeting at Silverstone on July 2nd, admission open only to members and friends, promises to be “quite something”; apart from the fun of competing there is the keen anticipation of what Sam Clutton is going to say about one afterwards in the outspoken Club “Bulletin”! Events will open at 12 noon with a One Hour High-Speed Trial, in the best M.C.C. or J.C.C. tradition, competitors being required to maintain a minimum set average speed to qualify for an award. Two compulsory pit stops will be included — a trifle “circus” perhaps, but possibly considered essential to even up results and enable cars to be checked over. The set speeds are: 1,100 c.c., 47.84 m.p.h.; 1,101-2,000 c.c., 49.49 m.p.h.; 2,001 — 3,000 c.c., 50.97 m.p.h., and over 3,000 c.c., 56.95 m.p.h. The races comprise four four-lap, 9.2 mile scratch events, for non-supercharged sports cars, vintage racing and supercharged sports cars, racing cars and non-supercharged vintage sports cars, respectively, four four-lap handicaps, for pre-1915, pre-1931 Frazer-Nash, and non-vintage cars, respectively, and an eight-lap, 18.2 mile scratch race for vintage racing cars for the 1908 G.P. Itala Trophy. Secretary: T. W. Carson, 78, Park Lane, Kempshott, Basingstoke, Hants.
For the benefit of new readers it should be explained that the 750 Club is not a night haunt, but a club for owners of cars not exceeding 750 c.c. engine capacity, principally the popular Austin Seven. The Club holds events in which such cars can participate without meeting unfair opposition from larger vehicles and it issues a duplicated “Bulletin ” which is an excellent medium for acquiring, or disposing of, Austin Seven spares.
Meetings are held at the “Red Cow,” Hammersmith, at 8 p.m. every first Wednesday in the month, and at the next Jim Appleton will talk on the Monte Carlo Rally (what has this to do with Austin Sevens?), while it is hoped that at the August gathering Charles Goodacre will describe the Austin A90 records. The next competition event will be driving tests in conjunction with the F.I.A.T. 500 Club, commencing at 2 p.m. at Redhill Aerodrome on July 17th. The current “Bulletin” contains an interesting article by J. Bowles on his well-known “Ulster” Austin. Whether you have a sports or a standard Austin Seven, you should join the 750 Club. Before the present 500-c.c. racing became established it was suggested in Motor Sport that events for non-supercharged 750 c.c. cars would constitute the least-expensive form of motor racing. Some clubs, apart from the 750 Club, honour this ideal by including classes for 750-c.c. cars at their events — there was a race for non-supercharged 750-c.c. racing cars at the Maidstone and Mid-Kent M.C. Silverstone meeting and the V.S.C.C. is offering a prize for 750-c.c. sports cars at its meeting at the same venue, given sufficient entries. It will be a great pity if separate classes for 750-c.c. cars become defunct because of lack of support, and it behoves impecunious enthusiasts in general and the 750 Club in particular, to do all in their power to foster interest in participation in these events. Details of the Club are obtainable from: A. W. Butler, 1, Hawkhurst Way, West Wickham, Kent.
The B.A.R.C. Sports-Car Races
On learning that the B.A.R.C. did not intend to hold races at Goodwood this year for its sports-car-owning members, Motor Sport, took up the matter and, in March and May, published leading articles on the subject.
After the cancellation of the Whit-Monday racing at Goodwood Motor Sport pressed strongly for a Members’ Meetiong at that venue devoted to races for sports-type cars. Mr. John Morgan has since announced that a Members’ Meeting will be held by the B.A.R.C. on Saturday, August 13th, practising and scrutineering being undertaken in the morning, and the afternoon being devoted to a series of short races for sports-cars only. Furthermore, sports-car-owning members of the B.A.R.C. are invited to meet the Club Events Committee for an informal discussion on Friday, July 8th, at 6.30 p.m.
Now that a Members’ Meeting has been secured, it behoves those interested to give their fullest possible support to the racing on August 13th, and we hope to hear, in due course, of a large and comprehensive entry. Regulations and entry forms are obtainable from the B.A.R.C., 55, Park Lane, London. W.1 (Tel: Grosvenor 4471-2).
The B.A.R.C. has also arranged for members to use Goodwood free of charge for practising, thereby conforming to another Motor Sport suggestion. The circuit will be available on the first and last Saturday of each calendar month between the hours of 1.30 p.m. and 5.30 p.m., providing that written application is made for the necessary permit at least seven days before the date on which it is desired to practise.
Some Club Magazines
Punctually at the beginning of June arrived the Bentley D.C. Review and the Bugatti O.C. Bugantics, both beautifully produced and the latter vastly improved under Peter Hampton’s editorship. Incidentally, the Bentley D.C. is really incredible, for its latest Review contains a list of 94 new members and the total membership is now 765! The B.O.C. publishes a list of 13 new members. Another very nicely illustrated and “newsy” journal which arrives regularly on the first of each month is the British Motor Cycle Racing Club’s Bemsee, in which, incidentally, W. Boddy, the Editor of Motor Sport, is unfolding a brief history of B.M.C.R.C. racing year-by-year: We have also received the very lavish 1949 Handbook of the Ulster A.C., which, like its predecessors, contains a wealth of useful data about Irish races and club activities. A new club magazine is Top Gear, the very professional quarterly journal of the Scottish Sporting Car Club, which is published by Scottish Features, Ltd., 19, Forth Street, Edinburgh, and is beautifully illustrated; the July issue will feature the Bo’ness Hill-Climb. Alas, the Motor Club appears to have ceased publication. The Veteran C.C. Gazette appears quarterly, under a new editor, D. C. Field. The B.A.R.C. magazine — still called the
For those who like to receive all the club journals we append the names and addresses of the secretaries of some of the clubs concerned, who may be able to assist.
B.D.C.: Lt.-Col. Berthon, “Madges,” Long Crendon, Aylesbury, Bucks.
B.O.C.: Major Dixon-Spain, Prescott House, near Cheltenham, Glos.
B.M.C.R.C.: C. A. Lewis, 55, South Street, Epsom, Surrey.
Ulster A.C.: C. G. Neill, Saxone House, 13, Donegall Place, Belfast.
S.S.C.C.: W. L. B. Callender, 100 W. Regent Street, Glasgow, C.2.
A Club in the Persian Gulf
Some months ago we made reference to a club that was being formed in the Persian Gulf. We have now received the following news of this Club, which should encourage other British enthusiasts in far-distant parts of the world.
“To date the club is going very well, but in vintage cars we have only one example’ John Wood’s venerable 1921 ’30-98′ Vauxhall. John trundles to and from the refinery regularly in it and it is a cause of some astonishment to a lot of the Americans here that anyone would like to travel in such a vintage car, also that this car can show the way home to a lot of the modern cars. Our gathering of cars now includes a 1937 Morgan “4,4,” 1937 Riley, three or four Standard Vanguards, three 1946 Standard Fourteens, about half-a-dozen Austin A.40, one Austin A.70, one 1937 Ford V8, and unfortunately we have, lying decrepit, a 1937 Singer “Le Mans,” and an unknown-year D.K.W. Predominant here, of course, is the American car and there are some very good examples or 1949 Buick, Hudson, etc., being used as taxis.
“I trust this news will be of interest to you coming from a land of exile, but apart from Motor Sport being read from cover to cover, we do our best to follow the Sport on the radio; but the radio doesn’t cater too well, so after the British Grand Prix there were quite a few of us going around trying to find out the winner and how Parnell and Gerard had fared. We all agreed that the radio broadcast, though very well done, was far too short, especially as there was a half-hour broadcast followed by one and a-half solid hours of cricket; our other regret out here is that sea mail is a long-winded affair, for our Motor Sport never arrives earlier than a month after publication.
The Midlands Motoring Enthusiasts’ Club will hold a closed invitation meeting at Silverstone on July 30th, comprising four scratch races for racing cars, four scratch races for sports cars and two handicap races. Entry fee £2 2s. per race. Details from Miss J. Angell, 30, Ivy Road, Sutton Coldfield, Warwicks.
The Vintage Motor Cycle Club’s duplicated Bulletin for last May contained an informative discourse on the rise and fall of the o.h. camshaft engine in vintage machines. New members were listed as owning 1922 Indian, 1928 B.S.A., 1929 Scott and Dunelt and 1930 Ariel machines. Cobbings’ Ner-a-car-Blackburne won the Premier Award in the Hog’s Back Rally by one vote from. C. J. H. Day’s 1914 Triumph. To that rally came Rigby in a 799-c.c. A.J.S. combination that used only 1 1/4 gallons of petrol in transporting three people 95 miles. The A.G.M. will be held at the “Swan,” Bedford, on July 3rd. Gen. Sec.: R. A. Beecroft, 65a, Wembley Park Drive, Wembley, Middlesex.
The June Quiz-picture would, we thought, prove far too easy, but such was not the case. We encountered suggestions that the car whose front-axle assembly was depicted was a “2.5” or “2.9” Maserati, Tim Birkin’s blower 4 1/2-litre Bentley single-seater, 1921 G.P. Duesenberg, and a V12 2-litre Delage before we found the first correct solution. It came from J. P. Perry, of Aldershot (incidentally, on a delightful picture-postcard showing vintage motor-coaches, a massive Lancia amongst them, with an early Hillman Eleven all weather in the background). The car was the 1 1/2–litre straight-eight Grand Prix Delage, which was introduced in 1926 and modified somewhat for the 1927 season, when a team of these cars gained the Championship of the World by their sweeping successes in Grand Prix races. The car depicted is now in America, but Rowley has a similar car in this country today, and the exploits of Earl Howe and Seaman should have stamped the car on everyone’s memory. Clues to its identity were provided by one of the flange-joints of the three-piece front axle, underslung axle mounting, tubular spring mounting, the Perrot brake gear, inboard shock-absorbers and the much-louvred bonnet and undershield. Other correct solutions were submitted by Harold Pratley, of Woodford; H. Thompson, of Porthcawl; G. E. Walker, of Harpenden; R. K. Small, of Nottingham; G. H. Phillips, of Ware; P. M. Rambant, of Carlisle; I. P. J. Vaughan, of Holt; and Vic Barlow, of Elmdon.
MATTERS OF MOMENT, July 1994
MATTERS OF MOMENT The way forward? Hid this year's British Grand Prix has Vtaken place, we won't know how effective the latest modifications to Silverstone will prove to be. From…
THE STORY OF "MEPHISTOPHOLES." How Mr. E.A.D. Eldridge's "Fiat" became Famous.
THE STORY OF " MEPHISTOPHOLES." How Mr. E. A. D. Eldridge's " Fiat " became Famous. By Capt. J. F. DUFF. PROBABLY the records of motor racing reveal no more…
12th Coppa Autodromo Monza
The Formula Three race took place in the morning, run in two heats of 25 laps each, all the survivors from the first heat taking part in the second. Jonathan…