Motor Sport is looking for a new Head of Features with ideas, creativity and excellent journalistic skills to produce key content in the magazine and online
Motor Sport is looking for a driven and organised senior journalist to take on the newly created role of Head of Features. The successful candidate will support the Editor and Digital Editor in all aspects of editorial planning and of feature creation and production in the magazine and website. The Head of Features will also deputise for the Editor in their absence and work closely with marketing and commercial departments on editorial content for events and podcasts. This is a key role for a proven journalist who has previous experience as a features or deputy editor.
- To originate editorial ideas for the magazine and be responsible for the commissioning of all magazine feature stories.
- To contribute feature ideas and content to the daily website schedule
- To manage a roster of freelance journalists and specialist reporters, assess all copy before it makes the page and discuss rewrites where necessary.
- To set up track track-tests and complex logistical features that comprise multiple partners and ensure the smooth-running of the operation.
- To identify digital news story write-offs from magazine features.
- To cultivate and develop a culture of digital and print communication and coordination.
- To help bring creativity to planning how we cover key events in the magazine and across different digital platforms, including social and e-mail.
- To handle legal problems in conjunction with the Editor.
- To develop and edit, in consultation with the Editor, relevant supplements and spin-offs for the magazine.
- To attend and contribute to editorial schedule meetings and help set the direction of each month’s magazine ensuring appropriate mix of content and tone.
- To represent the magazine as a brand ambassador at all time including outside the office, where appropriate, and attending relevant events.
- Exceptional journalistic skills
- Exceptional organisational ability
- Strong contacts within automotive/racing PR and freelance worlds
- Initiative and a can-do attitude
- Excellent team player
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Good creative sense for words and pictures
- Previous experience in a senior editorial role
Applicants should send their CV with a short covering letter addressed to the editor at [email protected] by Monday 12 August.
We are only able to contact those selected for interview.