Miscellany, September 1999
Another racing Lea-Francis, a s/c Hyper WK 7492, has been united with the son of W H Green who drove it at Brooklands in 1928. This led to works drives, at first with his own car, with factory-modified Meadows engine, in the TT, then in an aluminium-bodied Hyper, being placed third. in class at Phoenix Park in 1929, etc. His car was sold in 1935 and after many owners is now back with his son Nicholas Green.
Let us not forget two significant recognitions of motoring history this year. First, the closing of Kop Hill, a public road, for demonstrations by pre-1926 cars and motorcycles to commemorate the last official public road speed hillclimb there in 1925. Then Malvern Council allowed the 1 in 2.8 Wynch hill, to be used for a clay during VSCC Malvern Week by cyclecars, bikes, Morgans and GNs. Praise be to the respective organisers R Martin and R Jones.
The very last fly-in of aeroplanes to Croydon Airport, disused since 1959, is destined for September 12.
The National 750 MC’s Austin 7 Beaulieu Event went off well as usual, with more prize winners than space permits naming. The best foreign Seven was Alan Vallence’s Rosengart.