* Teenager Oliver Llewellyn was due to race his father’s Tojeiro Jaguar at the VSCC Spring Start meeting at Silverstone at the end of April. The 16-year-old, son of racer Tim, is thought to be the youngest holder of an international historic race licence. Father and son hope to compete in some two-driver races this season aboard a Chevrolet Corvette.
* Race Retro will be held earlier next year, with the date for the 2011 show moved forward two weeks to run from February 25-27. This year’s show reached a seven-year high in terms of visitor numbers with almost 27,000 people attending the three-day event at Stoneleigh Park, near Coventry.
* The organisers of Tour Britannia have introduced a one-make team prize for the competition category of the classic race and rally tour, which runs in early September. The move comes in response to encouragement from many current entrants. The winners will be the nominated team of three cars with the lowest total score of class positions.
* Former Hillman Imp racer Roger Hurt plans to campaign one of the rare Ginetta G22 Sports 2000 cars this season. The 1977 car was built but never raced after the Ginetta factory spent several years developing the model. By the time it was ready recession had struck and the market for such cars had dried up.
* Jon Minshaw has a fresh Jaguar E-type for use in the GT and Sports Car Cup and Gentleman Drivers series this year. The confessed E-type fanatic (left) recently gave the 1962 car a shakedown race at Silverstone. The car came from the USA and has undergone a complete rebuild at Valley Motorsport.
* Aintree Circuit Club’s ‘55/55’ Sprint and Speed Trials is offering a £100 cash prize for the fastest time set by saloons, racing cars and sports cars. The incentive will hopefully encourage entries to the event on May 16 as the cash is only available if there is a minimum of 30 entries per category. For more information visit www.aintree.org.uk
CIRCUIT DUST By BARRI.; LYNDON. Most of us have a healthy liking for I 'seeing the wheels go round" whether it is merely to see a new horn fitted to…
A PARACHUTE SCHOOL
A PARACHUTE SCHOOL. APARACHUTE school has been opened at Reading Aerodrome, and a number of pupils from the Phillips & Powis School of Flying, as well as members of the…
Out of the past, November 1983
These days, when every manufacturer worth his salt lists one, the diesel-engined private car is taken very much for granted. But there had to be a beginning. The examples of…