Sérgio Sette Câmara named Red Bull test and reserve driver for 2020

F1

Sérgio Sette Câmara has left McLaren to rejoin the Red Bull driver programme and will take up the role of test and reserve driver

Sergio Sette Camara

Getty

Sérgio Sette Câmara has joined AlphaTauri as reserve driver, leaving McLaren where he had the same role.

The 21-year-old is rejoining the Red Bull driver programme and will share the role of test and reserve driver for both Red Bull and AlphaTauri alongside Sébastien Buemi.

Sette Câmara finished fourth in last year’s Formula 2 championship with the DAMS team, securing the necessary number of superlicence points for Formula 1.

This year, the Brazilian will be a travelling member of the team throughout the 2020 season.

“I am extremely happy to join the Red Bull family as Official Test & Reserve driver for the 2020 Formula One season alongside Sébastian,” he said.

“I’ve been watching F1 since I was five years old and I’m humbled to have been given this opportunity to work with Scuderia AlphaTauri and Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.”

Sette Câmara had been a part of the Red Bull driver family before, signing with the team in 2016, though was dropped from the programme the following year.

His F1 test and reserve role with McLaren last season included time in the 2019 MCL34, taking part in the post-Spanish Grand Prix test with the British team.

More recently, he took part in IndyCar pre-season testing at the Circuit of the Americas with Carlin.

Sette Câmara also took part in the Formula E rookie test at the beginning of the month with Geox Dragon, ending the day second fastest.