Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP return confirmed with wildcard Catalunya entry

MotoGP

Three-time MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo will return to racing with Yamaha seven months after his retirement

Jorge Lorenzo riding for Yamaha in the 2020 preseason Sepang MotoGP test

Lorenzo riding for Yamaha in this season's Sepang test

DPPI

Jorge Lorenzo will race at this season’s MotoGP Catalunya Grand Prix, seven months after announcing his retirement from motorcycle racing.

The three-time MotoGP champion will take Yamaha’s wildcard entry for the June 7 event, he announced in a video on his Instagram account.

The 30-year old had said: “I’m done with it, I don’t want to race anymore,” at last year’s Valencia Grand Prix, following two serious crashes that had damaged his spine.

Related article

He was released from his two-year Honda contract, without any restrictions on signing for other teams.

Eleven weeks later, he was announced as Yamaha’s test rider. When Yamaha secured a wildcard entry to the Catalunya race, the rumours of a Lorenzo comeback began.

Today, the team confirmed his involvement. “[Jorge Lorenzo] will be riding aboard the Yamaha YZR-M1 as a MotoGP Wild Card at the Catalunya GP,” it said in a Tweet.