Bishop's Castle Nostalgia
For those who wanted to live in the past for a couple of days over August Bank Holiday weekend, the annual Bishop’s Castle Rally had almost everything — the dignity of steam engines from an 1881 Marshall Portable to 1937 Sentinel S4s and a 1910 Stanley steam-car, the putter-putter of stationary engines (the oldest a 1910 3hp Famous), the music of seven fairground-organs, and the clamour of the fairground itself.
Other attractions, included veteran and vintage vehicles. The latter seemed a little less prolific this year, perhaps because the organisers insist on the entrants bearing the full brunt of any accidents. Motorcycles, tractors and commercials were out in force however, and the vintage and post vintage cars included a couple of 3-litre Bentleys, Probert’s nice 10/23 Talbot saloon,the inevitable A7s (a Nippy, Cup Model, top-hat saloon, Ulster Replica and a Special) and many larger Austins, including early 12/4s with those railway-carriage door handles, a 1935 16/6 saloon and a 1938 18hp New Windsor saloon.
That 1931 K25 Renault tourer was there, as rough as ever, and Evason’s interesting 1930 23.8hp Humber landaulette with big d/d carburettor feeding into a water-jacketed manifold; two Rolls-Royce 20s had ventured out, Lea-Francis was represented by King’s P-type, and Banfield’s 1922 disc-wheeled Star saloon had come from Ross-on-Wye.
A smart brass-radiator Model T Ford 7-cwt van representing Ephraim Phillips Ltd, Fasteners & Presswork, made a stark contrast to an XK120 Jaguar bearing a Rallye Alpine plaque. Interesting, too, was a little Wolseley Ten two-seater, its performance to be weighed against that of the Brooklands “Moths”.
This fine overall display was all contained in one vast Shropshire meadow! WB