TALBOTS FOR 1933
TALBOTS FOR 1933
SELF CHANGING GEAR-BOXES, CENTRAL AUTOMATIC CHASSIS LUBRICATION AND LOWER PRICES ARE OUTSTANDING FEATURES OF AN ATTRACTIVE PROGRAMME,
THE Talbot range for 1933 comprises in all five models, and embodies a wide range of fast touring and sports cars. The basic features of design, rigid chassis, six-cylinder engine, and large and powerful brakes are found on all the cars, the variations of price affecting merely the size of engine, the performance and the equipment. Chassis and other maintenance has been cut down to the minimum, and the cars are ideal for the owner-driver. Self-changing gearboxes, central automatic chassis lubrication and lower prices make the programme this year even more attractive than before. The principles of the self-changing box have been explained so frequently that only a brief description of its mechanism is needed here. The ratios are obtained by holding or releasing by means
of band brakes trains of planetary gears, the varying speeds of the different parts making the required reductions. The Wilson gear-box is an advance on previous systems, as for the lower gears several trains of gears are used to affect the reductions, with a consequent reduction in the tooth pressures and greatly enhanced efficiency. The Talbot self-changing accelerating box, which is made entirely at the Barlby Road Works, under the Wilson patent, has several unique features. As in the sliding pinion gearboxes formerly fitted, lubrication is automatic from the engine, and an independent pump maintains the supply, even if the car is coasting with the engine stopped. Another good feature is that the operating pedal always returns to the same position after a change of gear has taken place, so that the operation
has the same ” feel” on each -gear. The indirect gears are practically inaudible ; top is, of course, direct. A resilient coupling is fitted between engine and gearbox to cushion the shock occasioned from a racing change into a lower gear.
Incidentally the normal silent-third sliding pinion gearbox • is still available at no extra charge on all models for those who prefer it. The automatic lubrication which was a feature of the ” 90 ” and the ” 105 ” models has now been extended to the front and rear springs. A pump .situated near the oil filler cap is raised by hand and returned by a spring, forcing warmed oil to the steering points, brake bearings, steering box, springs and even to the fan. Except for screw-down greasers on water pump and distributor, all other moving points either have oil-less bushes or are
fitted with silent blocs, so the maintenance of the cars is confined to filling up with petrol, oil and occasionally water.
The power output of all the engines has been increased, with improved timing gears, camshaft and dynamotor drive, and all engines now have a large sump heavily ribbed to increase the radiating area. Turning now to the various models, the smallest is the “65,” having a sixcylinder engine of 61 and 95 mm. bore and stroke, giving a capacity of 1,666 c.c. and an R.A.C. rating of 13.8. The detachable head carries overhead valves, pushrod operated, clearance adjustment being carried out by moving the knife-edged fulcrum pins up or down. Light pistons with alloy crowns and cast-iron skirts and light connecting rods keep down reciprocating weight, and the four-bearing disc crankshaft is balanced. On cars fitted with the sliding pinion gearbox a light single-plate clutch is used, the thrust race being lubricated from the engine, but in the self-changing box, of course, the brake bands take up the drive in the same way as a clutch, but a resilient coupling is fitted to save the engine from
strain in the event of a sudden change of gear.
The propeller shaft is enclosed in a torque tube, with a centre steady bearing, and the single universal joint at the front end works at high efficiency since it never has to transmit power through a large angle. Spiral bevel final drive is used, and the speedometer is driven off the back axle, ensuring correct readings even when the bevel ratios are changed.
The chassis is a sturdy channel section structure. In section it narrows from the front dumb-irons to a point in front of the engine, then curves out again, the side members remaining parallel for the rest of its length. In section the side members increase in depth as far as the dash, then taper again at the rear, being upswept to clear the back axle. Seven cross members and tie rods brace the structure.
Half elliptic front springs are fitted in front, and semi-cantilever at the rear, with Hartfords. The large and very efficient Talbot brakes are fitted, and the front ones, which are of the self-energising type, are cable operated, a feature formerly only used on the” 105,” but now adopted on all types.
The electrical and dashboard equipment of the ” 65 ” is very complete. A dynamotor operating at the front end of the crankshaft is connected to the engine by a flexible shaft coupling. When the starter switch is operated, the dynamotor turns the engine noiselessly, but when driven by the engine charges the battery like the normal type of dynamo. The large headlamps are controlled from the steering wheel, also the left and right indicators fitted to the rear of the car. Speedometer, clock petrol gauge, ignition and oil pressure lights, apart from the usual amometer switches and so forth provide the driver with all the information he requires.
Two closed bodies are listed, a full saloon and a very smart two or four door coupe, each being priced at £395, the chassis costing £100 less. The ” 65 ” is. capable of a first-class performance in spite of its small engine, and readers who. are interested should read the account which appeared in the April, 1932, number of MOTOR SPoRT.
The chassis of the ” 75 ” and “90,” which are the next models to be dealt with, is very similar to that used for the (Continued on page 38.
“65,” but is of course heavier. The engine dimensions are 69.5 min. bore and 100 mm. stroke, giving a capacity of 2276 c.c. and a treasury rating of 17.9 hi). A seven bearing counterbalanced crankshaft is used, and the ” 90 ” which of course is the sports model, has a higher compression and a higher back axle ratio —4.6 as compared with 5.2 for the ” 75.” The ” 90 ” is lower owing to the smaller tyres fitted.
Self-changing or normal type gearboxes are available on the short ” 75 ” and ” 90,” but only the latter on the long ” 90.” Luvax shock absorbers are fitted as standard.
Radiator shutters working on stainless steel pins are now fitted to the ” 75″ and the ” 90,” and direction arrows have been fitted to the bottom of the radiator shell.
The ” 75″ chassis costs £395, and the coachwork saloon £495. The ” 90 ” is only supplied in chassis form, as sports car owners generally prefer to choose their own bodywork. The price is £425. The largest ‘cars in the range are the ” 95 ” and the ” 105,” fitted with sixcylinder engines with bore and stroke of 75 mm. and 112 mm., the cubic capacity
being 2969 1,vith a tax of £21. The” 105,” needless to say, is the sports car which has had such a successful career on road and track, not to say Alp, during the last two years. The “95 has a wheelbase of 10 feet as against 9 feet 6 inches, and with a lower compression ratio, modified camshaft and lower back axle ratio, should form an ideal fast touring car.
The chassis of the” 95 “and the” 105 ” has been lowered by increasing the upsweep over the rear axle and dropping the straight portion of the front axle to a greater amount below the wheel centres than was the case with the earlier models. This alteration and the fitting. of a lower radiator, now provided with a fan, has resulted in a great improvement of line as compared with the 90’s.” Incidentally, a neat quick-action radiator cap is standardised for 1933. The engine is higher and shorter, and in order to accommodate the valves, these have had to be placed diagonally opposite one another in the cylinder heads. The push rods are arranged parallel to the centre line of the engine, so that in order to operate the valves, the exhaust rockers have to be longer than the inlet. An
independent ball-ended fulcrum for each rocker fits into a cup in their upper surfaces, adjustment being made by slacking off the lock-nut and screwing the fulcrum pin up or down. A roller is fitted to the end of the rocker which bears on the valve head, and the exhaust rockers are reenforced by a skeleton rib on their undersides.
The down-draught Zenith carburettor is fed by petrol pump from the 19-gallon rear tank, and oily vapour from the valve cover is drawn in through a passage in the side.
Ltivax shock-absorbers, adjustable from a quadrant on the steering column through a system of rods are fitted as standard, and a pair of the ordinary friction type is also fitted to each axle. The self-changing gearbox is again an alternative to the ordinary type. The chassis price of the ” 95 ” is fixed at £475, a five-seater saloon is quoted at £595, the de luxe version costing £80 more. As in the case of the “90,” the “
105″ is only listed in chassis form, and costs £525. The best known open 4seater is the Coupe des Alp& model, built by Messrs. Vanden Plas, and costs £695.