It is good to learn that E.K.H.K. has returned to a practical interest in veterans, having acquired a 1914 Bebe Peugeot from T. A. S. O. Mathieson. Burnham Motors, Burnham, Bucks, have three veteran cars which they wish to dispose of, preferably collectively. These comprise a 1905 single-cylinder De Dion-engined Cupelle with automatic inlet valve, double coil ignition, cooling by water tank and a queer radiator with semi-gill tubes at its extremities; a 4-cylinder De Dion with 4-seater body added some time during its life; and a T-head, 12-14-h.p. Sunbeam tourer. There are also some old motor-cycles, Triumph, Rex and Rudge-Multi, two spare De Dion engines and some sound tyres of 760 x 90, 650 x 65 and 24 x 2.
Forrest Lycett’s 8-litre Bentley is still stored at Bray. A. E. Maiden reports excellent service from Woodfield and Turner, Parsonage Mills, Keighley Green, Burnley, when he needed pistons for a 1927 Sunbeam Sixteen. This firm has quite a stock of vintage spares, notably Vauxhall, Alvis and Sunbeam, but nothing for Bentley or “30/98.” A sound 1911 Adler landaulette is reported to stand behind a corrugated iron garage in the Kyle of Lochalsh, and is for sale, if any Scottish enthusiast craves an Edwardian motor-car. It was apparently driven in from Balmacra, up a 1-in-7 hill; it boasts dual ignition and the tyres are good. While on the subject of veterans, the Association of Pioneer Motorcyclists lost its records in the war and Secretary Burney asks that any member who has not heard from him this year send their address to him at Cedar Cottage, Marlow, Bucks.
Comdr. McNab, the well-known pioneer motor-cyclist, is running a “12/50” Alvis and Boddy hopes to have re-acquired his 1924 big-port duck’s-back car from Archer by the time these notes appear in print. Then Norman Smith would like to find someone who would exchange or part-exchange a Type 44, 49 or 57 Bugatti for his 1929 Bentley 4 1/2-litre Mulliner saloon, which has 1931 engine and chassis mods. He also knows of a D.I.S.S. Delage, with rough bodywork, but cared-for by Shortt, and has some Lancia “Lambda” spares available.
The present tendency for the oldest cars to be saleable propositions has brought out more advertisements for early small cars, the latest applying to a 1923 Wolseley and a 1921 Singer Ten. If any reader requires rapid transport about the place, we can put him on to a pilot who offers two-engined transport for 2s. 6d. a mile, anytime, anywhere. S. C. H. Davies would be very glad to hear of any photographs showing his 1897 Bollee at or in the London Cavalcade and the Editor of Motor Sport would like to hear of any of the 1913 Hispano-Suiza. Incidentally, Davis’s young son was doing “mechanic” for the first time and definitely following in his famous father’s footsteps.
At “The Model Engineer” Exhibition the models of interest to us included the Rootes Group vehicles to 1/10th scale, a model car with a 20-c.c. 4-cylinder o.h.c. petrol engine, a number of none-too-realistic but fast petrol-engined racing cars belonging to members of the Pioneer Model Car Club, and two working-type, 4-cylinder petrol engines, one of 14-c.c. The September issue of the Model Car News contains a plan of an E.R.A., a survey of model steering gear, an article on the 1912 G.P. Peugeot as a subject worth modelling, and other features of interest to car enthusiasts as well as practical model makers. The publishers are Percival Marshall, Ltd., 23, Great Queen Street, W.C.2.
Out in Australia, Vinall, of the V.S.C.C. of A., has fitted a Minerva-braked Delage front axle to his lowered “30/98” Vauxhall. At a recent speed hill-climb quite a lot of the Australian vintagents had bothers — a “30/98” threw a rod en route, a “14/40” Vauxhall bent a selector fork on the line, a 1923 3-litre Bentley had clutch trouble, and another “30/98” broke its fan belt.
Returning to like happenings over here, when Boddy had the bottom gear of his 1913 “Alphonse” Hispano-Suiza break into four pieces recently, Alan Southon, of the Phoenix Green Garage, effected a most efficient repair, enabling the old car to leave on time for the Cardiff Cavalcade. Tim Carson’s F.W.D. Citroen is another car cared-for by this concern. F. W. Kerridge, Ltd., of Alton, Hants, display in their window a well-preserved 1910, single-cylinder Swift two-seater, with 3/4-elliptic rear suspension. The first order undertaken by Massey Riddle at his Gosport works was a rebuild of a Type 37 Bugatti for Lieut. Dick Staddon, R.N. The engine has twin Solex carburetters and a Scintilla “Vertex” magneto with supporting stay. The car pulls a 3.85-to-1 top gear, gives 27-28 m.p.g., runs at 21 m.p.h. per 1,000 r.p.m. in top, is finished black with outside exhaust system, and is said to weigh 12 1/2 cwt.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery — so we note with blushes that the N.Z.S.C.C. is asking for “Cars I Have Owned” articles for its Bulletin.
W. J. Cope, of Cardiff, sold his M.G. when he was posted abroad with the R.A.F. and would like to discover its present whereabouts. It is a rebuilt 1931 Montlhèry Midget, registered number RX 8627, and he last saw it in 1939, in Southampton. An old Bean saloon was noticed in Penarth recently, while there is a Kissle running about in London. Kenneth Mason has for disposal a Type 40 Bugatti gearbox and seeks a water-pump for his “Brescia” Bugatti. The latter he has again modified since his return from India and it now weighs only 13 1/4 cwt. in full road trim. Mason also has one of the last 995-c.c. Fiat “Balillas” to come to this country (it was registered in November, 1939), and he has improved the output of this car, reduced its weight to 10 3/4 cwt., and is fitting a fully-streamlined body.
R. C. Sanders is rebuilding an early G.P. Salmson with the “push-pull” engine. He is with General Aircraft, Ltd., where they are notably keen on vintage cars, Warham running a bullnose M.G. and someone else a 1926 Austin Seven. Then a reader wants to know how to tune an o.h.c. Morris Minor, his first car, and F. Davey intends to rebuild a 1929 “Chummy” Austin Seven.
A Cardiff garage possesses a Bentley B.R.2 rotary aero engine in moderately good condition.
W./Cmdr. Scott Hepburn has a twin o.h.c., Alfa-Romeo, once owned by Nervé Coatalen, and Lt.-Col. G. MacWatters, 0.B.E., T.D., has acquired a 1936 Mk. II Aston-Martin. Condolences to Hutton-Stott, whose magnificent motoring library was lost in a fire at Speen Place. Fortunately, all his veteran cars were saved. P. A. Densham seeks to form a register of 2-litre Lagonda owners and perhaps start a club for these cars. Will owners please write to him for a questionnaire form, c/o National Provincial Bank, Ltd., Lime Street, E.C.3. Charlie Martin came ashore for the Brighton Speed Trials and, as someone remarked, “everyone in sporting motoring was there.”
Parham’s of Portsmouth have a few beaded-edge tyres, 815 by 105, 880 by 120, etc. “30/98” Vauxhalls seem to be more popular than ever, and Alan May’s fine performances at Brighton should keep them so. Major Calcott, R.E.M.E., has been using Lt-Col. Cardew’s car, OE 228, in India, and hopes to bring the car back to England with him this month. It is described in “as new” condition, and has covered an immense mileage since its last overhaul. Lt.-Col. Cardew also owns 1909 “Silver Ghost” and Continental “Phantom II” Royce cars. Toni Darbishire is in the same unit, a major in charge of vehicle trials. Major Calcott seeks an open Talbot 105 for his own use. Alan Southon’s partner, John Jackson, runs a very choice “Red Label” 3-litre Bentley. J. A. March seeks a modern A.C.-Six engine, less gearbox, so that he can get his blitzed A.C. back on the road. There were two early-type M.G.s for sale at a garage on the Staines – Egham road.
A topical shot by Guy Griffiths, of the Brighton Speed Trials our most important post-war speed trial, figures on the front cover this month. The animated scene at the start shows “Bira,” whose old 3-litre Maserati made second fastest time, about to commence its duel with Cowell’s all-independently-sprung 2-litre Alta.
The C.S.M.A. “Gazette,” reporting the July Prescott meeting: ” . . . Davenport is urging the ‘Spider’ . . . away up at the last bend he has caused tremendous amusement after leaving the road by leaping the hedge . . .”
New Zealand Sports Car Club
Last March this club had 54; members and definitely the right ideas. Its “Bulletin,” the front cover of which photographically depicted Mackintosh’s T.T. Replica Frazer-Nash in a speed event, contained descriptions of a member’s Triumph “Speed Twin,” the Gardner-diesel Bentley, a 700-mile run from Dunedin to the Eglinton Valley and Southern Lakes and back in a “20/70” Hillman, and the story of a D.8 Delage, etc. The club captain had an article on the fastest car in the club and, after considering 4.3 Alvis, Railton, S.S.100, single-seater Austin Seven, 4 1/2-litre Bentley, T.T. Frazer-Nash, “30/98” Vauxhall, etc., awarded the honour to Wellesley-Coney’s “Speed Six” Bentley saloon, with “4.13” Alvis and 100 m.p.h. ex-Fontes Invicta as runners-up. This was based on 0-50 m.p.h. in under 8 seconds and a maximum of over 100 m.p.h. Hasterbrook-Smith describes interesting cars in Auckland, which include “Brooklands” Riley Nine, O.E. “30/98” Vauxhall, the model-T Ford Messenger Special, 4 1/2-litre Bentley, “Ulster” Austin Seven, 1910 4-cylinder Austin, a sleeve-valve Daimler-propelled Mercédès, a big Hispano-Suiza, a “MontIhèry” M.G., and, for good measure, Messenger’s 1921 straight-eight racing T.T. Sunbeam. Auckland boasts masses of Singers, Wolseleys and M.G.s. Another interesting article is that in which Trevor Wickham compares his 1934 A.C. Six saloon with a 1923 3-litre Bentley, finding the Bentley a sabre, the A.C. a rapier. The club was undecided whether to develop as it started or to become a sort of executive committee comprising representatives from New Zealand’s local clubs, to which these provincial clubs would be affiliated. This was being put to the vote — we rather suspect that the voting will favour this live body continuing as before. Hon. secretary, J. T. Wickham, Gordon Road, Plimmerton, A.C.
Vintage Motor Cycle Club has issued its rules in neat booklet form. It has adopted the one and only J. J. Hall as its president and the Lounge Café, Hog’s Back, Surrey, as its headquarters. Its vice-presidents are: C. E. Allen, B.E.M., H. C. M. Beaumont, Brig. C. V. Bennett, O.B.E., M.I.M.E., W. Boddy, Editor of Motor Sport, A. B. Bourne, Editor of the Motor Cycle, Wing-Comdr. A. M. Maclachlan, Lieut.-Comdr. F. A. McNab, and Graham Walker, Editor of Motor-Cycling. The club is for owners of motor-cycles manufactured before Dec. 31st, 1930. The entrance fee is 10s. and annual subscription 10s., and already this club is a power in the land. Hon. secretary, C. S. Barney, A.M.I.A.E., Cedar Cottage, Marlow, Bucks.
V.S.C.C. of A.
The June issue of the ever-welcome Vintage Car, organ of the Vintage Sports Car Club of Australia, contains No. 14 of R. G. Shepherd’s “Vintage Types,” this being a very comprehensive write-up of the “36-220” S.S. Mercédès-Benz, with the usual excellent art supplement. The cover picture is of a Frazer-Nash owned hy Alex MacKinnon, which started life as an Anzani, but later acquired a deflector-head Meadows engine and now has an A.C. Six engine. Before it was shipped from this country, and when it had the triple S.U.s, it lapped Brooklands at about 94 m.p.h. The King’s Birthday saw two speed hill-climbs held, one at Foley’s Hill, the other at Glen Osmond. The class winners in the former were: Lyell’s Austin Seven Special, 32 sec., from Ansell’s “Ulster” Austin, 34.3 sec.; Najar’s “TB” M.G. in record time of 24.2 sec., from a “TA”; MacKinnon’s A.C.-engined Frazer-Nash in 27.7 sec. from a Lancia “Lambda,” and Ewing’s Buick-Special, which made f.t.d. in 22.9 sec. At Glen Osmond, a Ford Ten beat an Austin Seven in the stock car class and Vinall’s “30/98” Vauxhall won the members’ vintage car class. Uffindell’s “K3” M.G. Won the open championship in 21.2 sec. from Vinall (22.0 sec.). A model-A Ford-engined “special” and a V-twin J.A.P.engined “special” gave demonstration runs, clocking 21.2 sec. and 24.2 sec., respectively. The up-to-2-litres class was won by Cribb’s M.G. “Magna,” in 23 sec., from Uffindell’s Austin Seven. Uffindell’s “K3” M.G. then won the blown-and-over-2-litres class in 21.8 sec. from Harrison’s Ford V8 “special.” The Ford aforementioned was then against the “KB,” doing 20.7 sec. the M.G.’s 21.8. Over 5,000 spectated. A pleasing feature of club is the way in which members in apologies if they find they attend a meeting. Recently-elected members possess 2-litre Austin Seven and “30/98” Vauxhall Hon. secretary; R. Beal Pritchett, Philip Street, Neutral Bay, N.S.W.
The October “Rembrandt”
Rivers Fletcher is organising the gathering of enthusiasts at the Rembrandt Hotel, Kensington, on Sunday October 13th, at 12 noon. A “fork luncheon” at 1.30 p.m. will be followed by fun and games, the nature of which will be announced later. Tickets, at 15s. each, are limited in number — so order now. They are available from A. F. Rivers Fletcher, 4, Eversleigh Road, New Barnet, Herts.
The 750 Club has now produced a printed magazine, contributors to which include Birkett (who is Editor), Mallock and Butler.
The Motor-Cycling Club will hold the classic One-Day Sporting Trial in the Buxton area on November 2nd, followed by the traditional dinner and dance. Nice work, “Jackie” Masters!
Veteran Car Club Run
It is really splendid news that there will be another Veteran Car Run to Brighton, this year — on November 17th. It will be confined to veterans build prior to December 31st, 1904, and entries must be sent to the R.A.C. by October 14th. Cars of 1894-1896 will be required to average 10 m.p.h., those of 1897-1900, 12 m.p.h., those of 1901-1902, 14 m.p.h., and those of 1903-1904, 18 m.p.h. Secret checks will obviate any suggestion of a race.
Three Bugattis in succession! First, a very smart black Type 37 G.P. arrived one showery Saturday afternoon and we were invited to conduct it. A delightful little car in every way, the cockpit truly “engine-room” and the pedals so close-set as to call definitely for tennis shoes. The “sound effects” were immense, the exhaust having a hard, metallic sound (rather like a loose big-end) as the revs rose, and the gears whining merrily. The gear-change was most difficult to judge on short acquaintance with the car, because the engine speed went up by leaps and bounds and the outside lever moved the opposite way from normal, albeit in a very positive manner. The whole car possessed the solid feel expected of a G.P. and obviously got along very rapidly, acceleration of a high order coming most naturally. During my spell at the wheel I first of all got mixed up in streams of London-bound traffic along A30 and then probably did not exceed 70 along the few short straights remaining on the run home. But the noise, the wind about the aero screen, one’s right arm, as passenger, draped over the short tail, and the view along the very brief, many-louvred bonnet, remain as pleasant memories of brief acquaintance with a very genuine motor-car, so different even from the sports car as one normally encounters it.
The next Bugatti was a Type 44, little more than a chassis, with seats hastily nailed in place for purposes of a test run. The smoothness and comparative silence of the straight-eight engine was in contrast to the Type 37, and the acceleration was most vivid, taking us up into the seventies along the shortest of favourable bits. Indeed, here was the “hit-in-theback” getaway of the real motor-car, allied to a suggestion of effortless, reliable travel which Ettore brought in with this model, so that one somehow associates it with closed coachwork. The particular car we are writing of, now with four-seater body, was, as we have observed, then but a chassis and its cornering liable to be interesting in consequence, nearly all the weight being off the rear wheels. But, even then, it handled safely, possessed good brakes and generally represented a very fine way of going from place to place.
The third Bugatti was none other than a Type 57SC coupé, and although the mileage in it was very limited, here was so evidently one of the world’s great cars, nice to drive in spite of its width, noisy but not unduly so, and with a most attractive body in which headroom, visibility, both from the passenger’s and the driver’s viewpoint, and driving position were all that could be desired.
After we had rushed along Surrey secondary roads in the “57SC,” there were two Allards to sample, pre-war models, one as distinctly “sports” as the other might be said to be “touring,” and both very desirable cars, with an added note of dependability implied by having Ford engines beneath their bonnets. We have said before that in an Allard the suggestion of Ford is better concealed, the advantages of the “special” better emphasised, than in any other Fordbase sports car; brief experience of these two diverse Allards confirmed this sentiment. The next excitement was the taking of “Alphonse,” the 1913 Hispano-Suiza, to Cardiff for the second Jubilee Cavalcade. Collecting him the night before from the Phoenix Green Garage, he first set his engine temporarily alight, with that awesome noise akin to water running out of a bath, and then came home like a perfect gentleman, finding a saloon that we followed for the sake of its modern illuminations too slow for his liking round corners. Not too frightfully early on the morrow we stowed fire-extinguisher, spare fuel, suitcases and an optimistically small assortment of tools in the old car, showed him to the “village” while we visited the bank, and we were on our way. Oil pressure, normally but half-a-pound per square inch, humoured by the cool, wet weather, stood at several pounds and the manner of our going was inspiring, to us at any rate, although the lack of effective shock-absorption was most noticeable over rough going and occasional ominous crunchings came from below the floor-boards. However, Basingstoke came and went, then Newbury, our cruising speed being a steady 45 m.p.h. or thereabouts. Occasionally the lower gears would go in to aid our pick-up, third howling abominably (it is a useful ratio, doubtless meshed frequently throughout the car’s life by successive happy owners), second less noisy and, incidentally, now the lowest forward ratio remaining in the box. At other times the pulling power in top gear up long inclines was enjoyed, the 180-mm. stroke engine thumping out its song, and not unduly sensitive to the ignition setting, either.
So we came over the downs to Cricklade, with no more untoward happening than the loss of the speedometer belt. But, alas, as we moved the slender outside gear-lever across into neutral in pulling up outside an hotel, it went solid, then too free in all positions. Lunch first, we said, after which — work. Which was what we did. The luckless passenger thereafter lifted the lid of the gearbox, which entailed removing the electric starter and the massive plate that carries it, and we were able to peer inside. With immeasurable relief we found the trouble to rest with the selector mechanism, not the gears. Resetting the rods and forks was a matter of moments and then, the lid of the box replaced, we were on our way, in heavy showers, heading for Gloucester. With his cut-out shut, “Alphonse” is quiet enough if you overlook a certain mechanical clatter from beneath the wide bonnet. But he needs a fair amount of driving, steadying him for corners with light pressure on the foot transmission brake, pulling on the inside right-hand brake lever to secure squeaky but effective retardation from the expanding brakes on the rear wheels. If a corner is come upon too suddenly, the technique is to leave this handbrake engaged at a suitable position along its ratchet quadrant and, while the car is thus retarded, engage third gear by a double-declutch involving very little speeding up of the engine, the ratios being delightfully close. Effective on dry roads, the brakes need care in the wet, added to which “Alphonse” tends to skip about a bit on bumpy surfaces and hints that he would like to indulge in the “dreaded sideslip” if it is raining. Fortunately, his steering, being very high-geared and reasonably accurate, looks after these desires, if one overcomes its heaviness at low speeds and that tendency, which many old cars have, of the road wheels trying to take charge of the steering-wheel if a bad bump sends the axle dancing.
Taking it all in all, however, this is a wholly delightful car and it motored on and on, quite effortlessly, so that, as the unsettled afternoon wore on, we negotiated Gloucester and came into Wales. Occasionally the selectors would resume their tricks, but the passenger had discovered that the handle of an adjustable spanner would re-set them, if manipulated through the gearbox’s generous-sized oil filler orifice, so that the gearbox lid could be left on and much time saved thereby. We stopped at times to carry out this operation, if the country ahead appeared to offer appreciable up or down gradients. But as we had safely descended the Birdlip detour earlier on, we were not unduly troubled. The road into Newport is excellent and along it a challenging Ford grew smaller and smaller in the mirror. Cardiff greeted us with heavy rain, crawling trams, suicidal pedestrians and traffic jams. But eventually the Hispano was away in a garage alongside earlier veterans.
Next day we had a short, exciting ride in a wooden-wheeled, solid-tyred 1902 Arrol-Johnston and then commenced “Alphonse,” using him as transport to the Exhibition of Models at Howell’s Store, before parking him for the Cavalcade.
Memories of that event linger — schoolgirls reading a letter about the car from Automobiles Hispano which we put on the windscreen, as a useful exercise in French; a little girl commenting on how dirty the car was (it had come 150 miles of course!), but, showing no real enthusiasm when we asked if she would help us to clean it, and someone ticking us off good and proper because a 1913 car shouldn’t have a spring-spoke steering wheel (how right he is, and how difficult to find a substitute). There was also the very officious police sergeant who ordered us to get into our car as the Admiral was arriving or else stand behind the ropes, remarking that just because we had Press badges we must not consider ourselves privileged persons. As the Admiral was then about twenty minutes overdue and nowhere in sight this made us rather cross — seriously, Cardiff, when you invite people to come and display their cars your police should not treat drivers and Press representatives as if they had no right to be present.
Turning to happier things, that evening we used “Alphonse” as perfectly normal transport to go into Penarth in order to “see the sea,” a job he performed admirably. Incidentally, only one car had overtaken him on the run down, and that an R.A.F. Humber “Super Snipe” up an incline going into Cardiff itself.
On the Sunday there was a revival of that almost forgotten enjoyment — finding oneself in an hotel a long way from home and an interesting, car awaiting you for the day’s journey. Moreover, the weather looked more settled and actually turned out sunny and warm. Many motor-coaches were encountered at first, later slow-moving holiday traffic. Chepstow Hill was climbed easily, but on a subsequent steep gradient which we foolishly attempted without ensuring that second gear could be engaged, a scarcely-moving lorry proved our downfall. Little saloons, full of humanity and suitcases, which we had overtaken miles back, now came whirring past. But when we had recovered second gear, “Alphonse” restarted, his engine beats falling almost to zero, then building up steadily. Soon the moderns had been overtaken again. Gloucester produced adverse traffic lamps with only third and top in action, and a huge policeman waved us over against the red, only to ask if we had a licence. Here it was we saw two Bentleys, their Prescott numbers still in evidence. A stop was made to find second gear, and in that ratio of about 6 to 1 we ascended Birdlip proper, actually accelerating near the summit after a rousing climb with the cut-out open and not a trace of steam from the radiator. Encouraged, we were able to give two hitch-hikers a lift into Swindon and so, on a pleasant afternoon, we came home to Hampshire, arriving at 4 o’clock, having left Cardiff rather after 10 a.m. and stopping for lunch, and to visit Tim Carson for a few moments, and having been overtaken only by a motorcycle and a Rover saloon. In the words of the road-tests, “only about two pints of water and no oil were added,” and fuel consumption came out, roughly, at 17-20 m.p.g.
That would have been enough possibly for some, but we started out, an hour or so later, for Royston, in the stern-sheets of a particularly fine Type 44 Bugatti, bodied like a Type 43, but far quieter as to engine and gearbox. This was truly grand motoring, 3,600 r.p.m. (80 m.p.h.) coming up easily, given a clear enough road. We went via Bagshot, Windsor Park, Slough and into Bucks. Then we reached Watford and made for A1. The time taken from Fleet to Royston is perhaps better left unwritten, although in the Bugatti it was a perfectly sane, effortless achievement. The return run was just as pleasing, very fast, the Bugatti riding steadily, the gears going in with scarcely a sound, the acceleration and braking fitting accompaniment to the speed. Darkness had now descended, but for a time London lay on our left as a pool of light. A meal at a well-known all-night café after Baldock, and we settled down to a fast cross-country journey home, the car “alive” in true Molsheim manner in spite of its comparative silence, the exhaust flashing back with fearsome reports on the over-run, the night star-lit and warm, and lights still burning in deserted towns.
We finally got to bed at 3 a.m., with over 300 miles combined Edwardian and vintage motoring to the day’s credit. Mere words cannot adequately describe the joy of the thing.
We regret to have to report that Robert Abuthnot, the London motor dealer and Mercédès specialist, was killed in a road accident on August 30th. It seems that a Buick coming towards his 2-litre Peugeot burst a front tyre at speed and swerved across the road, so that both cars collided. Arbuthnot, of course, was responsible for taking a V12 Lagonda to this year’s Indianapolis.
Vivian-Brann has died in hospital. A keen sports-car owner, he was just getting down to motor-racing filming for “Pathé Pictorial,” and was going to give the Sport some extremely useful publicity. We suggest that the finest appreciation his colleagues can show him will be to carry on this good work, in which this cheery, happy-go-lucky personality was so intensely keen. Our sincere condolences go to his wife.
A Promising Shelsley Walsh
There is every promise of a most interesting meeting at the first combined car and motorcycle meeting to be held at Shelsley Walsh since 1912. The date is October 5th and entries (which were by invitation only) include Raymond Mays with the record-holding E.R.A., Parnell’s Delage, the Lightweight, the “Spider,” Abecassis’s Alta, Connell and Ansell with E.R.A.s, Gerard’s E.R.A., the Brooke-Special, Taylor’s Alta, Bolster’s Bolster-Special, Cowell’s Alta, Monkhouse’s Bugatti, Johnson’s Darracq, Frith’s Norton, Bills’s Norton, and the Brough-Superiors of Noel Pope and Bob Berry.