The June issue of Antique Automobile carried a comprehensive account by Leslie R. Henry of the various detail changes made in the model-T Ford from its appearance in 1908 to its demise in 1927. And the July issue of the Bulb Horn carried a complete history of America’s early Glidden Tours, copiously illustrated, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the A.A.A. A. Carson Simpson has delivered “Sherlock Holmes’ Case of the Austin Grand Prix Racers,” as published in Motor Sport during 1949, to a meeting of the Sons of the Copper Beeches of Philadelphia, of which he is an enthusiastic member. A four-cylinder water-cooled Castle Three three-wheeler exists in a fine state of preservation in Hampshire and another 14/40 Delage sports model has turned up in Sussex.
George Monkhouse of Kodak Ltd. was a welcome visitor to the last Goodwood Meeting; he still runs his 4½-litre (vintage) open Bentley. T. W. Dargue drove his own TD M.G. Special at the Peterborough M.C. Silverstone Meeting, not the Jacobs car, and another correction is that Hawthorn beat the B.R.M. lap time at Turnberry in McAlpine’s Connaught, not in his Cooper-Bristol. A rebuilt 1912 G.W.K. 2-seater was for sale in Surrey for £250.
Robert Baird is selling a number of interesting cars from his racing stable. These comprise the 2- and 2.7-litre Ferraris, his Griffin-Maserati and the 2-litre Alta. Kensington seems the haunt of many vintage models, an early Rolls-Royce saloon and an 11.4 Citroen tourer being seen near the Albert Hall recently. A 1920 9.5 Standard has been discovered in a shed at Hitchin, where it had stood since 1937. Curiously, a Standard agent in the same town has a 1914 example in his showroom. The joint owners of the 1920 car urgently seek a handbook.
A Scott Sociable three-wheeler, albeit with damaged crown-wheel and pinion, awaits a new owner in Scotland, and a Stoneleigh light car has been discovered in Leeds—and so old vehicles continue to be unearthed, suggesting that those whose hobby is locating and restoring aged motor cars are going to have as much fun this winter as ever before. A nicely-kept 11.4 Citroen two-seater was spotted near Bourne recently.
Colborne Garage Ltd. (see page 507) now have the sole concession for Porsche cars in Great Britain, and can sell to American Forces personnel, overseas visitors, diplomats, etc. Charles Meisl will lie responsible for these sales.
The “W.O.” Club
A certain amount of confusion has arisen from the similarity in name between the Bentley Drivers’ Club and the Bentley Owners’ Club, which was formed some while ago to cater primarily for West Country Bentley enthusiasts. The latter club has accordingly changed its name, with the generous approval of Mr. W. O. Bentley himself, to the ” W.O.” Club, which should obviate all confusion as to its identity and allegiance, since ” W.O.” of course means Bentley to all motorists.
R.A.C. recognition has therefore been granted to the club under its new title.
Hornet Special Club’s Midland Rally
The club’s first Midland Rally took place on the disused airfield at Atherstone, near Stratford-upon-Avon, on Sunday, October 5th.
The five tests, all old favourites, included the ” Roundabout,” “Lisbon,” and an obstacle race with a difference.
Following the rally, dinner at the Box-trees Cafe, Hockley Heath, rounded off a successful day’s sport.
Concours d’Elegance: D. R. and D. J. Howdle (joint entry) (1933 Tickford coupe).
Best Test Performance: 1st: D. S. Denny; 2nd: P. and M. Way (joint entry); 3rd: G. Smith.
Longest Distance to Rally: D. S. Denny.
Visitors’ Award: M. Mitchell (Vauxhall).